Get your guns down

Quoner

You are way off base if you think that Tech was born with a "silver spoon"

Tech is in Lubbock. Enough said...

Tech succeeds because it is well supported by alumni who contribute in the legislature and financially....Tech makes its own way.

Tech is in exactly the same position as NT relative to UT and A&M. They receive no special funding because they are Tech, they raise their own money(about a million dollars a week).

Tech on balance has been more successful in generating revenue because they have stronger local and alumni support. This is why they are a smaller school in the Big 12 and NT is in the Sunbelt...

NT is in the metroplex and has a larger enrollment than Tech. If any school had a "silver spoon" it would be NT.

---I am more concerned about universities that never seem to have any academic problems... those probably just pass people just because they are an athlete. I think we (NT) lost a QB lately (plus other players) and when I was a student at NT we had an outstanding MVC basketball player that seemed to elgible every other semester. I don't think a few students being declared inelgible is an insult at all.... it indicates grades are earned and not given.

---This latest situation about the Tech outlaw action I had not heard but I live 120 miles away and hear very little bad about athletic students there. Many of them come come this area and don't seem to be problem people.

--Tech also has the additional problem in recruiting that NT and others don't have... the location is very unattractive to many potential students or athletes. (no beach, no lakes, no mountains, no big city or big city night life nearby, and the surrounding area looks pretty bleak most of the school year). That is one reason the enrollment of NT has passed Tech and soon Texas State will also. My kids toke one look at Tech and stated they were going elsewhere (North Texas and TAMU).... That area makes Midland look like paradise especially on windy days. As one of them said "Lubbock is a dirty Midland", and went to North Texas and now lives in Richardson.

The terrain out here is one reason that the locals are so loyal and in involved in sports and tend to be good at most of them .....not a lot of else to do ... no "big league" pro sports or many college teams to support in competiton to high schools or other outdoor activites such as fishing, hunting, or just wondering around in the sticks. We make our own fun and usually are rather friendly...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--Tech also has the additional problem in recruiting that NT and others don't have... the location is very unattractive to many potential students or athletes.  (no beach, no lakes, no mountains, no big city  or big city night life nearby, and the surrounding area looks pretty bleak most of the school year).  That is one reason the enrollment of NT has passed Tech and soon Texas State will also.  My kids toke one look at Tech and stated they were going elsewhere.... That area makes Midland look like paradise especially on windy days.

sorry, Tech is in the big 12. that trumps NT's "metroplex advantage" in recruiting times 30. The metroplex angle may work for student enrollment (I assure you one of the many reasons I didnt attend Tech was its location) but I dont think its the same for athletes- especially when you are talking about the sunbelt vs BCS.

sorry, Tech is in the big 12. that trumps NT's "metroplex advantage" in recruiting times 30. The metroplex angle may work for student enrollment (I assure you one of the many reasons I didnt attend Tech was its location) but I dont think its the same for athletes- especially when you are talking about the sunbelt vs BCS.

True..... if you talk about us only ..... but is a disavantage when competing against other Big-12 teams and some others.

You are way off base if you think that Tech was born with a "silver spoon"

Tech is in Lubbock. Enough said...

Tech succeeds because it is well supported by alumni who contribute in the legislature and financially....Tech makes its own way.

Tech is in exactly the same position as NT relative to UT and A&M. They receive no special funding because they are Tech, they raise their own money(about a million dollars a week).

Tech on balance has been more successful in generating revenue because they have stronger local and alumni support. This is why they are a smaller school in the Big 12 and NT is in the Sunbelt...

NT is in the metroplex and has a larger enrollment than Tech. If any school had a "silver spoon" it would be NT

with all due respect, you are off your rocker if you think North Texas has a silver spoon. tech is in exactly the same position as NT relative to UT and A&M? what? really? relative in what sense? we receive a better education than tech students like UT and A&M but if you are talking about money, then you might need to check your statistics again. tech does have better alumni support and local support. i agree 100% but to say that they are in the Big 12 because of that is forgetting those oh i don't know 40 YEARS that you were in the Southwest Conference. you don't think that your better alumni base correlates to the fact that you have been in a major conference for 50+ years now? and the local support... i think you have already answered this question yourself. come on, it's lubbock! huh.gif

How does Tech get all those students to such an ugly place? I guess some students chose their school by other criteria...

Tech wasn't born with a Big 12 "silver spoon"

They started in the Border Conf. and petitioned for many years to get admitted to the SWC. They played SWC teams and had a strong following. SMU strongly opposed their membership and it wasn't until thousands of Tech supporters cut up their Neiman-Marcus cards and sent them to Stanley Marcus did they get in.

SWC membership and strong legislative support by Tech alumni was a springboard to the B12.

Had Hayden Fry stayed at NT and had NT developed a stong following like Tech, NT might be in the B12 now...