Trouble Joining the Mean Green Club

rcade

As a followup to an earlier topic, my attempt to join the Mean Green Club this month has been unsuccessful, and I think it shows some ineptness on the part of our athletic program.

UNT's web site for athletics tells people they can make a Mean Green Club donation by visiting this Ticketmaster link. But when you choose to make a donation on that site, you get this error message:

"Sorry, the group of plans you have selected is currently unavailable online. Call 800-2366 for more information."

That's not the actual number of the department, which is (800) 868-2366.

I called and left a message with Assistant Athletic Director Hank Dickenson saying I'd like to join, giving them my phone number and e-mail address. Over a week has passed and I haven't been contacted.

Hate to take shots at Dickenson, since I'm a big fan of his color commentary during the games, but I shouldn't have to work this hard to give them money.

I joined when I called and ordered my season tix, but my bank account was never charged for MGC..

So I called Mandy and we had it all resolved in a few minutes. She was very nice and helpful.

That's what I was expecting to happen.

I posted this to see if my experience is typical *and* to call attention to the fact that online donations aren't working.

I called and left a message with Assistant Athletic Director Hank Dickenson saying I'd like to join, giving them my phone number and e-mail address. Over a week has passed and I haven't been contacted.

Hate to take shots at Dickenson, since I'm a big fan of his color commentary during the games, but I shouldn't have to work this hard to give them money.

Strange. I've never experienced Hank failing to return a phone call or e-mail.

That's what I was expecting to happen.

I posted this to see if my experience is typical *and* to call attention to the fact that online donations aren't working.

I too had trouble with the TicketMaster site in the summer making some changes to renewals. It finally got straighted out after a month and several conversations with the ticket office. I learned to make any changes directly with the ticket office.

I told them and Mandy about the TicketMaster problem and thought it would discourage new members and ticket seekers. I like that potential new fans can get tickets thru TicketMaster but the bugs need to be worked out so it's smooth.

I've never had any problems joining (or renewing) the MGC. Just pick up the phone and call them. The person who answered the phone at the AD when I called was very helpful. My only request of the young man that I talked to was that I didn't want Mandy to get any credit for my joining. He said that he thought that that could be arranged. He also didn't seemed to be the least bit surprised at my request. rolleyes.gif

I usually avoid talking to Mandy if I can.

I got a call from Mandy yesterday and am now a member of the Mean Green Club, subject to NCAA regulations for athletic boosters. Sweet!

She said that the mixup was because my call to the athletic office was forwarded, causing them to lose my number, and they couldn't figure out my e-mail address from the message.

I'm glad this was resolved, but I wish they'd take new Mean Green Club recruitment more seriously than they seem to be taking it. The Donations link on the official UNT athletics site still doesn't work and the error message has the incorrect number "800-2366" as the place to call if you need help donating.

Succeeding in I-A football at UNT is an uphill battle, so they gotta take advantage of opportunities where they are available. It should be dead simple to join and support the Mean Green Club with a credit card online. I know university bureacracy is slow, but how long would it take them to fix this and add a PayPal donation button? I can add one to my web sites in an hour's work.

If anyone in UNT athletics is reading this, I'm a web publisher who runs an online store. I can offer technical assistance if needed, even if just to help you know what to ask for when you contact the school's web/IT people.