WHAT AN INCREDIBLE GAME?

IslandEagle

I wasn't able to make it in from Houston this week, so I listened to it on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of the young men on this team for never giving up, but I am sick and tired of a coaching staff that doesn't utilize the talent we have. I would have been just as bitter if I had been there. I am tired of DD/RF's style of offense. It is boring, it doesn't fully utilize our talent and it typically doesn't put us in position to win. This game should have never gone to OT, let alone 7. You want to know why attendance is stuck around 15,000 on average? The head coach and his OC.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look some of this is pathetic.  i am happy that we won.  like i said earlier, i would NEVER root against UNT. ever.  it's great to be happy that we won but excited?  fans "rushing the field"?  give me a break.  some of you come on here and throw things like that around when we just took 7 OVERTIMES to beat an 0-5 team and you really expect people not to think that you have low expectations?  yeah there may have been some people on this board expecting us to lose to an 0-5 team too.  that's also pathetic.  have some honest to god expectations of this program.  texas should have whooped our a**, they did.  we should have beat SMU, we did and WE EXCEEDED expectations by beating them as bad as we did... that was a great win for us.  we should have made it a game with Tulsa, they killed us.  we should played it close against Akron, we didn't.  Middle TN should have been anybodies game.  they beat us by 35 and again for the 3rd game in a row we played far below expectations.  we should have beat FIU and we did but we shouldn't have taken 7 overtimes.  we played below expectations for the 4th time in 4 games.  that's all there is to it.  be happy with the win, hope that it gains us some momentum and let's hope we go on a roll.  however it was nothing to be excited about or "rush the field" about, that's just a joke....

Where you at the game? Your dry analysis suggests not. And no, a web cast or radio broadcast doesn't count. Try showing up to a game before you pass judgment on how those that invest the support, time, and money celebrate.

I don't care if you've given a million dollars to NT. If you weren't at the game last night you let your school down.

REAL fans sit through the tough times and still cheer on our brothers on that field.

Was it an ugly game? Yes. Is it a little embarissing to be on ESPN with those numbers? Yes. Do changes need to be made. Hell Yes.

But I stormed the field simply because I was proud of my team for winning the game. I was horse, dehydrated and tired, but that was one of the best moments I've had at North Texas.

That game did wonders for our school in ways you can't fathom. Students don't care about the ugly game, we want the win and to have some fun, and last night we got it. Our D stopped them over and over and we cheered them on. FIU players were egging on the student section in OT and we stayed to scream right back. The students were cheering and standing through every OT.

You can bad mouth all you want and tell students they're idiots for storming the field. But our student section was there jumping and screaming right beside the players on the field. Then we all stood togther singing our Alma Mater with the little voice we had left. That is being a fan. That is school spirit. That is loving your team through the good times and the bad. That was fun as hell.

Where were you?

I had plenty of reasons not to be at the game, but I have made a commitment to support my team at every home game and I bring all my buddys. I went to the game and gave my all. My team didn't disappoint at the end of the night. The tower is green and our fans cheered through one hell of a game.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Great post.

Where you at the game? Your dry analysis suggests not. And no, a web cast or radio broadcast doesn't count. Try showing up to a game before you pass judgment on how those that invest the support, time, and money celebrate.

No Chris, I was not at the game. I live in California so sorry, I was unable to attend. However, I didn't miss a home game for four years and I saw some games that warranted fans "rushing" the field. Games were we did things like make our first bowl game and winning conference championships. If I was there or not for this paticular showing against an 0-5 team, I don't think that it has any effect on my opinion about "rushing" the field. It makes us look like amateurs man. Also, I know that you are new to North Texas and to the board. A lot of folks on here just go after someone personally when they can't think of anything else to say and I hope that you don't start doing that. This thread is about football and paticuarly how we should react to this kind of win. That is why I won't even dignify your "try showing up to a game...." sentence. I think it is great for people to disagree but let's not try to turn this thread into a measuring contest.......

No Chris, I was not at the game.  I live in California so sorry, I was unable to attend.  However, I didn't miss a home game for four years and I saw some games that warranted fans "rushing" the field.  Games were we did things like make our first bowl game and winning conference championships.  If I was there or not for this paticular showing against an 0-5 team, I don't think that it has any effect on my opinion about "rushing" the field.  It makes us look like amateurs man.  Also, I know that you are new to North Texas and to the board.  A lot of folks on here just go after someone personally when they can't think of anything else to say and I hope that you don't start doing that.  This thread is about football and paticuarly how we should react to this kind of win.  That is why I won't even dignify your "try showing up to a game...." sentence.  I think it is great for people to disagree but let's not try to turn this thread into a measuring contest.......

I wasn't trying to go after anyone, nor do I intend too. I don't like personal swipes either, and I hope you didn't construe that. It turned out my observation was true however. In all fairness, I knew had to be, b/c if you were at the game you would have understood why we did it... that's all.

But do consider that when you or others say that "pathetic" or "low expectation" fans rushed the field, you in effect make negative personal statements about the fans. BTW, a 1-4 record (now 2-4) makes us look like amateurs, not Mean Green crazed fans.

Edited by chrisfisher

Well put. I didn't see any fans running onto the field to celebrate victories in the late 90's. I'm very glad we have fans that give a s... and are willing to invest their energies and emotions on Saturdays without reservation or agendas. People that use Dickey-hate to denigrate fans' exuberance over a hard-fought emotional win are no friends of this program. Dislike the offense ? OK, fine. We all know it needs some more work. What about the game played thru 7 OT's by the defense ? not worthy ?

I was there... It was not a great game from how well it was played.... but... it was very memorable and one that we will never forget...

The comment about the missed FGs really is a cheap shot. Almost all of them were 30+yards. We are spoiled by seeing NFL guys making these all time, college kids don't. One that kept us playing was an absolute miracle, the holder did not have a good hold and somehow this low line drive went over. I was impressed with this one. One hit the left upright very high up, that happens and is not a big negative. .

UNT played very well after changing QBs near the beginning of the 4th quarter. Meager really changed the looks of things and someone stopped calling those ineffective sideways tosses to Quinn that about got him killed once. The impressive thing to me was that the UNT players did not quit and "got with the program" the final quarter and into overtime. There were a lot of great defensive plays in the portion and a few desparate offensive plays when they were absolutely needed. Wilson earlier, had been too impatient and sometimes ran when it was way too far away to make the yards.

Yes Florida Int. has a poor record but 10 years from now no one will rememeber that part and the list of wins just shows a win for us. Those of us who were there will remember this one forever .... it was not just another game.

I hated quarter three (we were awful) but the guys got it turned around and gave us a great memory....... 7 overtimes...and a win.

A great mental picture I have of the game is Joel N. skipping around in joy after the game...... funny. He was enjoying the win, as should we.

---I was there... It was not a great game from how well it was played.... but... it was very memorable and one that we will never forget...The comment about the missed FGs really is a cheap shot. Almost all of them were 30+yards. We are spoiled by seeing NFL guys making these all time, college kids don't. One that kept us playing was an absolute miracle, the holder did not have a good hold and somehow this low line drive went over. I was really impressed with this one. One hit the left upright very high up, that happens and is not a big negative.

--- UNT played very well after changing QBs near the beginning of the 4th quarter. Meager really changed the looks of things and someone stopped calling those ineffective sideways tosses to Quinn that about got him killed once. The impressive thing to me was that the UNT players did not quit and "got with the program" during the final quarter and into overtime. There were a lot of great defensive plays in the portion and a few desparate offensive plays when they were absolutely needed. Wilson earlier, had been too impatient and sometimes ran when it was way too far away to make the yards.

---Yes Florida Int. has a poor record but 10 years from now no one will remember that part and the list of wins just shows a win for us. Those of us who were there will remember this one forever .... it was not just another game....I hated quarter three (we were awful) but the guys got it turned around and gave us a great memory....... 7 overtimes...and a win. ...A great mental picture I have of the game is Joel N. skipping around in joy after the game...... funny. He was enjoying the win, as should we.

Florida Int. are not as bad as they are unlucky. Theya have lost 5 games by a total of 14 points.

Date Opponent ----------Florida Int.

Thu, Aug 31 at Middle Tennessee L 6-7 --

Sat, Sep 9 at South Florida L 20-21 --

Sat, Sep 16 Bowling Green L 28-33 --

Sat, Sep 23 at Maryland L 10-14 --

Sat, Sep 30 Arkansas State L 6-31 --

Sat, Oct 7 at North Texas L 22-25

And they have to play Miami (Fla) and Alabama next.... poor guys... The don't deserve this...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

UNT played very well after changing QBs near the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Really? 26 yards of offense in 7 OT's is considered "very well"? Hmmm

Go back and compare this game to the other two games that went 7 OT's and compare the amount of points in those OT's vs. this one. I can agree that the Defense must have been spent, but if that is case we should at least be able to muster more than 26 yards of offense especially when your team is playing "very well".