Horrible showing by UNT Tennis at Tech

untbowler

Looks like a bad, bad tournament for the tennis team, not sure why they would forfiet their last matches of the tournament.

Texas Tech Tournament

Looks like overall they went 7-19.

This could be a long season for the tennis ladies unless the coaches can bring in some higher talent at the semester break and get all 6 girls healthy.

Looks like a bad, bad tournament for the tennis team, not sure why they would forfiet their last matches of the tournament.

Texas Tech Tournament

Looks like overall they went 7-19.

This could be a long season for the tennis ladies unless the coaches can bring in some higher talent at the semester break and get all 6 girls healthy.

Turnover to some extent is expected when coaching staffs change, however this team lost almost everyone. The one and two seed, their early signed recruit, and all the depth on the team. I think the new coach will build a great team but it going to take a couple of years.

Turnover to some extent is expected when coaching staffs change, however this team lost almost everyone.  The one and two seed, their early signed recruit, and all the depth on the team.  I think the new coach will build a great team but it going to take a couple of years.

yeah losing your one and 2 players to something other than graduation is not good, not being mean but the one signee before the coach came in is a #7-8 player at best without a ton of practice. Lama though does have a great track record and I think he will have the program turned around in the near future, provided he is not handicapped on where he can recruit.

yeah losing your one and 2 players to something other than graduation is not good, not being mean but the one signee before the coach came in is a #7-8 player at best without a ton of practice. Lama though does have a great track record and I think he will have the program turned around in the near future, provided he is not handicapped on where he can recruit.

Talking about the girl from Hungry, sounded potentially much better than a #7.

Talking about the girl from Hungry, sounded potentially much better than a #7.

no not the Hungarian girl, she should have been in back in January but TOEFL scores were not high enough, my guess at least with a foreign player, so then Dawna picked up Sara Giles from TJC as a stop gap with K. Harris transferring. The TJC pipeline will be tough to mend b/c you don't take another teams player mid-season.

The one recruit was only Champ level player in Texas, most D1 schools will recruit no less than Super-Champ level (i.e Dan Traxler had several TX players ranked Top 15 in the state during his tenure).

Not sure why the Hungarian girl is not here this Fall. AK leaving may have something there, she sounds like she might have been #1 right now.

Love tennis so I'll cross my fingers b/c the Sun Belt teams are strong this year. UALR got 2 very good freshmen in, MTSU landed a top transfer from Purdue, USA is always good along with FIU, Denver, and Troy.

Edited by untbowler

no not the Hungarian girl, she should have been in back in January but TOEFL scores were not high enough, my guess at least with a foreign player, so then Dawna picked up Sara Giles from TJC as a stop gap with K. Harris transferring. The TJC pipeline will be tough to mend b/c you don't take another teams player mid-season.

The one recruit was only Champ level player in Texas, most D1 schools will recruit no less than Super-Champ level (i.e Dan Traxler had several TX players ranked Top 15 in the state during his tenure).

Not sure why the Hungarian girl is not here this Fall. AK leaving may have something there, she sounds like she might have been #1 right now.

Love tennis so I'll cross my fingers b/c the Sun Belt teams are strong this year. UALR got 2 very good freshmen in, MTSU landed a top transfer from Purdue, USA is always good along with FIU, Denver, and Troy.

Several problems with tennis this year. Lost their #1 and 2 players because of DP, and #3 player left at semester due to DP. If RV had gotten rid of DP earlier, they might have kept the top players. Lama took over a good program at UI, it slowly went downhill, and his record last year was similar to UNT. UI had a coach hired very quickly after his announced departure. We'll be lucky if the team does as well as last year.

Several problems with tennis this year.  Lost their #1 and 2 players because of DP, and #3 player left at semester due to DP.  If RV had gotten rid of DP earlier, they might have kept the top players. Lama took over a good program at UI, it slowly went downhill, and his record last year was similar to UNT.  UI had a coach hired very quickly after his announced departure.  We'll be lucky if the team does as well as last year.

Was not to thrilled with how long it took to make the hire but I am excited about the hire. I think Lama knew it was time to leave IL, but he also played a much tougher schedule, but he was able to beat several Top Teams (Top 25), Dawna never beat a Top 75 team.

This year will be tough but if he can bring in 2 Top players then they have a chance to make it to .500 then work from there.

I think yall need to give it time. It is still early in the season. They have the entire fall season to work on things for the spring. I heard they possibly may have someone coming in in January, but not for sure yet. As for # 2 leaving b/c of DP... she isn't here anymore because she failed classes, not b/c she hated DP. Lama is a decent coach, so why did he leave UI?? As for Giles leaving TJC... she obviously got a better offer and couldn't pass it up. That's part of coaching junior college, your players may get good offers and leave at semester. I believe once all six players are able to play, they will be better than last years team.

I think yall need to give it time. It is still early in the season. They have the entire fall season to work on things for the spring. I heard they possibly may have someone coming in in January, but not for sure yet. As for # 2 leaving b/c of DP... she isn't here anymore because she failed classes, not b/c she hated DP. Lama is a decent coach, so why did he leave UI?? As for Giles leaving TJC... she obviously got a better offer and couldn't pass it up. That's part of coaching junior college, your players may get good offers and leave at semester. I believe once all six players are able to play, they will be better than last years team.

Yes the #2 did have grade issues, but I also know for fact from several coaches that she was unhappy after just one semester.

Yes that is also JUCO tennis but you also can not afford to cut your pipeline talent and TJC is one the best in the country for talent.

So are you saying Giles was a cut in talent? Or TJC couldn't afford to lose her? Also, I talked to the number 2 last year and she was always planning on staying, even up until this summer.

Giles is a solid #6 but she was picked up when the Hungarian Girl did not make the scores needed and K. Harris transferred out. Now she is injured unfortnately. She is a good #6 but having to play out of position does not help.

Glad to hear she changed her mind but at semeter she was not happy. Last year hopefully can just be a distant memory.

My friend actually knows the girls on the team pretty well and Giles didn't leave TJC because she didn't like it there. UNT was just a good offer. Also I was reading that she came to the Mean Green Invite last year, playing for TJC, and she beat K. Harris in straight sets. If she was healthy, she would be playing top 3 for sure. She hasn't really been injury-free since she has been here. I heard she played the entire semester last year with a stress fracture. She found out after their last match that it in fact was one. I think you all need to get off their backs and give them time. Yall are so quick to jump on a bad day or tournament. They are not going to make a huge turn around in 2 months. It's going to take time. So just chill out.

My friend actually knows the girls on the team pretty well and Giles didn't leave TJC because she didn't like it there. UNT was just a good offer. Also I was reading that she came to the Mean Green Invite last year, playing for TJC, and she beat K. Harris in straight sets. If she was healthy, she would be playing top 3 for sure. She hasn't really been injury-free since she has been here. I heard she played the entire semester last year with a stress fracture. She found out after their last match that it in fact was one. I think you all need to get off their backs and give them time. Yall are so quick to jump on a bad day or tournament. They are not going to make a huge turn around in 2 months. It's going to take time. So just chill out.

I make one comment b/c iot was a bad tourney, but I also said they need some help. Glad your so connected but where did I say SG did not like TJC, I would love to play for Coach Peterson, but your being overly optimistic if you think this team can be overly successful with the current players. That is harsh reality of the current state, if Lama can bring in 2 top players in January then they have a great deal of potential. MS should not have to play Line 1. Potential is there obviously and I think the new coaches will be fine but year 1 will be long rebuilding.

I am excited for the future but right now this team will be in the lower quarter of the Sun Belt. UALR is strong as well as USA, FIU, Troy, MTSU. Right now UNT is closer to WKU and ULM.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Who was responsible for recruiting Idalina Franca? I saw that she was ranked @12 by the NJCAA last year. She was the only singles winner and looks like a nice find.

Who was responsible for recruiting Idalina Franca?  I saw that she was ranked @12 by the NJCAA last year.  She was the only singles winner and looks like a nice find.

That was the new coach, that was a nice late catch.

Tough to recruit players when you get hired in late June.