BIGGEST FAIRWEATHER FANS

Koratch

Guest GrayEagleOne

Fair weather fans are those who show up when you are winning and do not show up when you are losing.  As far as I know, except for Jay Dub and Plumm, all of those that are frustrated with the direction of the football team right now still attend games both home and away, buy season tickets, and tailgate.

Your term of fair weather fan does not apply to the vast majority of UNT fans venting frustration.  On the contrary, many of these fans are the most loyal and dedicated group you will ever meet and have been through the good and the bad of the program for many years.

If you look throughout Section E on a gameday you will find scores of empty seats. To sit in Section E you must be a Mean Green Club member at the $250 level or better. The section is sold out but hundreds do not show. If they were absent at the SMU game they will likely be absent throughout the year.

Most in Section E are not and have never been fair weather fans. They simply tire of seeing the same thing happen to their alma mater. Even when we win, it's often boring. I've heard that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Substitute Dickeyball for insanity and you'll find what many are beginning to feel.

Being a fan of any sport is voluntary. If you no longer enjoy watching games then why be required to spend your time and effort doing so. Now, you can give to the MGC and buy season tickets and be counted as present when you are not. The empty seat sends a message that you do no approve of the direction of the team.

It's strange, I've been an NT fan for almost 60 years. I've been through some very thin times. I've been to more than 200 home games and 40-50 games on the road but if we continue to run the same tired plays, this will likely be my last year.

This post is so funny to me - what do you want us to say?  Gosh we are so happy that after 9 years, this coach has led us to a 40 - 58 record in the WORST D1 conference in America?  It is fans that are happy with our record that will keep this university in mediocrety.

mediocrity - moderate to low quality; average.

I would be thrilled if we were mediocre. Not satisfied, but it sure would be better than being pathetic.

Mediocre would be the teams in the 50 - 70 range, like OSU, KU, Miami, Akron, Iowa St. Like I said, "thrilled".

UT averages around 90,000 for football

DKR-Texas Memorial Only seats about 80,000 right now.

Most fair weather, bandwagon fans are the Miami Hurricane fans. The saying goes that Miami's support is a mile wide and an inch deep. They draw big numbers for FSU and UF but can't put 40,000 in the stands for a lesser opponent. Still, 40,000 for an NT home game would be a dream.

Tulsa definitely has the biggest fair weather fans. Four years ago they could not break 2,000 in seats. The program was about to be dumped and then Kragthorpe came in and turned things around. Now everyone wants on the band wagon. They did not have a great attendance for the UNT game, but Tulsa has to compete for bodies against OK, OK State and Arkansas.