Rancid Rules

GrandGreen

I haven't heard any fans or coaches that like the new rules instituted to speed up the game. Only the NCAA would allow lengthly timeouts to accomodate TV commercials, and then try to compensate by reducing the actual play time. Therefore, taken out a lot of the game end drama that the fans both in person and viewing on TV most enjoy.

Does anyone else find it strange that in a game that is based on hard hitting and overall aggression, it has been found necessary to enact rules to limit taunting or excessive celebration? Not sure why it is considered so important to protect players feelings that these rules are necessary. This is a basically a judgment call and the game survived for years without benefit of these penalties. Is forced sportsmanship really sportsmanship? Obviously, there has to be limits but calling penalties because of celebration after a score or great play is unneccesary. I do think a rehearsed act like NT's famous grenade celebration does warrant a penalty, but a spontaneous reaction in most cases does not.

I haven't heard any fans or coaches that like the new rules instituted to speed up the game.  Only the NCAA would allow lengthly timeouts to accomodate TV commercials, and then try to compensate by reducing the actual play time.  Therefore, taken out a lot of the game end drama that the fans both in person and viewing on TV most enjoy. 

Does anyone else find it strange that in a game that is based on hard hitting and overall aggression, it has been found necessary to enact rules to  limit taunting or excessive celebration?  Not sure why it is considered so important to protect players feelings that these rules are necessary.  This is a basically a judgment call and the game survived for years without benefit of these penalties.  Is forced sportsmanship really sportsmanship?  Obviously, there has to be limits but calling penalties because of celebration after a score or great play is unneccesary.  I do think a rehearsed act like NT's famous grenade celebration does warrant a penalty, but a spontaneous reaction in most cases does not.

Some of the taunting fouls that UNT was called for was just emotion expressed by players and not directed at the opponent. I agree on flagging taunts towards opponents but this was flagging pure emotion.

One NT player near the SMUt sideline made a good play and threw his arms up in the direction of the student section to stir applause; the refs thought he was taunting the SMUt sideline. Another made a monkey-crawl toward the NT sideline after a tackle and got flagged. No fun allowed.

I'm not opposed to the new rules that shorten the games. Some games were just getting out of hand when it came to how long the games lasted. Now the team that is more prepared and ready to play when the whistle blows will have an advantage.

I wish the old rules applied to the final quarter.

I'm not opposed to the new rules that shorten the games. Some games were just getting out of hand when it came to how long the games lasted. Now the team that is more prepared and ready to play when the whistle blows will have an advantage.

If they want to shorten the games then take away from the excessive commercial time outs, not the game it self. This would not effect NT that much, but I hate when there is a score, commercial, kickoff and then another commercial. They will never take the commercials away, because of all the $$$. People are watching the game because of the football, so why take that away?

Agreed. I don't mind the new rules. Also, selfishly, if you reduce the amount of playing time, you decrease the "big guys" depth advantage. Statistically speaking, a reduction in sample size increases the likelihood for deviation from the norm (more wheels off upsets).

If they want to shorten the games then take away from the excessive commercial time outs, not the game it self.  This would not effect NT that much, but I hate when there is a score, commercial, kickoff and then another commercial.  They will never take the commercials away, because of all the $$$.  People are watching the game because of the football, so why take that away?

I imagine that the shorter a game is, there will be less time available for advertising. Also, the NCAA made these rule changes. They can't tell the networks to stop advertising. They sold the TV rights, after all.