Woody Wilson

chrisfisher

I don't know his entire story but he was originally recruited by Arkansas (I believe) but didn't have the grades... that sent him to a JUCO where he must have either had trouble with grades or had an injury; because he did something that RARELY happens at the JUCO level, he redshirted. He played the next year (last year) but got hurt and didn't finish the season... which is probably why we were able to recruit him. He could be a real diamond in the rough. BTW, since he redshirted at the JUCO, he has 3 years of eligibility left... He could be our QB this year, NEXT year, and the YEAR AFTER... IF - he keeps his grades up... and he doesn't get knocked senseless running around in the backfield.

Edited by stebo

I believe the story goes that Arkansas recruited him to be their QB. Woody didn't make the grades and they placed him in a juco (not 1AA). When his 2 years were up in the juco it was time to go back and be the QB over for the razorbacks...............however - Arkansas just signed one of the best QB recruits around and it didn't look like they wanted him at QB any longer. Other schools, along with Arkansas, wanted him in their defensive backfield.

NT brought him in to be a qb.

Vote for Woody.

I believe the story goes that Arkansas recruited him to be their QB.  Woody didn't make the grades and they placed him in a juco (not 1AA).  When his 2 years were up in the juco it was time to go back and be the QB over for the razorbacks...............however - Arkansas just signed one of the best QB recruits around and it didn't look like they wanted him at QB any longer.  Other schools, along with Arkansas, wanted him in their defensive backfield. 

NT brought him in to be a qb. 

Vote for Woody.

An SEC recruited QB?!? I had no idea. This makes more sense now. No wonder I and many others liked what we saw, despite limited play time. It was difficult to put my finger on why, but he looked like a quality QB. He appeared in-command, comfortable, fluid, confident, quick on his feet, and bla bla bla... I posted this too many times now. SEC QB.... hmmmmnnn... and were still having QB tryouts week 2 into the official season.

I don't know his entire story but he was originally recruited by Arkansas (I believe) but didn't have the grades... that sent him to a JUCO where he must have either had trouble with grades or had an injury; because he did something that RARELY happens at the JUCO level, he redshirted.  He played the next year (last year) but got hurt and didn't finish the season... which is probably why we were able to recruit him.  He could be a real diamond in the rough.  BTW, since he redshirted at the JUCO, he has 3 years of eligibility left... He could be our QB this year, NEXT year, and the YEAR AFTER... IF - he keeps his grades up... and he doesn't get knocked senseless running around in the backfield.

We need to get Wilson a damn tutor! I am a UNT psychology doctoral student. If he needs help in that area, I'll donate my time. I am somewhat concerned with injuries with him too. He is so mobile, but you just know he is going to get walloped one sooner or later.

We need to get Wilson a damn tutor! I am a UNT psychology doctoral student. If he needs help in that area, I'll donate my time. I am somewhat concerned with injuries with him too. He is so mobile, but you just know he is going to get walloped one sooner or later.

Just get to the Athletic Center immediately!! biggrin.gif

We've lost quite a few key players due to grades the past few seasons!!!!

As for Woody's origins, the previous posters hit it on the head. He was recruited as a QB out of High School by Arkansas. Arkansas later decided they wanted him to switch to DB. NT promised him a shot at QB, thus, landing him here. Personally, I think he was a huge pick up for NT. If hell freezes over and DD announces WW the starter, he would have to be the biggest recruit this season.

Edited by Got5onIt

Just get to the Athletic Center immediately!!  biggrin.gif

We've lost quite a few key players due to grades the past few seasons!!!!

As for Woody's origins, the previous posters hit it on the head. He was recruited as a QB out of High School by Arkansas. Arkansas later decided they wanted him to switch to DB.  NT promised him a shot at QB, thus, landing him here. Personally, I think he was a huge pick up for NT. If hell freezes over and DD anounces WW teh starter, he would have to be the biggest recruit this season.

Maybe I am over generalizing from what I have read in this forum, but why do we see that Wilson has "it" and should be the immediate starter, and DD does not (as evidenced by his continued QB competition)?

Maybe I am giving DD too mcuh credit, but if he names a starter today then the Ponies will know what to prepare for.

Hell, I'd probably name Quinn the starter today and Phillips tomorrow....really confuse the Ponies.

Phillips are like night and day to prepare for. This week's "competition" may be a smoke screen to keep Benett on his toes.

(before you poke fun, if DD will use stealth recruiting; he would pull somethign like this)

Wilson was signed out of Fayetville H.S. to play for the Arkansas Razorbacks but came up short on his ACT. Arkansas had only listed his position as 'athlete'. He was 'placed' at a JC, and was given a redshirt year as often happens with 'placed' players. Division 1 coaches try to put the recruits at jucos which will return them with 3 years of eligibility (see Demario Thomas). Wilson had been injured during his senior year after he had already committed to Arkansas, and was injured again playing juco ball. The injury history was probably the reason that the Razorbacks stopped recruiting Woody.

WOODY WILSON

ATH – FR – 6-0 – 180 – Fayetteville, Ark.

40-yard dash: 4.6

He registered 4,916 yards and 45 touchdown passes in his career at Fayetteville High School. As a senior, he passed for 1,891 yards and 14 touchdowns as well as rushing for 691 yards and nine scores for Coach Daryl Patton. He led the Bulldogs to a share of their first AAAAA-West Championship since 1985. For his accomplishments, he was selected as The Morning News Player of the Year. He was also recognized on The Associated Press Arkansas Super Team. He earned all-state and AAAAA-West Offensive Back of the Year honors as well. As a junior, he passed for 2,529 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also rushed for 578 yards. He also served as the team’s punter. He was a high school teammate of fellow UA signee Cedric Logan. Max Emfinger rates him as the No. 26 athletic quarterback in the country. He is ranked the No. 10 prospect in Arkansas by SuperPrep. He was also recruited by Arkansas State and Tulsa.

Four fail to qualify academically for Arkansas

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Four members of the 2004 recruiting class signed by Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt and his assistants will be heading for junior colleges or prep schools in the fall instead of donning Razorback uniforms.

The four -- including three from Arkansas high schools -- have not qualified academically to attend the university.

In announcing his signees in February, Nutt said he expected that at least seven Razorback recruits would have to attend a junior college or prep school in the fall, instead of enrolling at Fayetteville.

Texarkana defensive lineman Freddie Barnett failed to make a high enough score in his last attempt on the ACT. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound Barnett, who runs 40 yards in 5 seconds, will enroll at either Trinity Valley (Texas) Junior College or Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy.

Linebacker Fred Fairchild, signed from Little Rock Central, is heading for Hargrave. At 6-3 and 190, Fairchild runs the 40 in 4.6 seconds.

Fayetteville quarterback Woody Wilson also came up short on the ACT, and plans to enroll at Coffeyville (Kan.) Junior College. The 6-1, 180 pound Wilson's time in the 40 is 4.62 seconds.

Waco (Texas) University High School graduate Ryan Young, an offensive lineman, will attend an unspecified junior college.

Players attending a prep school like Hargrave can keep four years of eligibility intact for a four-year college, but junior-college attendance can use up one or two years of eligibility, depending on whether the player red-shirts for a year.

Wilson was signed out of Fayetville H.S. to play for the Arkansas Razorbacks but came up short on his ACT. Arkansas had only listed his position as 'athlete'. He was 'placed' at a JC, and was given a redshirt year as often happens with 'placed' players. Division 1 coaches try to put the recruits at jucos which will return them with 3 years of eligibility (see Demario Thomas). Wilson had been injured during his senior year after he had already committed to Arkansas, and was injured again playing juco ball. The injury history was probably the reason that the Razorbacks stopped recruiting Woody.

WOODY WILSON

ATH – FR – 6-0 – 180 – Fayetteville, Ark.

40-yard dash: 4.6

He registered 4,916 yards and 45 touchdown passes in his career at Fayetteville High School. As a senior, he passed for 1,891 yards and 14 touchdowns as well as rushing for 691 yards and nine scores for Coach Daryl Patton. He led the Bulldogs to a share of their first AAAAA-West Championship since 1985. For his accomplishments, he was selected as The Morning News Player of the Year. He was also recognized on The Associated Press Arkansas Super Team. He earned all-state and AAAAA-West Offensive Back of the Year honors as well. As a junior, he passed for 2,529 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also rushed for 578 yards. He also served as the team’s punter. He was a high school teammate of fellow UA signee Cedric Logan. Max Emfinger rates him as the No. 26 athletic quarterback in the country. He is ranked the No. 10 prospect in Arkansas by SuperPrep. He was also recruited by Arkansas State and Tulsa.

Four fail to qualify academically for Arkansas

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Four members of the 2004 recruiting class signed by Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt and his assistants will be heading for junior colleges or prep schools in the fall instead of donning Razorback uniforms.

The four -- including three from Arkansas high schools -- have not qualified academically to attend the university.

In announcing his signees in February, Nutt said he expected that at least seven Razorback recruits would have to attend a junior college or prep school in the fall, instead of enrolling at Fayetteville.

Texarkana defensive lineman Freddie Barnett failed to make a high enough score in his last attempt on the ACT. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound Barnett, who runs 40 yards in 5 seconds, will enroll at either Trinity Valley (Texas) Junior College or Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy.

Linebacker Fred Fairchild, signed from Little Rock Central, is heading for Hargrave. At 6-3 and 190, Fairchild runs the 40 in 4.6 seconds.

Fayetteville quarterback Woody Wilson also came up short on the ACT, and plans to enroll at Coffeyville (Kan.) Junior College. The 6-1, 180 pound Wilson's time in the 40 is 4.62 seconds.

Waco (Texas) University High School graduate Ryan Young, an offensive lineman, will attend an unspecified junior college.

Players attending a prep school like Hargrave can keep four years of eligibility intact for a four-year college, but junior-college attendance can use up one or two years of eligibility, depending on whether the player red-shirts for a year.

Great information and research here. Thanks!!!!!! Knowing this information, do you believe that this should sway our QB situation?

Maybe I am giving DD too mcuh credit, but if he names a starter today then the Ponies will know what to prepare for.

Hell, I'd probably name Quinn the starter today and Phillips tomorrow....really confuse the Ponies.

Phillips are like night and day to prepare for.  This week's "competition" may be a smoke screen to keep Benett on his toes.

(before you poke fun, if DD will use stealth recruiting; he would pull somethign like this)

I really hope this is the DD strategy. My confidence is waning a bit after that DRC article.

Edited by chrisfisher

Great information and research here. Thanks!!!!!!  Knowing this information, do you believe that this should sway our QB situation?

No.

The coaching staff is aware that they have lost 11 of their last 13 games and haven't won at home since 2004. A loss to SMU could be a career altering incident so they're going to start whoever they think gives them the best shot at winning.

Believe it or not, the coaches know more about the talent on the team than any of the GMG posters, area sportswriters, and even a few of the town barbers.

That being said, they should still be second guessed. That's what fan message boards are all about. tongue.gif

Edited by ADLER

The injury history was probably the reason that the Razorbacks stopped recruiting Woody.

Actually I think it had more to do with the fact Arkansas signed all universe QB Mitch Mustain. At that point, Woody had to see his chances to ever be under center as a hog as close to zero.

The Hog boards are already swirling with rumors that all the other QB's are going to quit/transfer/give up football and become Benny Hinn's understudy.

I know Woody came from Division II-A. Does anyone know his background or done any research on him? I'd like to know his performance stats previous to UNT.

His soph stats at Coffeyville CC completed 63 of 107 passes for 910 yds (59%) and 8 TD's with 3 interceptions...a 8 TD to 2 interception ratio, 214 rushing @ 5.4 yds per carry, QB efficiency of 151...2nd in Jayhawk conference among active QB's, HM All Conference despite only playing 7 games. ....You have to know that Coffeyville runs a run-oriented offense.

His soph stats at Coffeyville CC completed 63 of 107 passes for 910 yds (59%) and 8 TD's with 3 interceptions...a 8 TD to 2 interception ratio, 214 rushing @ 5.4 yds per carry, QB efficiency of 151...2nd in Jayhawk conference among active QB's, HM All Conference despite only playing 7 games. ....You have to know that Coffeyville runs a run-oriented offense.

Great Stats!