DRC article on gameQB don't pass test

OldTimer

UNT pair doesn't pass its first test

UNT sputters behind novice quarterbacks' 95 yards of offense

11:00 PM CDT on Saturday, September 2, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

AUSTIN – North Texas tried a veteran making his first start and a junior college transfer playing his first Division I game at quarterback against Texas on Saturday.

Neither enjoyed much success during the Mean Green's loss at Memorial Stadium.

Texas 56, UNT 7

Snead can't match McCoy's fiery start

UNT pair doesn't pass its first test

Summary

More: Texas | North Texas

Sophomore Matt Phillips made his first college start, and junior college transfer Woody Wilson came off the bench. The two combined to lead the Mean Green to 95 yards of total offense, almost all of which came on an 80-yard touchdown drive that Wilson directed to start the third quarter.

UNT opened the season with three players competing for the starting job in Wilson, Phillips and returning starter Daniel Meager, who missed the game with a concussion.

"Without looking at the film, it seemed like Woody made a few more plays," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. "What we are going to look at is if Matt was getting as much of a chance and if the problems were his fault or if they came in other areas."

Dickey said he would pick his starter for next week's game against SMU after watching film and seeing how his quarterbacks perform in practice this week. He did not rule out Meager's return.

Dickey named Phillips the starter because of the experience gained last season behind Meager.

Phillips struggled for most of the day, completing four of 13 passes for 22 yards.

VERNON BRYANT/DMN

Texas players force a fumble by UNT sophomore Matt Phillips, who was 4-of-13 for 22 yards in his first college start. "I could have done better, but overall we did all right," Phillips said. "Everyone reacted well to both of us."

UNT went three-and-out nine times and had only one sustained drive, which came with Wilson in the game. Junior wide receiver Brandon Jackson caught a 33-yard pass from Wilson and capped the drive with a 12-yard touchdown catch.

Wilson threw for 65 yards and completed five of six passes.

"All the little things we have been working on finally came together on that drive," Wilson said. "It showed what we can do when everyone does their assignments."

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

"Without looking at the film, it seemed like Woody made a few more plays," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. "What we are going to look at is if Matt was getting as much of a chance and if the problems were his fault or if they came in other areas."

Well, that would be a first. He sure didn't look at the cirumstances of why Andrew Smith didn't play quite as well as Scott Hall in that joke of a QB battle.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Who cares about whose fault it was? It's results that count and I think that Woody EARNED #1 based on performance.

It sure seems to me that Wilson has the best pass completion percentage, total yards, and even touchdowns per minute played than either of the other quarterbacks. But, it's the coaching staff's future. If they don't want to use their best chance of survival then that's their choice.

Texas players force a fumble by UNT sophomore Matt Phillips, who was 4-of-13 for 22 yards in his first college start. "I could have done better, but overall we did all right," Phillips said. "Everyone reacted well to both of us."

I had to laugh when I read this comment by Phillips. How sad is it that they consider their play overall "all right". Nice standard for success.

Stupid comments....... Cobbs did not do so well against Texas and now he is in the NFL..... Football is a team sport. Let Texas and North Texas exchange QBs and Colt McCoy would look a lot worse.

This is true.

It would be a crime, however, for Woody not to get the starting nod for SMU.  The better player between the two was very clear.

Yes, but this is not the standard by which Dickey will judge his QB's. Technically Danny Meager didn't throw a single interception or get sacked even once in the UT game so he's in the lead right now. laugh.gif

Woody Wilson was the QB at the helm for an 80-yard drive down the field for a TD. He shoudl start...end of story.

I did not realize how un-mobile Phillips really was until this game. His passes were either floaters or too short. Also, just not a lot of zip to the ball. If you are not a mobile, running QB then you at least had better be a great passer...