Texas defeats Northern Texas

Eagle Man

Yes folks, it is true. After FOUR Sun Belt Titles and even after FSN had televised the UNT/Texas game earlier that day they still flashed Northern Texas on the screen and the announcer referred to us as Northern Texas.

However, everyone knows who Montana State is.

We have major problems in house!

I paid close attention to the media this week. In Austin I never heard North Texas State. The Austin American Statesman did say we were in the Southland, and that is unforgivable, but the tv media remembered us. Some of them used an old logo, for graphics, but in time that will change. If we keep notifying them of these mistakes, it will get corrected. It does seem like we change our logo with each new AD. When we continually win important games, people will take notice.

So I guess my reply is, notify them off their screw up, but be tactful.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF SMU !!!!!!!!!

It's not RV's job. He has a Sports Information Director, Eric Capper, who does that. While I don't always agree with how Eric does his job, he does make sure that people know that our name is UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, not Northern Texas or North Texas State or even North Texas University.

People have gotten NT's name wrong for as long as I've been alive. Get over it and be happy that the team is getting ang mention at all.

Did anyone else notice that we did not get a single commerical spot for the game, while Baylor had 2 or 3? Watching the Baylor game today, I've noticed that same add that was run yesterday in our game advertising for Baylor.

Did Fox put Baylor's add in instead of ours? blink.gif

mad.gifmad.gif From my understanding, typically when you play on TV, you get at least one commercial spot as part of the deal. Someone in the athletics office should be chewing some serious butt here.

Hey, If we weren't the" Forest, no Kelly Mean Green Eagles" maybe announcers would have an easier time of it. We need to settle on one identity, and RV has done that. It will take time, though.

At least they all but two times got the name right.

As for name recognition, beat a Big 12 team (no, Baylor don't count.)

Edited by Legend500

The FSN announcer called us North Texas State one time yesterday. They also called us the eagles.

---What is wrong with Eagles... that is what is on my class ring.... not Mean Green. I think our mascot (Scrappy) is an Eagle as well, not a Green Blob.

---Other schools use two names as well including Georgia Tech (YellowJackets or Rambling Wreck) and Notre Dame (Fighting Irish and Leprecons) ...they played each other. Ever notice the Elephants on Alabama window stickers, that is their real mascot, not Crimson Tide.

Personaly I like Mean Green but that does not mean we should get rid of scrappy and completely lose our ties to the Eagle name, it kinda bridges us to the past in my mind and I think that its important for us to keep the eagle as the mascot even if we are the Mean Green.

Oh and did anyone else hear the plug that the announcers gave about our new facilities? It was actually pretty good and I loved the fact that they were speaking in a way that made it truely sound like we were actually trying to grow as a program. I also thought it was cool that they pointed out that "the new facilities are also being constructed for and used by the other sports not just football" which may seem like a minor thing but hey, if it gets some softball or volleyball players to start looking our way, sweet.

GMG

I can't speak for everyone's telecast, but I'm pretty sure I saw our "Buy season tickets because our home schedule is the best in years" commercial. We don't have a University selling spot, but we have one football game spot and probably a few more throughout the season like we did last year.

At least the actual game graphics were correct and the announcers knew what to say.

The announcers knew what to say?

We were referred to as North Texas State once.

It took about 6 camera shots of different NT coaches for them to ever figure out which one was Dickey.

They called Johnny Quinn by another first name, can't remember what it was exactly.

They were horrible.

---What is wrong with Eagles... that is what is on my class ring.... not Mean Green.  I think our mascot (Scrappy) is an Eagle as well, not a Green Blob.

---Other schools use two names as well including Georgia Tech (YellowJackets or Rambling Wreck) and Notre Dame (Fighting Irish and Leprecons) ...they played each other.  Ever notice the Elephants on Alabama window stickers, that is their real mascot, not Crimson Tide.

The team name is the Mean Green. The mascot is the Eagle. It is not hard.

How many times have you heard Alabama referred to as the Elephants, or Notre Dame as the Leprechauns?

I have changed my tune on this over the last couple of years, but here is my latest Hot Sports Opinion:

U - N - T Eagles..........U-N-T Eagles Fight Fight Fight

becomes:

North! Texas! Mean! Green!.........North Texas Mean Green Fight! Fight! Fight!

Edited by Zeke

The announcers knew what to say? 

We were referred to as North Texas State once.

It took about 6 camera shots of different NT coaches for them to ever figure out which one was Dickey.

They called Johnny Quinn by another first name, can't remember what it was exactly.

They were horrible.

THEY WERE TEXAS ANNOUNCERS. THEY DON"T CARE WHO THE OPPONENT IS, AS LONG AS THEY GET THE TEXAS PART CORRECT.

THEY WERE TEXAS ANNOUNCERS. THEY DON"T CARE WHO THE OPPONENT IS, AS LONG AS THEY GET THE TEXAS PART CORRECT.

Really? What's Gary Reason's attachment to UT? They aren't UT announcers. They are Fox's national announcers covering the defending national champions first game, so they are going to give UT more attention, which I fully understand. I don't understand not doing their homework on UT's opponent resulting in numerous obvious mistakes.

Really?  What's Gary Reason's attachment to UT?  They aren't UT announcers.  They are Fox's national announcers covering the defending national champions first game, so they are going to give UT more attention, which I fully understand.  I don't understand not doing their homework on UT's opponent resulting in numerous obvious mistakes.

He works for FOX (BCS servicer) Sports. Did you watch the broadcast, did it seem to lean a LITTLE heavy to the tU side??

The answer is YES!