DD on the radio

EagleD

Sorry guys, you are wrong. That is outdated (Helwig era information). First inclination - the Mean Green Eagles thing. RV and Coach Dickey BOTH stated directly to me (and a whole room of supporters that from here on out (this was about summer 2002) - we would no longer have any NAME association with the Eagle when dealing with the Athletic Programs. The symbol of th school will always be the Eagle and we should be proud of that. Just like Alabama has an Elephant for their Symbol but are known as the crimson tide. The reason why they were corrected today - because our SID ran over to the table and CORRECTED them.

Another way to tell that the information is outdated... It lists in the same sentence that the female teams are called the Lady Eagles. Again - OUTDATED INFORMATION. All lady's sports were gievn the option to choose EITHER Mean Green or Eagles for their team names back in 2001-2002. The lady's basketball team was the ONLY team that decided to stick with Lady Eagles. The other 8 lady's teams all chose to go with the Mean Green. Two years ago, the lady's basketball team had a team vote and officially became the Mean Green as well. Now - all 16 of our sports carry the same nickname/moniker of Mean Green. The brand new floor of the Super Pit which had just been refinished to say Lady Eagles on one side and Mean Green on the other (along with both names at half court) - was stripped down and changed simply to Mean Green to signify the occasion.

We will always have Scrappy. We will always have the Eagle as our mascot. But when it comes to team name - Our Official Team Name is the MEAN GREEN. Look at the OFFICIAL athletic website: www.MeanGreenSports.com. Try to find one single sentence that has the word "Eagle" in it referring to one of our teams' names. You know what - it will be a long journey for you and you will come up empty handed. For now, our teams are simply the Mean Green.

Stanford is the Cardinal and have a tree for a mascot. Alabama is the Crimson Tide and has an Elephant for a mascot. Tulane is the Green Wave and has a Pelican for a mascot. North Texas is the Mean Green and has an Eagle for a mascot. It is that easy, that plain, and that simple. Don't we have this discussion every year... maybe I should save this post so I don't have to retype it next time someone tries to pass aong old information.

AND - Yes, back in the Helwig days - Craig tried to make everyone happy (the Mean Green lovers and the Eagle lovers) by combining the two nicknames to one big happy Mean Green Eagles name. He even had a big thing painted on Fouts that said "Home of the Mean Green Eagles" - that is gone now. When you look up at our scoreboard, yuo will see one name and one name only for our team (no matter the sport or venue) - Mean Green. The Eagle is simply the mascot now.

Thank you Steve.

Rick

No problem Rick. I am very proud of the Eagle beig our mascot. I proudly hold up my Talon at kick off an during the song... but when it comes to team names, our teams are called the Mean Green. Actuallu if you ready the sentence, it is not totally incorrect. Our students are all represented by the Eagle... and the sentence just said that members of the teams are Eagles or Mean Green Eagles... this could be said of any student or athlete, and we should be very proud of that heritage. But our team name is the Mean Green - all 16 sports; male and female. We should also be proud of that. Just like the Austin radio guys pointed out, it is very original and unique! While there are 97 other colleges at different levels (from NAIA to IA)that use the Eagle as some sort of moniker or team name (some are War Eagles, etc..) - we are the ONLY Mean Green out there. Wear it and wear it proud wink.gif