What is the Single Greatest Sporting Event that Yo

UNTLifer

PS  You older alums or MG fans who lived in or around Houston back in the day remember buying those annual shopping memberships at FedMart?  Remember Globe Discount Center not too far from FedMart, too?  I recall my parents making frequent trips to FedMart which I think was off Mykawa (sp?)  Road? 

Awe, you beat me to it... that is my favorite sporting event too!

Those are great memories gangrene (especially NT-Texas Tech), but didn't Notre Dame beat UH (Not UT) in that 1979 Cotton Bowl.  Also, I'm pretty sure Hayden Fry was long gone before Eric Dickerson and Craig James made it to SMU.

GMG!

Well, I was just a kid in the late 70s, but that Cotton Bowl game is firmly ingrained in my mind. The game I attended was the 1978 Cotton Bowl, featuring an undefeated Texas Longhorn team, with Earl Campbell, against Joe Montana and the Fighting Irish. The Irish victory earned them the National Championship. Notre Dame returned to the Cotton Bowl the following season to play Houston.

I'm also certain I saw Eric Dickerson and Craig James play NTSU at Texas Stadium, but even if it was Dickerson's Freshman 1979 season, Hayden Fry would have been roaming the Iowa sidelines since he began coaching there in 1978. So I didn't see Haden Fry and Eric Dickerson on the same field at the same time...thanks for ruining my memories!! sad.gifsad.gif

I was only about 10 years old, but I was at Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals to watch the Mavs beat the "Showtime" Lakers. Watching the Mavs beat Magic, Kareem, Worthy and company was something I will never forget. Reunion was probably as loud as it had ever been and it was really a spectacular game to watch.

I was there for that opening Dome game also. I was only 5 and sitting behind the third base dugout, but I do remember Mantle's homer to I believe right center field. It is one of those early memories which left quite an impression on me. I also was there when they turned out the lights in the Dome and for opening day at Enron.

Mine in Houston, too.

Grand Opening of Astrodome--LBJ & Lady Bird were there, John & Nellie Connally, etc, etc, etc,  Saw Mickey Mantle hit first "dome" run in the Astrodome and Nellie Fox hit a late innings game-winning single as Astros beat the Yankees in this exhbition game.  Was 14 yrs old at the time and that first walk inside the Astrodome was breath-taking since most stadiums of that day had that gray, cold concrete'ish drab look much like........oh well, nevermind........... rolleyes.gif

UCLA (Lew Alcindor) vs UH (Elvin Hayes) in the Astrodome--UH WINS!  (Hey!  Anyone have some binoculars)?!?!?

I've heard ESPN sports media types say the UCLA/UH nationally televised event (mostly to be found on UHF stations during this era) was the single most event that brought college basketball to a national awareness previously not experienced by the sport.

Sorry, man. They're still great. Wish I could have seen either of those two eras!

Well, I was just a kid in the late 70s, but that Cotton Bowl game is firmly ingrained in my mind.  The game I attended was the 1978 Cotton Bowl, featuring an undefeated Texas Longhorn team, with Earl Campbell, against Joe Montana and the Fighting Irish.  The Irish victory earned them the National Championship.  Notre Dame returned to the Cotton Bowl the following season to play Houston.

I'm also certain I saw Eric Dickerson and Craig James play NTSU at Texas Stadium, but even if it was Dickerson's Freshman 1979 season, Hayden Fry would have been roaming the Iowa sidelines since he began coaching there in 1978.  So I didn't see Haden Fry and Eric Dickerson on the same field at the same time...thanks for ruining my memories!!  sad.gif  sad.gif

Plumm, I'm afraid my first game was a Joe Niekro win vs. the Pirates so it's past the early era.

Last I heard, the Dome will become a large resort. Don't know anymore than that.

Now that begin to think back a bit, I remember watching a game at Fouts (in '97 I think) where Jason Mills keeps driving up and down the field in a duel with Utah State (not sure about the opponent) and we win on the last play of the game with a pass over the goal line (to Brod McGrew who was living at West Hall where I was an RA.) ....... Good times.

megagreen, I take it you are still a Houstonian?

BTW, what are the present plans for the Astrodome? 

Surely they will not tear down the "Eighth Wonder of the World" or will they? sad.gif

In old Colt Stadium (B4 the Astrodome was completed)  I got to see Stan Musial in his farewell tour as a MLB legend and future Hall of Famer. 

Any of you other posters on GMG.com ever attend a game at Colt (.45's) Stadium and sit in the Houston heat, humidity as well as among the Texas-sized mosquitos of which there never seemed to be a shortage? blink.gif

PS  You older alums or MG fans who lived in or around Houston back in the day remember buying those annual shopping memberships at FedMart?  Remember Globe Discount Center not too far from FedMart, too?  I recall my parents making frequent trips to FedMart which I think was off Mykawa (sp?)  Road?