Texas opens at #2 in Coaches' poll

NT80

Re:  Texas #2.

I think based on returning/incoming talent, that's not too far off, but no one knows how the QB's will play--and that's the wild card.

I know you're a UT fan but please tell me how Texas is better than Ohio State, USC, and Notre Dame. They'd have to be better than 2 out of 3 of these teams to be #2. And before anyone bags on Notre Dame please remember that they DO have a quarterback (Heisman frontrunner) and a real coach, not some guy named Mack Brown who had his career made by Vince Young.

I know you're a UT fan but please tell me how Texas is better than Ohio State, USC, and Notre Dame.  They'd have to be better than 2 out of 3 of these teams to be #2.  And before anyone bags on Notre Dame please remember that they DO have a quarterback (Heisman frontrunner) and a real coach, not some guy named Mack Brown who had his career made by Vince Young.

laugh.gif

Good morning, emmitt!

I just said #2 isn't "too far off". Hard to predict at this stage. I don't have a problem with #2-#5, quite frankly. Who cares, really?

But since you asked: tongue.gif

Notre Dame hasn't done anything to deserve a top 2, IMO. Their team speed sucks, and tOSU handed them their ass in the Fiesta. They lost to the power teams they faced last year. They would be overrated if ranked in the top 2.

"The Greatest College Team Ever" lost their entire offensive backfield, and a couple of their freak OL's. They also lost the MNC to the #2 team in the poll.

Ohio State lost 9 defensive starters off a sick defensive team. I don't have a problem with them being #1, because of their QB play. I believe they will lose in Austin on 9/9, however.

UT's big question is QB play. They will be sick everywhere else.

I know you're a UT fan but please tell me how Texas is better than Ohio State, USC, and Notre Dame.  They'd have to be better than 2 out of 3 of these teams to be #2.  And before anyone bags on Notre Dame please remember that they DO have a quarterback (Heisman frontrunner) and a real coach, not some guy named Mack Brown who had his career made by Vince Young.

--Geeez, talk about Mack Brown and UT hatred.... What have they done to us other than beat the tar out of us (honestly). They aren't constantly trashing us in the media (ala SMU) and they even lobbyed for us to be a SWC member years ago.

---I really do think Texas has more talent than just Vince Young and that Mack's career is not TOTALLY attributed to that one person. I am also afraid that we will discover that UT is not exactly "fangless" without the "Invincable" Young. They also have 7 "Starters" back on offense and defense and a whole lot of other folks that played about 1/3 of the time. Seems like I remember some folks claiming Ohio State and OU would rip them apart last year... it did not exactly happen.

--- As for Notre Dame, they don't exactly cheat but in an odd way they do. They appear on TV every week and have a contract with a major network but if you don't think good players that are Catholic don't get pressured to go there you are kidding yourself. That national TV deal provides exposure and provides lots of money to the ND program which they don't divide with anyone and it gives them a huge advantage in recruiting etc..

---I am not a UT lover but be da**ed if I would support ND or that troubled OSU program that seems to always havae some scandel or an outlaw over any instate college (other than SMU). I am a through and through Texan.

We're #2 at this point because ABC wants that 1 vs 2 matchup when we play Ohio State the next week. Makes for good TV ratings. biggrin.gif If either McCoy or Snead comes though at QB, it could be another National Title run at UT because we do have very good returning talent comnig back.

Others receiving votes

Arizona State (7-5) 182; Boston College (9-3) 87; Utah (7-5) 84; Arkansas (4-7) 64; South Carolina (7-5) 55; Boise State (9-4) 46; Wisconsin (10-3) 37; UCLA (10-2) 29; Georgia Tech (7-5) 28; Fresno State (8-5) 14; Tulsa (9-4) 11; Iowa State (7-5) 9; Minnesota (7-5) 9; Maryland (5-6) 8; Purdue (5-6) 7; Texas A&M (5-6) 6; Memphis (7-5) 5; Texas-El Paso (8-4) 3; Arizona (3-8) 2; Brigham Young (6-6) 2; Nevada (9-3) 2; Northern Illinois (7-5) 2; Northwestern (7-5) 2; Oregon State (5-6) 2; Rutgers (7-5) 2; Colorado (7-6) 1; Duke (1-10) 1.

blink.gifhuh.gifunsure.gif

How do you go from 1-10 to getting a vote in the top 25?

So what happened with you and UT? Just curious...

This stuff doesn't cary over from last season. All of those teams lost a lot to the NFL in the offseason.

Plus it is pre-season. Compare the final list to this one. I bet UT, Ohio State, and USC will not be close to play in the championship game.

Notre Dame did not lose that much to the NFL and return a very good QB. Probably the best bet to finish at or above where they are now.

Oklahoma....see the QB they lost and their replacement story to see why they will not be close (by big BCS school standards).

Edited by gksmith