Plans For Florida Atlantic Stadium Put On Hold

MeanGreen61

Plans for FAU stadium, dorms, condos put on hold

By Kimberly Miller

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 15, 2006

BOCA RATON — Plans for a new football stadium, dorms, shops and even condominiums on FAU's Boca Raton campus were put on hold Wednesday by board of trustee members who complained the process was moving too fast and without their input.

Last year, trustees chose to work with KUD International, a subsidiary of Japanese-based Kajima Corp., on a proposal under which the company would secure bond debt through a tax-exempt entity to build the facilities and then keep the profits for a specified time.

But a presentation Wednesday of a proposal that included selling condos at Florida Atlantic University wasn't received well by trustees who, instead of giving the go-ahead for planning to continue, scuttled the deal until their questions could be answered at a September workshop.

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbcsouth/cont...uMeet_0615.html

Unfortunately, that "pesky financial input" is what keeps North Texas athletics, specifically football, from moving up in the world of intercollegiate athletics. It costs money to run a first class D1A program, and NT alumni have not shown that they will pony up to meet the demands of a high level program.

Unfortunately, that "pesky financial input" is what keeps North Texas athletics, specifically football, from moving up in the world of intercollegiate athletics.  It costs money to run a first class D1A program, and NT alumni have not shown that they will pony up to meet the demands of a high level program.

Well that is because basically we are poor (relatively to other schools like Baylor - I know, this is shocking news.). But not so poor that we wouldn't be willing to pony up a little more for the following:

-an entertaining product on the field. (don't have it yet)

-an engaging and fiery coach (nope)

-good promotions (we are getting there, but entirely too slowly)

-opponents at home we have heard of, they don't even have to be good teams (see baylor, SMU, La Tech as examples - getting better in this respect)

-an AD that communicates regularly about progress of the program (a bit shaky here at times)

So all in all I think we are on the cusp of this and I'm sure people will jump on the fact that I said I wasn't going to join the MGC this year at any level. There are some reasons for that:

1.) I already spend close to 180 dollars on the family fun pack with my 3 kids

2.) Did I mention I have three kids?

3.) I have a BIG problem with the way DD bad mouths NT. I know he's a good person and I've met him and chatted with him a couple times. Still he has no excuse to bad mouth NT.

4.) As some have already mentioned, I feel the extra communication that members of the MGC should be granted isn't happening, mabye I have a wrong impression here, but I think they should be entitled to a little more information (duh - how about at least a monthly newsletter exclusive to MGC members?)

Anyway, fire away. Buy until 1,2,3 and 4 are resolved I don't see myself pinching my wallet for an extra $150 for MGC membership. Call me a traitor if you will. biggrin.gif

All good points Stan, but I would add one major reason that North Texas falls behind in the area of alumni giving. The university has never encouraged giving and has never made an impression on current students, until recently, to support North Texas. You think an A&M or UT student thinks twice about giving back once they graduate? Not a chance. Yet, North Texas has fostered an apathetic attitude with its students throughout the years, especially towards athletics.