Denton RC

Denton Rc Article

ARLINGTON — Johnny Quinn couldn’t have asked for more on Wednesday night.

The weather was great, it was dollar hot dog night and — best of all — the wide receiver had a chance to follow in the impressive line of players to represent North Texas on Mean Green Night at Ameriquest Field in Arlington.

Quinn threw out the first pitch before the Rangers’ game against the Baltimore Orioles.

“You can’t turn down ballpark hot dogs,” Quinn said. “It’s a pretty big deal to get to throw out the first pitch. It was exciting to come out and represent North Texas.”

Former national rushing champions Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas teamed up to throw out the first pitch last season. Cobbs threw out the pitch two years ago.

New UNT running backs coach and former Ryan assistant Ramone Archie came to the game with Quinn and brought his 3-year-old son Ethan along.

Both stood on the field as Quinn threw a high strike to Rangers Captain, the team’s mascot.

“I have been to just one other Rangers game about four or five years ago,” Archie said. “I got the chance to go because everyone else was on the road recruiting.”

UNT rotates its assistant coaches so that one is in the office during each week of the spring recruiting period while the rest of the coaches who recruit are on the road.

While Archie earned his trip to Arlington by default, Quinn secured his opportunity to represent the Mean Green at Ameriquest Field by racking up impressive statistics in a running-based offense.

The former McKinney standout has caught a pass in all 36 games of his college career heading into his senior season and ranks among the top 10 players in school history in receiving yards (sixth, 2,085), receiving touchdowns (tied for fourth, 17) and receptions (eighth, 130). He has been named to the All-Sun Belt Conference team in each of the last two seasons.

Quinn’s family made the trip to Arlington for the game along with a few of his former high school teammates, three of which made their way to the first row of seats behind the plate to say hello to Quinn before he threw out his pitch.

The Mean Green can only hope their season goes as well as Quinn’s pitch. UNT is coming off of a 2-9 campaign that ended the Mean Green’s run of four straight Sun Belt Conference titles and four consecutive appearances in the New Orleans Bowl.

“I can’t wait for the season to start again,” Quinn said. “Summer workouts start soon. I will rejoin the team after track season is over.”

Quinn has shown versatility throughout his college career by running on the UNT track team in addition to developing into a standout wide receiver.

Quinn didn’t look too bad throwing out the first pitch at the Rangers game either on a night he said he won’t soon forget.

“I never thought I would get a chance to do that,” Quinn said. “It was fun to be on the field in a professional stadium.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is +bvito@dentonrc.com .

“I never thought I would get a chance to do that,” Quinn said. “It was fun to be on the field in a professional stadium.”

And more than one "professional" scout seems to think he'll get his chance to do it again... in uniform.