Tennis Eneters Conference Tournament

untbowler

as the #9 seed out of 10 teams dry.gif and will face #8 MTSU in the first round.

#10 Seed is Western Kentucky, who if I remember only offers 4 scholarships a year, half of allowed.

#7 is Arkansas State, #6 UALR, #5 Troy, #4 ULL, #3 USA, #2 Denver, #1 FIU

If UNT manages a win they will play FIU in second round, they lost to FIU 7-0 earlier in the Spring.

Edited by untbowler

as the #9 seed out of 10 teams  dry.gif  and will face #8 MTSU in the first round.

#10 Seed is Western Kentucky, who if I remember only offers 4 scholarships a year, half of allowed.

#7 is Arkansas State, #6 UALR, #5 Troy, #4 ULL, #3 USA, #2 Denver, #1 FIU

If UNT manages a win they will play FIU in second round, they lost to FIU 7-0 earlier in the Spring.

Help me on this too...... how many scholarship players do we have, and is the team predominantly made up of walk ons? Trying to get a feel for the spring programs as I read the posts.

Help me on this too...... how many scholarship players do we have, and is the team predominantly made up of walk ons?  Trying to get a feel for the spring programs as I read the posts.

Actually, I think your earlier comments ("Whats Wrong.......") probably clears up my question. I think I get it, and seems to be a root cause of poor coach hire choices and the trickledown you get from that....would that be your opinion? huh.gif

Women's Tennis can have upto 8 scholarships to use

Men's Tennis is 4.5 scholarships

Most schools will typically use all 8 scholarships, but some do not/did not choose too.

I know Sam Houston in the last 7-8 years moved from 6-8, Centenary only awards 2.5, WKU last check was only 4.

Also winners of Conference Tournament do get berths into the NCAA tournament.

Women's Tennis can have upto 8 scholarships to use

Men's Tennis is 4.5 scholarships

Most schools will typically use all 8 scholarships, but some do not/did not choose too.

I know Sam Houston in the last 7-8 years moved from 6-8, Centenary only awards 2.5, WKU last check was only 4.

Also winners of Conference Tournament do get berths into the NCAA tournament.

OK, but in the case of the golf teams finishing second for instance, are there at- large berths for programs deemed to have performed worthy of an NCAA berth, such as in basketball, even though they did not win the conference championship? Thanks

Ladie's win their opening round match against the Lady MUTS 4-2.  Should the lady MUTs be called "The B$#(&es?"

Nice surprising win since MTSU blew them out in their matches over the previous years.

Hope they can make a stand against FIU.

I wonder why the tournament no longer plays more matches, as recent as 2004 teams were basically guaranteed 2 matches now it is possible for a team to fly in and play one match of maybe 2 hrs and then be done.

Lack of courts is definately not an issue since the Mobile tennis center I believe has 35+ courts.

Also noticed SHSU swiped a local player right out from under us, Rowlett Senior who finished 3rd at 5A state last year.

Oh well recruiting on our doorstep is not a strong suit.

Edited by untbowler

Ladies lost to FIU 4-0, rather quick match.

FIU beat Troy later in the day 4-0

They will play Denver in the finals today.

Of note in 2001 UNT lost to Denver in a 8th/9th place match 4-3.

Both schools had new first-time head coaches, now Denver is on the verge of making its 2nd straight NCAA appearance and has been ranked in the Top 50 in the nation.

UNT on the other hand has still yet to defeat any Top 75 team and are finishing this season with their worst record in a number of years.

This year they had injuries and players leaving that hurt the depth.

They lost their #3 player from last year before the season, their current #3 left at the semester break, and their #6 player from last year was lost for the year. They did have 2 freshmen come in this year that played 1-4 all year which is promising, but they need some serious help at the top of the line-up. A strong #1 is needed, lets hope the team can pick itself back up next year.