GMG.com volunteer effort to build a Sand Pit

Davidson

This looks like a great tool for the players to use to stay in shape in the offseason. The sand would put less weight on their joints and prevent injury. I'm in, Are there any construction guys out there that can help? I'm no construction expert but I would be willing to help with the labor.

This sounds like a great project where we can help. Thanks for asking for volunteers.

Sorry about the bad email addresses. Here is the right one.

b0davidson98@yahoo.com

For all of you feel that this is made up post or what not email me your phone number and I will give you a call.

The plan is to do build the pit as soon as possible. I think we are going to be at sonic for Habitat For Humanity this next weekend, so obviously we can’t do it this weekend. If anyone knows anyone that does sand volleyball courts that would be pretty helpful. I will talk to Buck(strength coach) on Monday to figure out the details and I will get back to yall.

Thank you very much for all your responses, support and willingness to volunteer your time. Sorry again for the email bad addresses.

Davidson

Did some quick math on this. at a foot deep it is about 133 yards of sand. When i did my shop i paid like 10 a yard for the sand, but that isn't the right sand. Then if you do gravel also at a foot deep lets estiamte it at like 25 a yard.

Here is the projected amount of money we would need to donate to the Athletic Department for this project:

$1333 for sand

$3325 for gravel

$150 for drainage supplies

$500 for railroad ties

so around 5308 on the low side. I am no expert so maybe it can only be a foot deep, and maybe you don't need gravel jsut making guesses here

Edited by Harry

If we can figure up the approximate depth needed I cna call the couple yards i know to get sand from by the truck load. Also have access to heavy machinery to build it and dig the pit out.

Here is a link to an article I found detailing how to build a sand volleyball court. Obviously we would not need all of the details since this would only use the sand portion of the instructions.

http://www.volleyballmag.com/instruct/aug95/court.htm

Quick picture giving dimensions:

user posted image

So.............

To do this properly gravel would be needed for the length of it at a depth of 1 foot. Then 2 feet of sand would be needed to cover the gravel. At the dimensions given of 10 yds X 40 yds.

By my calculations that is 3600 square feet of gravel and 7200 square feet of sand. Not sure about what kind of price that is.

Also mentioned is a filter:

Cover the gravel with a screen-type filter to keep gravel and dirt from working its way up to the sand level. Again, burlap will work, but it will eventually rot, especially if you get a lot of rain. The best material is ground stabilization filter fabric, which is a woven poly-blend that won't deteriorate. You can find a supplier by calling a landscaping or excavating company for a referral.

Not sure about the cost of this either.

Some local vendors of sand and gravel:

http://www.local.com/results.aspx?keyword=...tion=on&x=0&y=0

Someone chime in if I am going about this the wrong way.

Edited by Zeke

I have no rpoblem being a collection point of cash for this project if it does in fact go through, but i would say lets hold off on getting money together till we can get an exact price nailed down.

but I guess folks could start posting up pledges to get some idea where we stand.

Davidson, Any idea on depth of sand needed? or gravel?

I would assume gravel is just for drainage so maybe we could cut the gravel down to liek 6 inches and maybe a little over a foot of sand. not sure?

Davidson, Any idea on depth of sand needed? or gravel?

I would assume gravel is just for drainage so maybe we could cut the gravel down to liek 6 inches and maybe a little over a foot of sand. not sure?

This sounds possible, I am not sure what specifications are necessary for volleyball and what would be just fine for a sand pit.

Good point Sound Man. The other question that I have is where is it going to go? I would assume over by the practice fields. Is there a place already picked out? Have we secured the go-ahead from the coaches and AD?

First, I'd like to point out that the Texas Tech players look reckless and terribly gay in that picture.

Second, I'll pledge a cash donation once the details are figured out.

Third, here's an idea for a killer fundraiser: add provisions to the sand pit for an actual volleyball net, and christen the facility with a beach volleyball match starring the UNT Dance Team.

Alright my source puts mason sand and the drainage stone at 17.50/ton delivered

so about 150 tons of gravel a little under a foot deep

and 200 tons of sand, a little over a foot deep

rock = 2625

sand = 3500

total = 6125

then need to add wood 300 linear feet of treated 2 x 12's - maybe brad and frisco lumber can help us here, and drainage pipe and fabric

best bet is to wait and see if davidson can get us some confirmation from the athletic department that this is all good and we have the space avaialble and that this is a feasible projectg