Revisiting the '68 NT-Arkansas game!

Over the years, I have been Editor/Publisher of several sports maqazines:

There was DALLAS SPORTS (supplement to The Dallas Morning News), PREGAME, SPORTSGAME and SPORTS TODAY (my last such publication).

I favorite was :MeanGreenFootball (I received funding through a friend at Channel 8-at that time). So, for the 1968 North Texas at Arkansas game, I published a tabloid, 24 pages...50,000 copies...and they were distributed prior to the game by several of us, as we passed them out to Hog fans as they entered War Memorial Stadium that great day!

What a game!!!! Bill Montgomery was the Arkansas QB, and Steve Ramsey would have a memorable game that day. The Hogs even looked fast during warmups. And, Arkansas would take a commanding lead at the half (17-3). The Mean Green would roar back, scoring 12 unanswered points to trail, 17-15. A last minute pass from Ramsey to Ron Shanklin should have been the winning TD. Shanklin caught the slant pass from 13 yards out, and fell as he cradled the ball. The SWC ref called it a trap, giving Arkansas the victory. I remember Frank Broyles meeting Rod Rust at midfield and patting him on the butt and admitting the Hogs got lucky. I also remember Rust crying outside the visitors locker room as he addressed the press.

What a Night! What a game for the ages! GO! MEAN GREEN!!!!

Over the years, I have been Editor/Publisher of several sports maqazines:

There was DALLAS SPORTS (supplement to The Dallas Morning News), PREGAME, SPORTSGAME and SPORTS TODAY (my last such publication).

I favorite was :MeanGreenFootball (I received funding through a friend at Channel 8-at that time). So, for the 1968 North Texas at Arkansas game, I published a tabloid, 24 pages...50,000 copies...and they were distributed prior to the game by several of us, as we passed them out to Hog fans as they entered War Memorial Stadium that great day!

What a game!!!! Bill Montgomery was the Arkansas QB, and Steve Ramsey would have a memorable game that day. The Hogs even looked fast during warmups. And, Arkansas would take a commanding lead at the half (17-3). The Mean Green would roar back, scoring 12 unanswered points to trail, 17-15. A last minute pass from Ramsey to Ron Shanklin should have been the winning TD. Shanklin caught the slant pass from 13 yards out, and fell as he cradled the ball. The SWC ref called it a trap, giving Arkansas the victory. I remember Frank Broyles meeting Rod Rust at midfield and patting him on the butt and admitting the Hogs got lucky. I also remember Rust crying outside the visitors locker room as he addressed the press.

What a Night! What a game for the ages! GO! MEAN GREEN!!!!

I remember that publication. I may even have a copy of it somewhere. By the way, don't forget the Mean Green fumble at the Arkansas 2 yard line. That killed us also.

I was at that game in Littlerock, with 45000 others. Leo Taylor rushed for 111 yards and Barry Moore caught 10 passes for 155 yards.NT had 354 total yards offense, 114 yards rushing. Steve Ramsey was 21 of 36 passes, 2 intercepts. The headlines in the Arkansas Democrat next day read " Razorbacks excape with 17-15 victory. It was indeed one exciting game.

I was at that game in Littlerock, with 45000 others. Leo Taylor rushed for 111 yards and Barry Moore caught 10 passes for 155 yards.NT had 354 total yards offense, 114 yards rushing. Steve Ramsey was 21 of 36 passes, 2 intercepts. The headlines in the Arkansas Democrat next day read " Razorbacks excape with 17-15 victory. It was indeed one exciting game.

I witnessed it all. Me and half a dozen or so "road trip" veterans. rolleyes.gif

I've talked to a half dozen of you over the years who were there. Sounds like an amazing game that I surely wished I could have seen. That same Arkansas team had just played a 9-1-1 Texas team for it's only loss of the year that season the previous week before our game. NT finished the year 8-2. The week after our game they beat A&M, then went on to beat an 8-1-2 Georgia team in the Sugar Bowl to finish 10-1 for the season. Does anyone know where that Razorback team ended up in the polls that season?

Rick

It would be interesting to compare the game statistics of the Arkansas/Texas game and the Arkansas/North Texas game that year.

And just a year later, Arkansas played Texas in the game of the Century.

BTW, Welcome to the board 64. How long have you been reading the board?

Edited by SilverEagle

It would be interesting to compare the game statistics of the Arkansas/Texas game and the Arkansas/North Texas game that year.

And just a year later, Arkansas played Texas in the game of the Century.

BTW, Welcome to the board 64. How long have you been reading the board?

I've been lurking around on this board since '98, been a mean green fan since '60. Green Grenade really caught my attention with his recount of that '68 game in Littlerock. Had that game bgeen played at Fouts, NT would have won!!

My wife and I were there.  It was a great game.  I always hate to hear people say they were robbed but it was true in this case.  I personally put Rod Rust up there with Hayden Fry as top head coach for the Mean Green.

I disagree.

What did Rod Rust do after all of Coach Mitchells' recruits were gone? Nada.

In all honesty to Rod Rust.....the man had some personal trouble the last year and a half at NTSU.

1. His son gets picked up and thrown in jail for dope.....just a reminder, dope penalties were much harsher than what they are now. I remember that one joint could land you 2 to life in "prison" (that is Huntsville State Pen) in the late 60's.

2. His wife dies.

Coach Rust was handed a phenominal team from Coach Mitchell.

Will have to agree, the man could not recruit.....and look what he had to build on!!

Some of you say, "winning will bring in the better players." Rust is another example that having the likes of Ramsey, Greene, Shanklin, Cedrick Hardman etc....and he could not recruit from this fantastic base!!!

1.  His son gets picked up and thrown in jail for dope.....just a reminder, dope penalties were much harsher than what they are now.  I remember that one joint could land you 2 to life in "prison" (that is Huntsville State Pen) in the late 60's.

I remember those days very well. There were a lot of life sentences handed out in those days.........for possession of pot forgodsakes.

Yes, those last few seasons with Rust were painfull. Getting beat by Weber State for example. Didn't we go 1-10 his last season?

I recall the cheer:

Give 'em hell Rod Rust, give 'em hell...

Give 'em hell Rod Rust, give 'em hell....

Awh hell, give 'em Rod Rust

In 71 we lost to Weber St (0-20) and to Akron (6-20).

Yes, his last season (72) was 1-10. The following spring I remember reading an article in the Daily about graffiti. They finished up the story by giving some local examples. One of the examples was found written on the men's restroom wall in the large auditorium. According to the article, it was inspired by the previous football season. It read......."Despite popular belief, the Mean Green is NOT a social disease".

It was also right after that season that there was a student referendum to drop football. The referendum failed. I was told that it didn't fail by much.