What is the best college venue you have been to

calvin

I have been to OU and UT, and those are both great but I want to exclude them...............I know a lot of people have been to out of town Sun Belt stadiums and probably some other ones, I just wanted to hear where people have been to and who has the best stadium and atmosphere besides the big time.

For me, I really enjoyed Amon Carter at TCU, the stadium is great, it has that old school feel and you are right on top of the action. If and when we build a new stadium, I hope it is as close to the field as Amon Carter is.

Please, please do not put Texas State on here, everyone knows on here that they had a great crowd of 14,000 for their playoff games.

For me, I really enjoyed Amon Carter at TCU, the stadium is great, it has that old school feel and you are right on top of the action.  If and when we build a new stadium, I hope it is as close to the field as Amon Carter is.

Papa Johns Stadium in Louisville, KY. Every seat has a back and the seating is very close to the field. The basic layout is very much like NT's could be with the Athletic Center being at one end zone allowing the players to walk right out of the locker rooms for the game. Most comfortable mid-level venue I've been to.

I don't get the Amon Carter love - to me it is boring and the fans are not very exciting either. But hey - I am a guy that likes Fouts so my views are way off from Joe Fan. My favorite place to watch a game - Fouts Field. Nothing like going "home" to Denton and watching my Mean Green play. As far as stadiums that I have been most impressed with outside of ours - probably Air Force... with NMSU coming in a close second. I have been to a game at the Sun Bowl (UTEP) and that was a pretty awesome environment - more tailgating then you see even at a big school like UT or OU - the city really embraces UTEP football and makes a full day out of it, but then again, there really is nothing else to do other then go across the border to party in Mexico.

As for BCS schools - the newly remodeled Oklahoma State stadium/arena is a marvel. When they rebuilt the basketball arena - they cut the roof off, built it up to add about 4K seats and then built a new roof on it. At the same time, they added luxury suites that are good for both basketball and football. Since the basketball arena hugs the corner of the stadium, they designed it so that if you bought a luxury suite on that side, you could have the option of buying it for football as well. Pretty cool stuff. They let the suite leasee's decorate the suite any way that they want.... so it is like their home away from home suring both basketball and football.

Lincoln Nebraska

Thanksgiving Day

1972 or 1973

OU came back on a hook and lateral to win in the snow.

My Dad was a high rollin' oil man and we flew in and flew out a small charter.

I froze to death at the game. Our feet sat on ice that was scraped from the seats.

LSU was pretty impressive also this year.

tU Memorial wouldn't even be in my top 5 for seating or atmosphere.

Best sitelines and close-to-the-field stadium is TCU's Amon Carter. LSU's Tiger stadium gets a close second.

For Atmosphere: LSU's Tiger Stadium, Nebraska and A&M's Kyle Field top my list. I have left these places with my ears ringing the next day from the noise.

Rick

Amon Carter is very good. Not blown away by the atmosphere, but there is some there. Good place to "see" a game, though.

Cotton Bowl is a great place atmosphere-wise depending on who's playing--which goes for a lot of stadiums--UT included.

Also thought SBC Jones is a great places to see a game, as far as the sightlines. Fans and atmosphere: obnoxious when they're winning, and disappear when they get their teeth kicked in.

Sun Bowl is great.

Pyle and the cult are loud, except when they're getting their asses beat, and 75% of the students disappear in the 4th.

Gameday at Fouts is better than I've ever seen it, but the old girl has seen her time.

Edited by LongJim

I think when Oklahoma State gets theirs done it will be real nice, except for the fake grass.  I couldn't find any pictures of it though.

Oklahoma State: The Next Level

Above is a link off the official OSU athletic site, front page, and it's been on there for over two years now so that any and all Poke fans can keep up to date on the progress of the new stadium. When their done this may end up being one of the finest football venues in the nation. It will have come a long long way from the rust bucket that we played them in back in the early 90's. For whatever people think of OSU they really seem to do things right when it comes to planning, promoting and building facilities on campus. I've been very impressed with the research and planning they have put into building everything from dorms to athletic facilities. One reason I have been able to keep up with OSU is because one of our captains at my station is an alumn from there and the mailers he recieves each month are simply incredible. You read just one of those things and you can't help but get excited about OSU football, or basketball or whatever it is their doing at the time. And both renovations, the "Raise the Roof" campaign for their basketball facility a few years back, and the one for the new football stadium are always included in the mailers.

Rick

I feel bad now that I had the chance to go to other venues and missed out.

I attended Texas Tech for a semester so I have that one to compare to. 1979 it was not that great.

I lived in Washington D.C. and had no interest in Maryland or Georgetown. I lived in Memphis and never made it to the Liberty Bowl.

as far as atmosphere. UT has to be in everyones top 5. both sides of the stadium chanting Texas....Fight.....Texas.....Fight. its electric

Then you must also consider Kyle Field, where during the fight song, the entire stadium sways to "Saw 'varsity's horns off."