UTA Unveils New Logo

Eagle-96

I'm not crazy about the UTA logo.  However, I think the blue and orange color scheme works well.... 

I like Green and Yellow, but I'm sure the thought of those colors for UNT makes you want to puke the same way some of us in Arlington would if the Mavericks started wearing even "trace amounts" of Orange.

The problem is not artistic - it is that we are in the UT system. Any show of the mother ship's colors is indicative that UT Arlington is a mere satellite. Besides - UT San Antonio, UT El Paso and probably other UTs I don't even know about already have that Auburnesque set of colors.

The AD has assured me that UT Arlington WILL NOT use the color orange in any of its athletic uniforms. As a former UTA athlete, I think I am not alone in having very strong negative feelings about the color orange. cool.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a UTA alum (with advanced degrees from UNT) I could care less what they do or don't do. Taking away football was the biggest mistake they ever made and they refuse to admit the mistake. I do not go on campus, am not a member of any campus organization and do not contribute to any funds and NEVER WILL. mad.gif

As a UTA alum (with advanced degrees from UNT) I could care less what they do or don't do.  Taking away football was the biggest mistake they ever made and they refuse to admit the mistake.  I do not go on campus, am not a member of any campus organization and do not contribute to any funds and NEVER WILL. mad.gif

Send all your funds to NT!!

The AD has assured me that UT Arlington WILL NOT use the color orange in any of its athletic uniforms.  As a former UTA athlete, I think I am not alone in having very strong negative feelings about the color orange. cool.gif

Never say never. It's very hard to use a logo on a uniform without a third color for trim. UNT has started using black as a third trim color, and I like it, especially with the Kelly green (much preferred over the copper and navy that was tried). The UTA "A" logo even as depicted will need a trim color (red was used recently for UTA) and especially against a dark blue uniform you can't use black. I see some orange trim in your future even if the AD says no.

New UTA logo

Bison, tell us how you really feel! biggrin.gif

I tend to agree with the thought put-forth by NT80. We will probably need a trim color. I suppose we could use something besides orange (sanctioned) or red (on the outs), but that would seem to be counter to the current color clarification and definition. We'd probably have to go back and ask the regents for permission to use another color.

Of course, if Pete says no orange on the uniforms, I don't have any reason to doubt that he means what he says.

I'm an alum, too, and am very glad we are keeping blue as the dominant color, but, at the same time I don't have any hostile feelings toward the color orange. I could elaborate, but, suffice it to say that I'm very much at ease with it.

As a UTA alum (with advanced degrees from UNT) I could care less what they do or don't do.  Taking away football was the biggest mistake they ever made and they refuse to admit the mistake.  I do not go on campus, am not a member of any campus organization and do not contribute to any funds and NEVER WILL. mad.gif

Sorry you've been hurt. I've felt that way about the Nedderman decision for 21 years now. But the passive-aggressive bitterness really has no effect on the ones who killed football. It even makes them feel justified. They never expected you to go on campus, join any organization or contribute in any way.

In fact, Nedderman and his cronies claimed that UTA students, alumni and community fans really didn't care enough to support a team. Were they wrong? I hope when the time comes, you'll show your support for bringing football back.

The fact that you come across as angry makes me think maybe you care more than you're willing to admit. Maybe we'll see you at the games before too long!

smile.gif

Bison, tell us how you really feel!   biggrin.gif

I tend to agree with the thought put-forth by NT80.  We will probably need a trim color.  I suppose we could use something besides orange (sanctioned) or red (on the outs), but that would seem to be counter to the current color clarification and definition.  We'd probably have to go back and ask the regents for permission to use another color.

Of course, if Pete says no orange on the uniforms, I don't have any reason to doubt that he means what he says.

I'm an alum, too, and am very glad we are keeping blue as the dominant color, but, at the same time I don't have any hostile feelings toward the color orange.  I could elaborate, but, suffice it to say that I'm very much at ease with it.

I'm hearing the words "Burnt Red." Fortunately, it is not orange, nor is it maroon. Kind of a dark garnet. Maybe it will be used. It seems to have appeared on the official UTA Athletics website. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Duck_Mav

I have to agree with Bison and his sentiments about UTA....

After dropping out of there and languishing for several years, I hesitantly tried to get back into the groove of things...

The staff in general were'nt agreeable, helpful, pleasant, or anything the first or second time i went there; the student population wasn't much better either...

Thank the maker for UNT... they let an older undergrad come in and feel welcomed... it was like a second home!

NEVER will UTA get anything from me... I don't wish any ill will on the school, but i aint gonna give them any help either!

And yup, giving up footbal was the worst mistake in the history of arlington college!

Is UTA still getting the cold shoulder from the UT System?  Wasn't there some falling out between the two a couple years ago over the system's emphasis on UT Dallas and UT Southwestern?  I haven't followed the status on that and am just curious.

I don't know, but why would you ask on a North Texas athletic's board? I'm about worn out with the UTA talk.

Is UTA still getting the cold shoulder from the UT System? Wasn't there some falling out between the two a couple years ago over the system's emphasis on UT Dallas and UT Southwestern? I haven't followed the status on that and am just curious.

NTAggie, you have a pretty good memory. This did make a lot of news 2 or 3 years ago. The differences were between 2 or 3 Tarrant County legislators in Arlington and Fort Worth (who view UT Arlington as an economic engine) and the system chancellor. State Senator Chris Harris, who is an absolute bulldog for UT Arlington, led the charge. (If he were not on our side, I probably wouldn't like him.) Mark Yudolf came in as the new chancellor of the System and these legislators perceived a tilt in emphases toward UT Dallas in terms of who becomes a full-blown research institution first. I don't know if the tilt was true, but it was enough if the senators & representatives believed it.

Anyway, these legislators threatened to introduce legislation to House & Senate to take UT Arlington out of the UT System for an undisclosed location. Well, the regents reacted quickly to squelch this initiative, satisfy the legislators, and retain UT Arlington. They basically jumped through hoops to demonstrate their commitment to UTA as a research institition. The Lt. Gov. visited the campus on behalf of the legislators and agreed to monitor an agreement between the legislators and System. Since this time, I believe we have been on the "A List" in terms of System initiatives to build research capacity, e.g., a new agreement between Vought Aircraft and the college of engineering which was directed by the System, a new chemistry & physics building, etc.

As a side note, although A&M had to keep a low profile due to the politics of the situation, I have heard from a well placed source who is close to the A&M leadership that the A&M System would have been most eager to get back the component they lost in 1965.

All-in-all, this little rift turned-out to be one of the best things to happen to UTA.

UTA is in a tough spot. I have numerous friends and family who went there. None has ever returned to campus. None lived on campus. I am not sure if any of them ever attended a sporting event. One says he went to "UT . . . .<a>".

That being said, blue and orange are taken from a UT system school, that is UTEP. The athletic / spirit logo is similar to UTEP's in a way as well. Sorry, but these logos did nothing for me. As they say with name changes and new logos, "just give them time", but as for now, I am not impressed.

Depending on one's viewpoint, UTA could be in a tough spot or a great spot. Depends on what you are measuring and what your view of the world is. Outside of Texas A&M or UT Austin (which are virtually indisputably in "great" spots), one could probably make similar statements for any university in Texas. Each has their challenges, strengths, and opportunities. "Connecting" with alumni is a definite challenge for UTA, as vast legions went through developing little or no loyalty. In terms of strengths, academically and research-wise, UTA has the goods. Opportunities are to grow this and to grow an enriching student environment (which cultivates eventual alumni ties).

Objective, it doesn't surprise me that your friends didn't live on campus. Up until the last few years or so, the capacity and demand was limited. This is one of the big environmental changes that have occured over the past few years: lots of on-campus housing...along with a new real emphases of offering a rich student life experience for all who want to grab on to it.

On the logo, I'm still getting used to it myself.

Maybe UTA could fund a message board to discuss this.

Very funny. wink.gif

If either of you Aggies want to come over to utamavericks.com, the welcome mat is out.

I've been leaving a lot of comments on this thread alone, but somebody keeps coming in with more discussion that is interesting to me.

Maybe the next time this thread gets to page 2 it will just slip away. I promise I won't be the one who keeps bringing it back. How's that, Lifer? Probably 1600 hits or so to a UTA topic is enough for a UNT board. smile.gif

Go UTA: thanks for the info. After spending some time in the real world after getting my MPA at UNT, I'm thinking about starting my Ph.D. in public affairs at UTD. I was kinda hoping you guys were still at odds so UTD might get more money from the system to then offer me as financial aid. haha j/k! tongue.gif

UNTLifer: relax. One thread about UTA, even a fairly lengthy one, isn't the end of the world, nor is anyone forcing you to read it. cool.gif And I asked an NT board for an obvious reason: this thread was already here, and Go UTA seems to know what he's talking about. Kind of a no-brainer there, I would think.