DRC Article on Spring Practice

UNTLifer

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm..... maybe my 3-4 prediction was correct for the Mean Green. I'm interested to know if Bleil has used the 3-4 scheme in the past. It just makes more sense given the strengths and weaknesses of our team (DL and LB). We have quit a bit of speed with our LB's, so I would love to see a more aggressive, blitzing D this season.

Possibly you didn't see the last four games of the regular season, when we used a spread more often, passed 30 times a game, passed from our own 10, passed on 1st down, etc, and did so before we were behind.

Yeah have to look at why we were passing so much at the end of the season.

Let's use the FAU game as an example:

We didn't score until the 3rd quarter on a blocked punt returned for a yd TD. NT 6 FAU 17.

Let's move ahead to the 4th qtr ...

FAU scores another TD. NT 6 FAU 23. At this point, we're way behind the 8-ball and go into desperation mode; enter Phillips into the game. We score back-to-back TDs, with a special thanks to a successful onside kick. NT 20 FAU 23. We only passed in this game because it was the only way for us to move the ball in a short period of time.

Passing Breakdown:

1 qtr - 2/3 for 12 yds

2 qtr - 1/9 for 4 yds with 1 INT

3 qtr - 4/8 for 33 yds (Phillips comes in and is 0/3)

4 qtr - 8/15 for 138 yds

1 half - 3/12 for 16 yds (1 pass for 15 yds)

2 half - 12/23 for 171 yds (1 pass for 53 yds)

So why all this passing the ball in the 2nd half? ... Oh yeah, we were down by more then 2 TDs.

NT/FAU Game Stats

The NT/Monroe was much of the same. With the ASU game it seems the game plan was to pass more, we were still 38-22-2 for 218 yds given that ASU had what looked to be an average pass defense (allowed 191.7 passing yds/game). Yeah, it was above our average (129.3 yds/game), but our defense fell apart in the 2nd half and we managed to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yeah have to look at why we were passing so much at the end of the season.

Let's use the FAU game as an example:

We didn't score until the 3rd quarter on a blocked punt returned for a yd TD.  NT 6 FAU 17.

Let's move ahead to the 4th qtr ...

FAU scores another TD.  NT 6 FAU 23.  At this point, we're way behind the 8-ball and go into desperation mode; enter Phillips into the game.  We score back-to-back TDs, with a special thanks to a successful onside kick.  NT 20 FAU 23.  We only passed in this game because it was the only way for us to move the ball in a short period of time.

Passing Breakdown:

1 qtr - 2/3 for 12 yds

2 qtr - 1/9 for 4 yds with 1 INT

3 qtr - 4/8 for 33 yds (Phillips comes in and is 0/3)

4 qtr - 8/15 for 138 yds

1 half - 3/12 for 16 yds (1 pass for 15 yds)

2 half - 12/23 for 171 yds (1 pass for 53 yds)

So why all this passing the ball in the 2nd half? ... Oh yeah, we were down by more then 2 TDs.

NT/FAU Game Stats

The NT/Monroe was much of the same.  With the ASU game it seems the game plan was to pass more, we were still 38-22-2 for 218 yds given that ASU had what looked to be an average pass defense (allowed 191.7 passing yds/game).  Yeah, it was above our average (129.3 yds/game), but our defense fell apart in the 2nd half and we managed to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Damn you and your facts! biggrin.gif

Good stats. I wish there was more of this on the board. No one can argue with stats.

I would, however, respectfully point out that the argument of "we only pass a lot when we're behind" kinda goes without saying. Any team is going to pass a lot more when they're down, because they need scores in a hurry. When we're up, I'm not sure how many deep go routes or playaction posts I want to see. They're just waaay to risky when you have much above a score or two lead, especially when you have a killer run attack as we have had in the past. I'd much rather see our guys pound it out when we have the lead.

Good stats.  I wish there was more of this on the board.  No one can argue with stats.

I would, however, respectfully point out that the argument of "we only pass a lot when we're behind" kinda goes without saying.  Any team is going to pass a lot more when they're down, because they need scores in a hurry.  When we're up, I'm not sure how many deep go routes or playaction posts I want to see.  They're just waaay to risky when you have much above a score or two lead, especially when you have a killer run attack as we have had in the past.  I'd much rather see our guys pound it out when we have the lead.

Every coach knows that there are 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them aren't good but with risk comes reward. If a team is worried about getting their defense picked apart, they back off the line and start using their LBs for middle-of-the-field coverage. Since we didn't pass the ball very much, defenses just loaded the box to stop the run, constantly used a run blitz, and dared us to pass. We rarely adjusted to this, in part because we didn't have the personnel; the other ... we don't seem to make in-game adjustments.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how that "killer running attack" will do since our achilles heel has been revealed (ala NT/Soutern Miss 2004 New Orleans Bowl)