Godbolt Chooses UNT

The Jason

From the Wise County Messenger

SIGNING DAY — Tomorrow is a big day in the sports world: national signing day, the first day that a high school recruit can legally sign a letter of intent to attend college on an athletic scholarship. Local football players scheduled to sign tomorrow include Colin Jones (Texas Christian University) and Ross Basham (South Dakota State University) from Bridgeport High School, Devin Godboldt (University of North Texas) who currently Attends Denton Liberty Christian School and Blake Collier of Northwest (Texas Tech).

Maybe I am a little bias because this kid is a friend of the family.....but we were hoping that UNT would come calling and they did. He had a wonderful year at Decatur 2 years ago and last year he led Denton Liberty to the state finials.

He's a running back. Probably 5'6" or 5'7" 175?...pretty powerfully built but a scat back that's low to the ground. Can catch the ball out of the backfield. Ran for over 2500 yards on 10 yards a carry and 31 TDs in 2005. Ran for like 1500 for Decatur in 2004 (in a spread offense).

Good article on Godboldt from WCM during playoff run w/Decatur when he was a junior. The Eagles were the #1 ranked 3A team in the state that year...lost to Abilene Wylie...eventual State Champ.

A place to call home

Family’s love gives DHS athlete a second chance at life

Published Thursday, November 25, 2004

By Robert Morgan

Three years ago, Devin Godboldt was a kid who was abandoned by his father and spent many nights wandering his Florida neighborhood pondering where he would sleep or get his next warm meal.

This Thanksgiving, the Decatur junior has everything he never had and will enjoy a warm feast with his new family and the most important man in his life.

Devin Godboldt has become an icon at Decatur High School. The junior tailback’s quickness and knack for making defenses look silly have helped guide the Eagles’ football team to an unbeaten record and to the top of the Class 3A state rankings.

The 17-year old is enjoying his time in the limelight as a community celebrity. He has lots of new friends, has captured many headlines and is a popular kid since moving to Wise County in 2001.

Life for Godboldt has not always been a touchdown. In fact, his life before Decatur was one that most will never understand or even believe.

Growing up in a broken family in Jacksonville, Fla., Godboldt never had the chance to enjoy the holidays with a traditional family. He had a father who never wanted him and a mother who could not care for him. That prompted Russell and Laura Spain of Decatur to adopt the Florida native and bring him to Decatur.

“The only person he really had in his life was his grandmother who took care of him and a few of his eight brothers and sisters,” said Laura Spain. “It got to the point where she could not handle him anymore so we wasted no time getting him.”

Godboldt, who moved in with his grandmother at age 9, has never gotten to know his father; he has not been around his entire life or provided any support.

“He has never been a father to me. He left us when my mom was pregnant with me,” Godboldt said. “He has never cared to see me, help me as a kid or anything so I never felt I ever even had a dad. I don’t feel like that with Russell. He is the father I always wanted and needed and he is there for me.”

Godboldt lived with his mother through age 9. However, she had more personal problems than she could handle so she left him with his grandmother who opened her home to several of his eight siblings at one time or another.

“After all that had happened, I was happy to be at my grandma’s,” he said. “I couldn’t be around my mom anymore.”

Godboldt moved in with his grandma in 1998 where he was in a more stable environment and learned responsibilites. She also allowed him to join a local youth football program, a decision that changed his life.

A year later he joined a new team that was coached by Russell Spain, the man who would eventually become the father he never had.

“Devin was like part of the family,” Russell Spain said. “His grandma couldn’t get him to practices so we started taking him, and then before long he was staying with us on the weekends.”

Godboldt developed a strong friendship with the Spain’s children, Justin Else and Jordan Spain. He and Justin were inseparable the next two years on and off the playing field.

“The Spains were like my family. They took me everywhere and I was always with them,” Godboldt remembered. “I had so much fun and Justin and I were always hanging out, I never wanted to go home.”

The bond they formed was tested in 2001 when Laura Spain, retired from the military, was transferred to Texas. The job relocation brought the family to Wise County, and Godboldt felt his life was being taken away from him again.

“I can’t explain how I felt when I heard they had to leave,” he said. “I asked if I could go but I couldn’t. There was no way my grandma would let me go and my mom told me I could not live with white folks.”

He lost the only family he says he has ever had. It was just as hard on the Spains as it was for the 14-year old Godboldt.

“He was like our son already but we had no control of where he lived. His grandmother was his legal guardian and made the decision,” Laura Spain said. “We sent him calling cards so he could call and he did just about every day.”

Even though the Spains were just a phone call away at all times, Godboldt rebelled. He consistently got in trouble, ran away from home or would just not come home at all on some nights.

Life in Forida got worse for Goldboldt. Legal troubles started to follow him as he was arrested and even landed in a juvenile detention center — a visit that served as a warning if he got into any more trouble.

He consistently got into fights in school and around Jacksonville. Godboldt would also leave home for days at a time with friends who were involved in drugs. It all helped him forget about the loss of the Spains.

“It hurt me a lot,” he said. “I cried more than I ever have and it seemed like I cried all the time because I lost the people I cared about the most. I didn’t know what to do. A social worker told me if I made my grandma mad enough she would kick me out, and then I might be able to move to Texas.”

That day came; Laura Spain received a call from Devin’s grandmother who told them if they did not come get him, he was out on the street or going to a foster home.

“Russell was there that same day,” she said. “He not only went to get him, but he took the paperwork for us to adopt him. They signed the papers and the power of attorney, and he was ours.”

Russell Spain met with Godboldt’s mother, Sherlean, to discuss them taking over guardianship. Though she still was not fond of her son moving in with “a white family,” she agreed to let him live with the Spains.

Godboldt packed all of his belongings into one suitcase. His possessions included a few pants and shirts, a Sega game machine and the only mementos he has of his childhood – three blurry photos.

“My three pictures are all I have of my brothers and sisters,” said Godboldt. “I hope one day I get more.”

Because he was so far behind in school, Godboldt had to repeat part of the eighth grade when he moved to Decatur three years ago. However, he made up for lost time and was moved to the ninth grade during Christmas break which allowed him to get back on track.

That was also the year DHS football coach Kyle Story met Godboldt for the first time.

“We were in the middle of practice and he was running laps with Justin,” Story remembered. “He referred to Justin as his brother. Naturally, it was kind of funny because they obviously don’t look alike. But he referred to him as his brother, and not Justin, so I thought that was pretty neat.”

Godboldt got to know Story a lot better that year when he played for the freshman “B” team.

“I figured he would be a good football player but he just did not understand our system so he played on the ‘B’ team,” Story said. “Besides, he could not hold on to a football for anything. Every time he carried the ball it would go flying in some direction. He carried it like a loaf of bread. It was funny.”

Times have changed on and off the field since then. Godboldt, who has more than 1,400 yards rushing for the varsity team, is one of the top running backs in the Metroplex. He is even gaining attention from colleges for his quickness and speed.

“My parents say our dog, Saige, helped me with my speed and quickness,” Godboldt said. “They would make him chase us around the yard and I would have to ‘juke’ her to get away. It was so funny.”

Regardless of where he got his speed, Story is glad to have him on his side.

“He has become a very good football player,” Story said. “I knew he would be good, but he has passed my expectations and is a very important part of this football team.”

He has also become a different person off the field. Godboldt is not only passing his classes consistently these days, but he is also expecting to make the A-B honor roll for the first time.

He is also a popular kid on campus and has a smile that can light up a dark hallway at DHS.

“I’m happy. Things are going good for me,” he said. “I have everything I want. I have my new mom and dad, a brother and sister and I get to play football.”

Godboldt still gets in trouble at home, like any kid, but it’s a far cry from life in Jacksonville.

“He still has his days,” Russell Spain said. “He still has a lot to learn and he gets in trouble like any kid does, but we love and care about him like we do for all of our kids. We wouldn’t have it any other way.”

• Upvote 1

I watched him play only one time, and that was the Decatur/Abeline Wylie game in 04. Devin had been hurt the week before, so he wasn't playing at 100% against Wylie. I was struck by how quick he was,...even while playing hurt.

For those old enough, I would compare Devin's style of running and quickness to that of "Mercury Morris".

Being 5'7" doesn't bother me either. I believe that there is a former Oklahoma Sooner RB who was 5'7" and is now playing in the NFL.

I also believe that Ja'Quay Wilburn was about 5'7".

I watched every game that Godbolt played when he played for Decatur. The kid is fast and tough. He will not be tackled by arms and the majority of the time it takes more than one player to take him down. I even saw the NT scouts at several of the games keeping stats. His injury at the end of the year was from a cheap shot by a Gainesville player who dove into his Knee. No major damage as he played the next week at about 50% speed, and he was still faster than most.

I know that on the first score he had for Decatur he started to hot dog a little and Coach Story benched him for a good portion of the game after his theatrics. He was a model player after that.

Liberty Christian made his parents an offer that they could not refuse for him to go to Liberty so he transferred his senior year, kind of sorry but he had only been at Decatur a short time. I hope this dosen't continue in college.

Overall this is a good pickup and he should do very well at North Texas. He will need to be paired with a good roll model or he has the ability to become a liability to the team, I am sure the coaching staff is aware of this.

I watched every game that Godbolt played when he played for Decatur.  The kid is fast and tough.  He will not be tackled by arms and the majority of the time it takes more than one player to take him down.  I even saw the NT scouts at several of the games keeping stats.  His injury at the end of the year was from a cheap shot by a Gainesville player who dove into his Knee.  No major damage as he played the next week at about 50% speed, and he was still faster than most.

I know that on the first score he had for Decatur he started to hot dog a little and Coach Story benched him for a good portion of the game after his theatrics.  He was a model player after that.

Liberty Christian made his parents an offer that they could not refuse for him to go to Liberty so he transferred his senior year, kind of sorry but he had only been at Decatur a short time.  I hope this dosen't continue in college.

Overall this is a good pickup and he should do very well at North Texas.  He will need to be paired with a good roll model or he has the ability to become a liability to the team, I am sure the coaching staff is aware of this.

idp054, do you live in Decatur?

I agree about him needing to be paired with a good role model. Besides a good "peer" role model, kids from his situation (this is my area of expertise) need to have their support system close by (ie his foster/adoptive parents). That's why I hope that the coaching staff is not thinking about placing him at a JUCO. It won't work.

I watched every game that Godbolt played when he played for Decatur.  The kid is fast and tough.  He will not be tackled by arms and the majority of the time it takes more than one player to take him down.  I even saw the NT scouts at several of the games keeping stats.  His injury at the end of the year was from a cheap shot by a Gainesville player who dove into his Knee.  No major damage as he played the next week at about 50% speed, and he was still faster than most.

I know that on the first score he had for Decatur he started to hot dog a little and Coach Story benched him for a good portion of the game after his theatrics.  He was a model player after that.

Liberty Christian made his parents an offer that they could not refuse for him to go to Liberty so he transferred his senior year, kind of sorry but he had only been at Decatur a short time.  I hope this dosen't continue in college.

Overall this is a good pickup and he should do very well at North Texas.  He will need to be paired with a good roll model or he has the ability to become a liability to the team, I am sure the coaching staff is aware of this.

His entire family had graduated from Liberty, including his adopted parents and his cousins transferred with him. They didn't recruit him, the family is not happy with many things that have occured at Decatur and Liberty has always been home to them.

After being on the sidelines watching this kid the only thing to describe him is very very fast. I would say a legitimate 4.4 maybe faster. I am excited to have him, I think he could step in and return kicks next year without a doubt. As far as the Gainesville game last year if you call a kid tackling a kid at the legs a cheap shot then there are cheap shots all game.

Edited by calvin

From the Wise County Messenger

SIGNING DAY — Tomorrow is a big day in the sports world: national signing day, the first day that a high school recruit can legally sign a letter of intent to attend college on an athletic scholarship. Local football players scheduled to sign tomorrow include Colin Jones (Texas Christian University) and Ross Basham (South Dakota State University) from Bridgeport High School, Devin Godboldt (University of North Texas) who currently Attends Denton Liberty Christian School and Blake Collier of Northwest (Texas Tech).

Maybe I am a little bias because this kid is a friend of the family.....but we were hoping that UNT would come calling and they did.  He had a wonderful year at Decatur 2 years ago and last year he led Denton Liberty to the state finials.

Devin is one of the fastest backs I saw this season while working on the Chevy Inside High School Football show. Actually he is probably one of the fastest backs I have seen in over 20 years. This kid can fly!!!!

Go the this website highlighted below and look at Denton Liberty Christians Highlights. You will need to register to view this, but go look at his run on week 9 against FW Christian. Also, go to the cover story section and there is a great feature on Devin. There are also several other Denton Liberty Christian games to view for the 2005 football season.

He is not very big or tall, but he leaves a contrail on the field while standing in the zone zone! Chevy Inside High School Football

Edited by CAV

After being on the sidelines watching this kid the only thing to describe him is very very fast.  I would say a legitimate 4.4 maybe faster.  I am excited to have him, I think he could step in and return kicks next year without a doubt.  As far as the Gainesville game last year if you call a kid tackling a kid at the legs a cheap shot then there are cheap shots all game.

My source tells me that the Gainesville player (the all-state LB) went after his knees with his helmet......at the end of a very impressive multi-direction-changing-juking-darting run.

My source also tells me that this years Gainesville players are known to make leg and ankle "adjustments" on opposing players, while they are in a pile-up. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, my source tells me that Devin is a "ball of gristle" who can play D-1 ball and could (if developed) make some very big plays for North Texas.

Well I was there at the game and I saw a kid make a tackle that you see a 100 times and Godbolt flipped into the endzone. As far as stuff under the pile, I dont think I ever played a game where people werent doing dirty stuff under a pile. Twisting legs, pinching, grabbing, and punching.

I dont know why people hate Gainesville so much.

Goldbolt is a stud glad he is wearing Green.

I watched him play only one time, and that was the Decatur/Abeline Wylie game in 04. Devin had been hurt the week before, so he wasn't playing at 100% against Wylie. I was struck by how quick he was,...even while playing hurt.

For those old enough, I would compare Devin's style of running and quickness to that of "Mercury Morris".

Being 5'7" doesn't bother me either. I believe that there is a former Oklahoma Sooner RB who was 5'7" and is now playing in the NFL.

I also believe that Ja'Quay Wilburn was about 5'7".

Silver,sure you are not thinking about Pistol Pete Pedro instead of Mercury, Pete is about 5'7" was maybe 165-170 lbs, blind in one eye and the best i've ever seen. He was a Mass. golden glove champion, as they say you could not corner him in a phone booth.Mercury was much larger. Pete was injured when he was hit out of boumds by a UNT player in the fall of '63. Never recovered still a high draft choice of the Patriots, who carried him on their inactive roll for four or five years hoping for his recovery. Pete is now a high school principal in Mass.

Silver,sure you are not thinking about Pistol Pete Pedro instead of Mercury, Pete is about 5'7" was maybe 165-170 lbs, blind in one eye and the best i've ever seen. He was a Mass. golden glove champion, as they say you could not corner him in a phone booth.Mercury was much larger. Pete was injured when he was hit out of boumds by a UNT player in the fall of '63. Never recovered still a high draft choice of the Patriots, who carried him on their inactive roll for four or five years hoping for his recovery. Pete is now a high school principal in Mass.

No, I was thinking of Mercury Morris. MM couldn't have been any bigger than 5'8" X 190lbs.