NT Banquet

H-towngreen

Since the previous banquet post was hijacked by Plumm and whatever he was talking about I decided to start a new one.

How was the attendence? Any recruits of note? Did it look like J-Mo has lost some weight? Any of the new JUCOs in attendence?

Attendance was decent but not as many people as last year. Several recruits were there, but I don't know who was who. Didn't see J-Mo, I was on the other side of the room trying to keep my kids my destroying anything.

Favorite quote of the night as DD left the stage, he said very emphatically, "I feel sorry for whoever has to play our asses next year".

Dunham did a nice job of talking about the program, selling the postives.

All in all, I am very glad I went.

As I stated earlier:

The banquet was pretty good, food was good and coach Dickey, George Dunham and RV did a very good job presenting the awards and speaking positively about the program. Not an easy thing considering the past season. I have no idea which recruits were there. We got to watch some of the Hula bowl on the big screens prior to the program starting.

According to the team, coaches and the program overall, Andrew Smith's jersey is now retired and will never be worn at NT again. They then presented Andrews' parents with his jersey. It was a very moving night concering the loss of Andrew, and his parents seemed surpised by it all with what was said and presented. DD's comments were very emotional and brought a lot into perspective. Mrs. Smith said Andrew loved NT, it was where he wanted to be.

Very few of the seniors were in attendance.

During one of the funnier parts of his presentation DD called me out in mentioning that he had an apology to make concerning tortilla gate. He said earlier in the season the AD dept had decided that we would not throw torts, that we only threw them when we scored a TD, and considering we didn't score a TD for so long that people had forgotten the rules once we did scorre 6 or so games into the season and that was why the mess occured. LOL!

Overall it was a fun night and I'm excited about Spring ball, which starts Mon, Feb 13th, and runs through the spring game which will be Thursday 6 p.m., March 9th.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Favorite quote of the night as DD left the stage, he said very emphatically, "I feel sorry for whoever has to play our asses next year".

Now that is the kind of attitude I like. He needs to instill that into his players and make them believe whenever they step out onto that field they will kick the other teams ass and show no mercy.

2006 MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL SLOGAN: SHOW NO MERCY! BRING BACK THE TITLE!!!

I wish he would have that attitude on the radio and not act instead like we're lucky to be on the same field with some of these teams. A coach has to inspire the fans as well as the team! dry.gif

Since the previous banquet post was hijacked by Plumm and whatever he was talking about I decided to start a new one.

How was the attendence? Any recruits of note? Did it look like J-Mo has lost some weight? Any of the new JUCOs in attendence?

JUST RESPONDING TO A POOR UNFORTUNATE & MISGUIDED UNT ALUM WHO IS LIVING A MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL DELUSION (and who did sorta' use part of my moniker in his subject title)

But H-towngreen, do I need to repost (as you say) "whatever I was talking about" so that some of you who have your noses buried up DD's, well, uh, (I'll say just say his mediocrity) so even a few of you can understand loud and clear? (You don't live around some of those Houston area "air polluting" chemical plants down there, now do you)?

Answer this question for a growing number of us H-towngreen:

Who do we have on this present NT athletic staff that any other NCAA D1-A school (outside the SBC--insert a Norm Hitzhes giggle) would ever be interested in hiring away from us?

If anyone out there says none (because H-towngreen, I think you probably might say they're all bound for Big 12 schools; but if the rest of you say "none", then why the hell do we continue to keep them on the UNT payroll and honor bottom of the barrell performance with this (seemedly at UNT only) phenomena called, uh, extended contracts for under .500 career coaches?

Some of you who have your noses buried up DD's, well..............anyway, please enlighten the rest of us who can actually read (with our UNT educations) and can actually decide for ourselves what our 2005 NT Football Media Guides are really telling us concerning the cold blatant stark truth of a DD-led NT football program.

Have A Nice Day, Fellow Texans!:)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

JUST RESPONDING TO A POOR UNFORTUNATE & MISGUIDED UNT ALUM WHO IS LIVING A MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL DELUSION (and who did sorta' use part of my moniker in his subject title)

But H-towngreen, do I need to repost (as you say)  "whatever I was talking about" so that some of you who have your noses buried up DD's, well, uh, (I'll say just say his mediocrity) so even a few of you can understand loud and clear?  (You don't live around some of those Houston area "air polluting" chemical plants down there, now do you)?

Who do we have on this present NT athletic staff that any other NCAA D1-A school (outside the SBC--insert a Norm Hitzhes giggle)  would ever be interested in hiring away from us?  

If anyone out there says none (because H-towngreen, I think you probably might say they're all bound for Big 12 schools; but if the rest of you say "none", then why the hell do we continue to keep them on the UNT payroll and honor bottom of the barrell performance with this  (seemedly at UNT only) phenomena called, uh,  extended contracts for under .500 career coaches?  

Some of you who have your noses buried up DD's, well..............anyway, please enlighten the rest of us who can actually read (with our UNT educations) and can actually decide for ourselves what our 2005 NT Football Media Guides are really telling us concerning the cold blatant stark truth of a DD-led NT football program.

what is the point of this post? Couldnt cant we just cut and repaste these posts? I mean there have been about 78 variations of it in the past 3 months...

Agree or disagree, the coaching staff we have will be in place until at least next year. We can constantly complain and beat the deadest of horses, or we can spend more time highlighting the positives (you know, since it IS recruiting season)

That, to me, was the point of the original poster

Edited by Eagle1855

And PMG, please provide the facts behind all of your rants. For instance, the Helwig/Dickey Sr. Kansas State Conspiracy. Under a year ago, you were touting the excellence and future of this program and the soon to be built stadium on 200 pristine acres.....at the convergence of the I35's..... I don't think the media guide changed that much from 2004 to 2005, or did you just decide to scan over it a second time looking for anything to support your theories?

Am I happy about last year? No. Am I a DD fan 100%? No.

But H-towngreen, do I need to repost (as you say)  "whatever I was talking about" so that some of you who have your noses buried up DD's, well, uh, (I'll say just say his mediocrity) so even a few of you can understand loud and clear?  (You don't live around some of those Houston area "air polluting" chemical plants down there, now do you)?

Who do we have on this present NT athletic staff that any other NCAA D1-A school (outside the SBC--insert a Norm Hitzhes giggle)  would ever be interested in hiring away from us? 

If anyone out there says none (because H-towngreen, I think you probably might say they're all bound for Big 12 schools; but if the rest of you say "none", then why the hell do we continue to keep them on the UNT payroll and honor bottom of the barrell performance with this  (seemedly at UNT only) phenomena called, uh,  extended contracts for under .500 career coaches? 

I guess its impossible to keep a thread positive on this board....jees... laugh.gif j/k..anyway I was talking to Charley Brown's pop the night of the banquet and he was quite upset that NT was not going to offer to his other son Brent. Having seen this young man play I find it hard to believe they would not want him because he is an incredible player. Brent flew up to Northern Colorado this weekend were there new Head Coach said he was the best Athlete he has seen and if he had sent him tape while still at Nebraska he would have offered to him while still there. They're upset because they did not send out tape to other schools because Brent wanted to play with his Brother Charley and they thought NT wanted him. Charley is upset also but he knows thats the way the ball bounces in recruiting. Brent did not commit to NC in hopes that NT will have a ship left after this comming weekend. I feel bad for the kid because he could have played for a dozen other D1-A schools if he would have had his coach send tape out.

And PMG, please provide the facts behind all of your rants.  For instance, the Helwig/Dickey Sr. Kansas State Conspiracy.  Under a year ago, you were touting the excellence and future of this program and the soon to be built stadium on 200 pristine acres.....at the convergence of the I35's.....  I don't think the media guide changed that much from 2004 to 2005, or did you just decide to scan over it a second time looking for anything to support your theories?

Am I happy about last year?  No.  Am I a DD fan 100%?  No.

JUST RESPONDING TO UNTLIFER...

The last 2 NT head football coaches were released from their contracts after they completed their last recruiting classes. Some of us can only hope, you know?

UNTLifer, yets its that kind of apathy (of why fight City Hall) that has our alma mater just hanging in there with subpar NCAA D1 talent on our payroll keeping such people on the UNT payroll who will be lucky to stay in NCAA D1 once they leave UNT. FWIW, how many NT athletic staffers the last 2 decades have left UNT for better situations? I can tell you for a fact that not that many have.

TO ANSWER ONE OF YOUR QUESTIONS: Many have recently changed their minds with DD (even when we were reluctant DD supporters as we gritted our teeth all those years with his condescending radio comments (to people just like H-towngreen, to people like you and to people like me, UNTLifer); and all those radio comments from the most arroagant NT employee who has done absolutely nothing within the realm of the real mainstream NCAA D1-A football competition that we have ever had on our payroll.

We have NT staffers who still cannot provide viable large group promotional programs (nor do they really give it the good ol' college try) that pulls over 15K per home game averages at Fouts (even during and after the bowl years). Also, they for damn sure don't take responsibility for any of their actions with any of that, either; yet------they pass the buck to somone else and some have even put the blame on all of us who actually do show up for the games (or those who did). Some of this same group who have failed miserably actually think they are the cock of the walk (so to speak) with nothing but veiled successes over a bunch of SBC nobodies to hang their hats on. It's almost laughable to see them bask in their low profile glory.

THIS WOULD CAUSE MOST TEXANS TO BOIL: Some of this group in the NT Athletic Dept. have insulted our alums and our fans with their non-customer service oriented attitudes, yet still, they wonder "where are all the fans" when they open up the turnstiles to our campus varsity sports venues on Game Days (or Game Nights).

Hey! And for damn sure don't get caught in the pre NT basketball game Boosters Club refreshments room (even as a guest of a large donor) because you will be called out "publicly" with a "what the hell you doing in here" type commments or "you don't give enough money to be in this room" type of attitude from one particular NT athletic dept. employee who should really think about reclaiming his own midwestern roots as far as most NT Exes are concerned. And then they wonder why 2,000 is now their top basketball crowd up there?

This is all such a no-brainer of what should happen with many of this group in the NT athletic dept. that our campus leaders are completely stumbling over the simplicity of what they need to do as NT leaders to end all this bottom of the barrell athletic administration and on the field performance (save our NT ladys soccer program).

Many others now have their reasons for changing their minds with a Darrell Dickey led football progarm, but for me, it was (basically) 3 losses this last season:

Losses that a school who had gone to 4 bowl games (even as SBC/Botttom10 champion) should not have had and those were against Florida Atlantic U (our 2'nd loss to a 6 year old athletic program witih one of those during our last, uh, "bowl" year with DD), our worst home loss in history versus the Tulsa Golden Hurricane and then the icing on the cake for me, a loss to Louisiana Tech of Ruston, LA.

All those losses should tell those who will just sit down and do some deep thinking that our recruiting the last 2-3 years has not been as advertised. It was more veiled and disguised results that this group at NT athletics depends on such apathy from all of us so they can continue their careers in Denton while those of us who have seen much better times throw our hands up in the air.

FWIW............this group has (effectively) taken the passion away from many of us with their smug, condescending attitudes along with their low athletic performances against low competition. OOC wins are merely memories of the distant past. I will not support this and won't make a big deal over that since I am only one person, but I really do want to be able to support a 4 decade passion at a higher profile than we will get with this group, but for that to happen, I know that means NT leaders will need to make some wholesale changes in the NT athletic department.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I guess its impossible to keep a thread positive on this board....jees... laugh.gif  j/k..anyway I was talking to Charley Brown's pop the night of the banquet and he was quite upset that NT was not going to offer to his other son Brent.  Having seen this young man play I find it hard to believe they would not want him because he is an incredible player.  Brent flew up to Northern Colorado this weekend were there new Head Coach said he was the best Athlete he has seen and if he had sent him tape while still at Nebraska he would have offered to him while still there.  They're upset because they did not send out tape to other schools because Brent wanted to play with his Brother Charley and they thought NT wanted him.  Charley is upset also but he knows thats the way the ball bounces in recruiting.  Brent did not commit to NC in hopes that NT will have a ship left after this comming weekend.  I feel bad for the kid because he could have played for a dozen other D1-A schools if he would have had his coach send tape out.

I can't believe that DD's not going to offer Brent.

I guess its impossible to keep a thread positive on this board....jees... laugh.gif  j/k..anyway I was talking to Charley Brown's pop the night of the banquet and he was quite upset that NT was not going to offer to his other son Brent.  Having seen this young man play I find it hard to believe they would not want him because he is an incredible player.  Brent flew up to Northern Colorado this weekend were there new Head Coach said he was the best Athlete he has seen and if he had sent him tape while still at Nebraska he would have offered to him while still there.  They're upset because they did not send out tape to other schools because Brent wanted to play with his Brother Charley and they thought NT wanted him.  Charley is upset also but he knows thats the way the ball bounces in recruiting.  Brent did not commit to NC in hopes that NT will have a ship left after this comming weekend.  I feel bad for the kid because he could have played for a dozen other D1-A schools if he would have had his coach send tape out.

Well, if Brent believed that North Texas was going to offer him a ship, then it must have been based on something other than wishful thinking. Has the coaching staff said things to Brent and/or his parents that...

A. they are now taking back?

B. denying that they said?

I believe that Brent is not the only one that thought that an offer was going to be made. dry.gif

I was talking to Charley Brown's pop the night of the banquet and he was quite upset that NT was not going to offer to his other son Brent.

WHAT! This kid is a stud. He has the size and speed that we need here. Looking at his stats everytime he touched the ball something good happened. Not to mention he was also one of the best D-ends in OK. last year. This one frustrates me, as I had him in the my top 5 recruiting wishlist. We need Brown in Green next year!

Any news on QB Carson Coffman?

Well, if Brent believed that North Texas was going to offer him a ship, then it must have been based on something other than wishful thinking.  Has the coaching staff said things to Brent and/or his parents that...

A. they are now taking back?

B. denying that they said?

I believe that Brent is not the only one that thought that an offer was going to be made. dry.gif

nope...nobody made any promises...he was just told after his Jr. year that he was one of the top propects and not to worry about it. Coach Atterberry was especially positive after the state track meet. Charley also believed Brent was going to get an offer from the positive comments he received. However, Coach Duke did inform Brent that they were not going to offer just before Turkey day but not to worry about it that it was not a done deal and alot of the kids they were after would either not be elgible because of grade or they would not get everybody they wanted and that would leave a spot open for him. He said they were full up at WR and that was part of the reason. His dad said that he would make a great Strong Saftey so why were they just looking at him for that position. It's a sad deal for Brent. sad.gif...hopefully they will have a ship left and get this kid in...he is a winner and thats what this school needs..kids that losing is not in their vocabulary

Edited by soonerdon

I don't see how we can be full up at any position considering last year we were playing with far less than the 85 ship limit. We need all the bodies we can get, especially if its a playmaker like Brent. WR or Saftey, it doesn't matter. This kid is 6-2 195 with legit 4.4 speed. With his brother already being here I don't see why not bring him in.

PMG, I didn't say I was happy with the Athletic Department or DD. In fact, you could probably search back a couple of months and find many of my posts to support that. I just don't understand continually posting the same thing over and over with some wild conspiracy claims without backing it up with solid facts.

I guess I decided to be quiet at this time of year to minimize all of the possible negative posts a recruit could read.

FWIW, how many NT athletic staffers the last 2 decades have left UNT for better situations? I can tell you for a fact that not that many have.

Recently? DeLoach went to UCLA, Wofford to Arizona, both BcS programs for instance.

and all those radio comments from the most arroagant NT employee who has done absolutely nothing within the realm of the real mainstream NCAA D1-A football competition that we have ever had on our payroll.

I didn't like his interviews either and was very vocal about it at the time, but, I must admit, that DD winning the SBC has garnered North Texas more publicity than it has had in many many years. Sure, the SBC is a group of young D1 programs, and I would like us to move up conference wise and win OOC games against the likes of La Tech and Tulsa, but you can't fault DD for the conference success he had. I just think that DD tries to use the Lou Holtz style of talking down his program and building up the competitors. The problem is that Holtz as at Notre Dame playing for National Championships and DD was at a program just realizing some success. DD does need to vastly improve the image he portrays in the media.

Hey! And for damn sure don't get caught in the pre NT basketball game Boosters Club refreshments room (even as a guest of a large donor) because you will be called out "publicly" with a "what the hell you doing in here" type commments or "you don't give enough money to be in this room" type of attitude from one particular NT athletic dept. employee who should really think about reclaiming his own midwestern roots as far as most NT Exes are concerned. And then they wonder why 2,000 is now their top basketball crowd up there?

Who??? If you give to the MGC at the level that grants you access, then they should be happy to have you. I have never heard of this happening from anyone else.

I don't see how we can be full up at any position considering last year we were playing with far less than the 85 ship limit. We need all the bodies we can get, especially if its a playmaker like Brent. WR or Saftey, it doesn't matter. This kid is 6-2 195 with legit 4.4 speed. With his brother already being here I don't see why not bring him in.

If he wants it bad enough he will try to walk on.

If he wants it bad enough he will try to walk on.

Thats easy for you to say...he's out of state so the tuition is very high and he would have to get student loans as his parents just get by...he will go to Northern colorado before he does that and hope he can transfer with a ship next year...then again he may be so kick@ss at NC that he'll transfer somewhere like a big 12 school and have big brother follow sad.gif

Thats easy for you to say...he's out of state so the tuition is very high and he would have to get student loans as his parents just get by...he will go to Northern colorado before he does that and hope he can transfer with a ship next year...then again he may be so kick@ss at NC that he'll transfer somewhere like a big 12 school and have big brother follow  sad.gif

2nd part wont happen, but this kid is a bonophied star, sad to waste talent like that, we need our Quinn-replacement after this season, B. Jackson is not it, and Stickler has average if that talent.

JUST RESPONDING TO UNTLIFER...

Then make it a PM.

Plumm, I agree with you more than I disagree with you, but if you are going to resond to just one person with an essay, then make it personal message.

That being said, I'm hesitant to engage in PM's with people from this board, 'cause I don't want another person wishing me bodily harm just b/c I disagree with them.

Back to the subject at hand...

It is nice to hear DD grow a set. I hope he keeps this swagger through the season.

Few seniors were in attendance? Isn't this banquet in many ways to honor those seniors? That's a little unsettling, but then again our two most heralded senior were busy in Hawaii. smile.gif

It sounds like it was a good time and I wish I could have been there. I'm glad Rick is such a good fan that the dialogue about tortilla-gate was light hearted.

Here's to better times ahead.

Now to sidetrack this thread... Anyone catch Mitch Maher interviewed at halftime of the men's game in Arkansas? I got sidetracked and could not listen.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!

PMG, I didn't say I was happy with the Athletic Department or DD.  In fact, you could probably search back a couple of months and find many of my posts to support that.  I just don't understand continually posting the same thing over and over with some wild conspiracy claims without backing it up with solid facts.

I guess I decided to be quiet at this time of year to minimize all of the possible negative posts a recruit could read.

Recently?  DeLoach went to UCLA, Wofford to Arizona, both BcS programs for instance.

I didn't like his interviews either and was very vocal about it at the time, but, I must admit, that DD winning the SBC has garnered North Texas more publicity than it has had in many many years.  Sure, the SBC is a group of young D1 programs, and I would like us to move up conference wise and win OOC games against the likes of La Tech and Tulsa, but you can't fault DD for the conference success he had.  I just think that DD tries to use the Lou Holtz style of talking down his program and building up the competitors.  The problem is that Holtz as at Notre Dame playing for National Championships and DD was at a program just realizing some success.  DD does need to vastly improve the image he portrays in the media.

Who???  If you give to the MGC at the level that grants you access, then they should be happy to have you.  I have never heard of this happening from anyone else.

First of all, it has been related to me that there have been a few thrown out of the Green Room before basketball games in recent years, but I was not one of them because I don't go to basketball games. It's college football that used to float my boat and make me proud to be an NT Ex. NOTE: Actually, 2 of those who were called out by an NT official (another Damn-Yankee NT employee who has somehow gotten himself misplaced in Texas) and publicly embarrassed those 2 in front of a group of "OUR" alums are actually posters on this board. One of them gives the MG Club probably about 10 X's more than anyone on this board (or at least he will have used to have given that kind of money of which after this academic year will most likely cease is my strong guess). If I revealed his name, he'd call his cousin Guido from Sicily to come pay a visit to me out here in Parker County, Texas.smile.gif NOTE II: FWIW, I have also had a run-in with this same self-serving and arrogant NT athletic employee in the past over something called Kids Korner. I don't know why this particular "non UNT" grad has seemed to have proclaimed himself as our 3'rd athletic director (behind Bobby Ray and Rick V, of course).

Secondly, I have said on many occasions that I don't necessarilly post some of this repetitive stuff for regular GMG.com readers. How many times have I suggested to some that they might not necessarily want to read some of this repetition? It's not intended for regular readers or posters. Yet the (so called) method to my madness with much of this is that it has been brought to my attention in the past that there are many who lurk GMG.com (from campus and beyond) almost daily and I just want some of those first time curiosity seekers to read some of this so they will understand that this NT Ex (as well as many others) are simply not going to be sucked into all this anymore; nor are we going to be sucked in by the very one thing that has kept this program small time for way too long now and operating at a low profile manner than anything else at UNT and that is..........A-P-A-T-H-Y.sad.gif

While many of our group have slumbered for the last few years, apathy at UNT has allowed many to continue on our payroll who should have been asked to hit the road a long time ago and a sure-fire hint of why that (perhaps) should have happened? How about the fact that schools (at any level) are hardly knocking those NT athletic employee's doors down to hire them away from our alma mater? You mentioned a couple of assistant coaches who (in deed) bettered themselves, but those are just 2 BB's in the bucket compared to the hundreds and hundreds of NT staffers many of us have seen come and go in past years.

DICKEY BALL? You see, we have people who simple don't like Dickey's style of football period and thats whether they like the man or not. Personally, I don't know him enough to like or dislike him, but one can now see results that those outside this message board, our campus or Denton hardly recognize as any semblance of success at the level we play.

Look at CUSA schools who have dissed us on their message boards for years saying we could not compete in their league? Well, for all except one year, haven't they been pretty well right on with their ascertation and perceptions of Mean Green football? After all, we have lost to the 4'th place CUSA teams in our last 2 bowl appearances.

RECRUITING? I think our "non listings" of any potential NT recruits in the Dallas Morning News "AREA" Top 100 says much about how Metroplexers feel about what we are doing in Denton. What else do we have to go by as our barometer as far as recruiting goes, folks?

RECRUITING II: How do we ever recruit skill position people at UNT when they look at our MG offense rankings the last 8 years (as compared to the other 119 NCAA D1-A schools)? How do we recruit skill people when they don't have a clue as to how their skills will be used at UNT? Tight ends? Just how many passes get thrown to a tight end at UNT?

RECRUITING III: Look what the last 2-3 classes culminated into this last football season (andafter all those bowl years to boot as the SBC/Bottom 10 bowl rep)? Some of you are being sucked into this upcoming recruiting class just as the last previous 2-3 classes. AND......who are the schools listed other than UNT who wants these recruits? Just because you see Texas Tech listed besides one of our potential recruits names usually means that recruit was interested in Texas Tech, but Texas Tech was really not interested in that recruit. Just watch out for more disguised, veiled, smoke and mirror-type success because you will be in for another huge "low profile-producing" disappointment in Mean Green Country with all this. TRULY................Didn't losses to FAU, Tulsa and La Tech tell you all what you really need to know with whats really going on with this football program?

HALF FULL/HALF EMPTY? Nominal attendance at Fouts for a football program that has gone to 4 bowls is also a pretty fair barometer of how even Denton area citizens are accepting this athletic program. 15K per game averages after 4 bowl games? Marketing 101 would tell us that people buy (tickets) from people they like.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen