Another lost recruit

H-towngreen

It seems that we lost out on another one. Another big one. As Houston(Worthing) DT Eric Smith 6-5 329 committed to Southern. This one is one that you see and makes you scratch your head. He had offers from Mizzou, NT, and Tulsa. There were 2 things that he was looking for in a school. He wanted to get out of the big city of Houston. And 2, he wanted to go to a good school for music to earn a degree in digital recording. Last I had heard don't we have an alright school of music at NT biggrin.gif Maybe there's a chance that he will show up for the banquet and have a change of heart.

Edited by H-towngreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Reading between the lines, Smith didn't qualify for a Division 1-A school. Southern is 1-AA so it doesn't have to adhere to the same rigid standards.

Southern is located in Baton Rouge which is still more than twice the size of Denton, so I don't think that getting out of the city applies here. The have no School or College of Music so that I would doubt that he can get a digital recording major at Southern. So much for two of his school selection criteria.

If he was that close on his SAT then he would never have gotten in Tulsa. Eric Smith would have been a big help at defensive tackle. I wish that he had been able to come here. But, life goes on. The best that we could hope for is that he makes his grades at Southern and transfers to get the degree that he wants. The problem is that he'd have to sit out a year and pay his own way. I'm not holding my breath.

"Southern is 1-AA so it doesn't have to adhere to the same rigid standards."

Like Harvard, Princeton, and Yale?

If im not mistaken the "IVY" League is a league of their own. Their not D-1, D-1A or D-1AA. I could be mistaken but i know that in football their league champion is not elegible to go to the playoffs. If you remember Harvard went undefeated a couple years back but had to settle for just 10-0 becuase the IVY league is not affilitated with any sub D-1 playoff system.

If im not mistaken the "IVY" League is a league of their own.  Their not D-1, D-1A or D-1AA.  I could be mistaken but i know that in football their league champion is not elegible to go to the playoffs.  If you remember Harvard went undefeated a couple years back but had to settle for just 10-0 becuase the IVY league is not affilitated with any sub D-1 playoff system.

Not quite, but close. The Ivy League chooses to not send their champion into the 1AA playoffs.

And, 1AA schools are allowed less ridged academic admissions, but individual schools can and often do have higher standards. This is also true in 1A. SMU puts higher academic standards on their recruits than is required and thus has a harder time recruiting.

Not quite, but close. The Ivy League chooses to not send their champion into the 1AA playoffs.

And, 1AA schools are allowed less ridged academic admissions, but individual schools can and often do have higher standards. This is also true in 1A. SMU puts higher academic standards on their recruits than is required and thus has a harder time recruiting.

Ditto Tulsa and Rice with academics and recruiting. Tulsa only has about 2,500 students, but has a good engineering school.