DMN Recruiting Chat

Eagle-96

What do we know about Trevor Vittatoe? Is he someone who could come in here and help?

We know that he'd rather go to Texas State than here.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...it.c87d722.html

Euless Trinity senior quarterback Trevor Vittatoe said he orally committed to Texas State while on an official visit Sunday, the one-year anniversary of his mother's death.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Euless Trinity senior quarterback Trevor Vittatoe said he orally committed to Texas State while on an official visit Sunday, the one-year anniversary of his mother's death.

Out of 16 commitments, we got ONE??!! ONE commitment?? And it's for an "athlete" who's listed as 5'8", 162 lbs.

Is DD recruiting a new Diet Coke Boy?

I suppose you're talking about Tyson Holligan.  I was actually down at a few Newman Smith games this last season, taking a look at a few prospects that showed up at our camp this past summer.

On paper, Holligan looks superb.  He is huge, but I personally felt like 6'3 might have been a little generous.  He is probably legitimately close to 330, but that's mostly bulk.

The knock on him I saw when watching him is his conditioning.  Towards the end of the game, he could hardly be in for succesive plays without needing a breather.  He and linemate Jesse Funk seemed to rotate out series.  While Funk routinely played both sides of the ball and showed terrific conditioning, Holligan wore down quickly and was sucking wind for the entire second half.

Although he is strong, I'd have to say that he is probably high school strong, and will definitely suffer at the next level if he doesn't improve his strength.

He has pretty well maxed out his frame right now, and the only way he's going to be a worthwhile lineman is with a LOT of conditioning and a LOT of strength training, to replace the bulk with muscle.  Buyer beware.

I think they look at the guys with the most talent not cecessarily weight alone. I believe alot of times they think a guy may be able to add 25-30 pounds by looking at their frame. The problem is the last five years I can only think of a handful of players adding noticeable weight. Brewster and Awason come to mind. Brewster was still highly undersized even with the added weight. He made up for that with the leverage he played with.

We know ????? Not unless he received an offer or interest & I don't see anything that indicates that.

We know ????? Not unless he received an offer or interest & I don't see anything that indicates that.

Based on this DMN chat at the beginning of the thread:

Drew: How much does the new athletic center at North Texas help in the recruiting process? What players do you know of that North Texas is in on, and what are the chances?

Todd Wills: I'm sure it's a big plus. I haven't talked in North Texas coaches about it, but nice facilities are usually a big bonus in the recruiting game. North Texas has a lot of names out there. It just missed on Denton LB Anthony Sowe, who committed to SMU last weekend. But how about this name -- Euless Trinity QB Trevor Vittatoe. Word is he wants to play at North Texas and he did just lead his team to a state title.

Maybe we are too stacked for him at QB...

WILLS recruiting chat from 1/17

A lot of tU drivel, but no NT questions.

moderator: Todd Wills is ready to take your recruiting questions. He'll be with us for 45 minutes, perhaps longer. We'll start with the e-mail questions first.

Shades: The Austin American-Statesman reported, in the wake of UT's Rose Bowl victory, that two HS defensive backs from California are considering the Horns. Is there anything new on that, or any other hot recruiting news on UT?

Todd Wills: Afternoon. Hope everyone is having a good lunch today. Let's get started, we have a bunch of UT questions, so any not-UT fan out there, please send your questions. It has been reported that Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. DB Devin Ross had gotten some interest from Texas after the Rose Bowl, but Ross told Rivals.com today that his decision has been made and it will be between Oregon and Arizona. He did say that his father was dealing with Texas. The hottest news going as far as Texas is concerned is a renewed interest in Klein Collins speedster Michael Goodson. I thought he was the best RB on the West squad at the All-American Bowl. Goodson could visit Texas this weekend. A Big 12 source I consider very reliable told me this morning that he thinks Goodson will end up at UT. We'll see.

Shades: Will the Horns' national championship help them recruit more big-time prospects outside Texas? With so many quality recruits in state, it must be difficult deciding how much time and energy to devote out of state.

Todd Wills: Well, I'm sure Texas will start looking and takin a few more big-time prospects from out-of-state, but let's face it, the Longhorns proved in the Rose Bowl that they can win a national championship with -- what was it? -- 21 starters from Texas (only OL Austin Sendlein was not from Texas). And remember, They've tried for big-time out-of-state recruits...LenDale White, Ryan Perrilleax, etc...so it's not like Mack Brown wasn't giving it his best shot. I would think Texas has an even better chance and plucking the one or two national recruits it goes after.

moderator: Baylor seems to be recruiting mainly in DFW. Who are some sleepers that are not rated highly, but are very good players like Reid Prince? (via e-mail)

Todd Wills: I suppose the list would probably start with Corsicana running back Jay Finley and my personal favorite, because I'm a big fan of his father, Arlington defensive back Dominique Criss. One to really watch for is Plano West receiver Ben Randle. He really jumped out at me when I saw him play against Plano this year. Great size, great hands. Of the receivers I saw this season, my rankings would be Lakeview's Terrell Turner (Arizona), Carroll's McKay Jacobson (BYU) and then Randle and Plano's Greg Rideaux and Alex Lott.

moderator: Did winning the national championship suddenly attract three top 100 recruits? The Austin paper reported that two DBs from California might visit the UT campus, while a different online source rumors that RB Micheal Goodson is flirting with the Horns. Do you know anything more about this? Also, should we expect another Perriloux-esque last-minute snub? Do you have any reason to believe it will happen again with one of top UT recruits? (via e-mail) -Lucas

Todd Wills: Lucas -- You'll see I dealt with the first part of your question earlier. I would say of the three, Goodson is the best possibility at this point. As for a-Perrilloux-like snub, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see anyone on the Horns' list that is a possible snub. My guess is Perrilloux was an unusual case. BTW, wonder how life is on the LSU depth chart behind JeMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn? Wonder if Mr. Perrilloux regrets not sticking it out with Texas.

moderator: Will UT's championship affect this year's recruiting class at all? I wonder if Mack is regretting a couple of early commitments since he could probably steal a couple of high profile signings if he had not already committed to 25. What five star recruits should we be hoping for next year? Chad (via e-mail)

Todd Wills: Chad -- A national title can only help, but this year, probably not. And looking at the Texas class right now, I can't imagine Mack Brown having any regrets at all. And you have to believe Texas will find a way to get someone like Michael Goodson or Devin Ross signed if needed. You'd have to say right now of the juniors the one Texas will really go after his Texarkana Texas High quarterback Ryan Mallet. He will be the No. 1 or 2 quarterback in the nation. You'd think Texas really needs him. Also Lincoln linebacker Richetti Jones, who will likely be SportsDay's top area recruit for 2007, is very interested in the Longhorns.

moderator: Will Texas A&M be able to compete with Texas and Oklahoma in recruiting, now, since both have won national championships recently? Will Texas A&M be able to recruit enough quality linebackers in the near future?

Todd Wills: Wow. The $64 million question. Obviously, just taking the Malcolm Williams' situation, it's going to be really difficult. Williams told me point blank that he switched his commitment from A&M to OU this weekend because he believes he can win a national title with the Sooners. The Aggies, even though he said he thinks they can win, aren't as close. As for linebackers, the Aggies do have Haltom's Anthony Lewis and are trying for Skyline's Michael Morgan. Morgan has a key visit to Florida State this weekend. He's going alone, so if I'm an Aggie fan, I'm hoping he gets homesick. A&M always has a chance. It will just take some hard work to catch up to UT and OU.

moderator: I was wondering how is the recruiting process is going for Baylor so far? Are there any guys under the radar that might be coming to Baylor? Baylor looks like that they might make a run for a bowl game this upcoming year. Your thoughts?

Todd Wills: Baylor's class looks promising. The Bears' coaching staff has to be excited about players like Jay Finley, Dominique Prince, Ben Randle and Highland Park's Reid Prince. As for "under the radar," there could be a possiblility that Carter quarterback Michael Crabtree winds up in Waco. I've been impressed by Baylor's progress under Guy Morriss. Still don't get why he didn't try to score at the end of regulation against A&M with Baylor on the verge of an upset, but I guess we can let that slide. But why go to overtime, coach? Why?

moderator: -Whatever ever happened to DeMarco Murray from Vegas? I thought we were in pretty good for him. -What is the recruiting status of Michael Crabtree (ATH), Daniel Johnson (DB), Ian Symonette (OL)?

Todd Wills: OK, I'm guessing this is an OU fan. Murray is committed to Oklahoma. He's going to be a Sooner. And he looks like he's going to be a really good one. Crabtree isn't considering OU anymore. He's down to Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa and Baylor. Symonette is probably Miami, Fla. bound. As for Johnson, it's looking like Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, or Texas Tech.

moderator: Todd will be with us for 15 more minutes or so. Keep the questions coming.

moderator: Hindsight is always 20/20, but with Vince Young going pro and Matt Flynn's performance in the Peach Bowl, do you think Ryan Perriloux is regretting his last minute commitment change to L.S.U? He looks at best the 3rd string QB at L.S.U., whereas he would most likely be the #1 at Texas given Young's decision.

Todd Wills: I've never talked to Ryan Perrilloux in my life, but you would have to believe there is some regret there. When's he going to get on the field at LSU? Russell and Flynn both have two more years with the Bayou Bengals. At Texas, Perrilloux would be competing against Colt McCoy, Jevan Snead and Sherrod Harris. Nothing against the UT trio, but you would have to like his chances in Austin.

moderator: It seems that the Mitch Mustain fever as started up again with the seemingly odd absence of Texas . . . Have we stopped pursuing him and are we content with the two guys we have coming in? I’ve seen Mustain perform and he’s the real thing. David Mills, Texan in AR (via e-mail)

Todd Wills: Mustain re-committed to Arkansas last night. He's in the Razorbacks' fold again. I'm sure Texas is happy with Jevan Snead and Sherrod Harris. Both are very talented players. And I know it was just an all-star game, But Snead looked like the better player vs. Mustain.

SA123: What is the latest with the defensive backs Mouton and Ross out of CA. Saw an article indicating interest in the Horns.

Todd Wills: I'd say both are long shots at this point.

moderator: do u think anthony norice will have success as a qb at baylor

Todd Wills: I know Baylor has recruited Norice as a wide receiver, but it looks like he'll get his shot at quarterback. I didn't see Anthony play this season. But he was told he'll get a shot at the starting job, so we'll see.

moderator: Todd is going to take two more questions. Thanks for participating today.

Hook'em: Do you think Texas will end up in the top 3?

Todd Wills: Top 3 recruiting classes in the nation? I would say yes. It looks like it will be Florida and Texas battling it out for No. 1 and we'll see who slides in at No. 3. Maybe Notre Dame or OU???

Aggie69: What does the Williams loss to OU do to the A&M recruiting picture?

Todd Wills: Well, losing Malcolm Williams certainly hurts. He's an outstanding football player. The moment that stands out for me about Malcolm is when he kept Plano's Justin Jordan from getting to the corner of the end zone in the SGP-Plano playoff game. I saw Plano 11 times this season and no one, and I mean no one, came close to keeping Jordan from getting to the pylon. Williams did.

moderator: How is TCU doing in recruiting?

Todd Wills: TCU always recruits well. That's why the Horned Frogs put up 11-1 seasons. Getting Euless Trinity's Henry Niutei and South Garland's Alex Ibiloye are just the latest examples of how well TCU recruits its own backyard.

Jerry: Hey Todd, here with my weekly Texas Tech question.

EJ Shankle (Lufkin HS) is listed as a verbal to Tech, but I read that he took a visit to Texas A&M this weekend. Has he switched to A&M or is he still a solid verbal to Tech?

Todd Wills: Shankle switched his commitment to A&M, but follow this one closely. He's a guy who seems to switch at every turn. I'd pay attention to where his teammate Leonard Hewitt ends up.

moderator: Thanks for participating. If you have more questions for Todd, e-mail him at twills@dallasnews.com.