2 Extra BCS Teams Next Year

LongJim

In case some missed this, it's interesting, and encouraging from a MG standpoint.

FROM FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM:

Starting next season, Fox Sports will televise the Fiesta, Sugar and Orange bowls and ABC will continue to televise the Rose Bowl. Fox has the sponsorship and naming rights to the BCS title game, which currently is being called “The BCS National Championship.”

Other new aspects of the BCS starting next season:

There will be 10 BCS teams, up from eight. Automatic bids go to the champions of the six BCS conferences — Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, ACC, SEC and Pac-10.

One conference champion from the non-BCS conferences — MWC, WAC, C-USA, MAC and Sun Belt — will automatically qualify for a BCS bowl in two ways: (1) finish in the top 12 of the final BCS standings; (2) finish in the top 16 of the BCS standings and ranked higher than the champion of one BCS conference.

If next year’s format had been in place this season, TCU would have earned a BCS berth.

Any of the 10 BCS spots not filled by conference champions will go to at-large teams.

Notre Dame is guaranteed a BCS bowl bid if it finishes No. 8 or higher in the final BCS standings.

I doubt even a 12-0 UNT would qualify for a BCS Bowl given our poor strength-of-schedule within the SBC.  The BCS still favors BCS schools and always will.  A playoff is the only way to determine a true champion.

If we were 12-0 in 2006 I'm betting we'd easily get a BCS Bowl. Here's hoping for Vince Young wanting to play in his hometown next season!

Tulsa is the Champion of the conference we hope to get into! They might be a top 20 team next year.

But if we beat Texas in week 1, then we certainly would get a number of votes.

But "if we beat Texas" is akin to saying "if I win the lottery" - it's not impossible, but very improbable. Still, their entire Jr and Sr classes could all go to the NFL, then the rest of the team could have bad grades, and ...

OU showed no improvement at all from start to finish this year - I'm sure they'll suck for years and not be able to compete with Tulsa.

I don't know what OU you are referring to, but the University of Oklahoma made dramatic improvements on the offensive side of the ball during the course of the year; in their O-line and at the Qb position.

Bomar is figuring it out; and so is their offensive line.

But they aren't on our 2006 schedule, so why's it matter?

Even IF we swept OOC and Conference, in ANY year, what leads anyone on this board to think that the BcS powers that be would let someone from the WAC or SBC in A BcS Bowl? They can say that all they want, but until I see it happen, its just lip service to keep the anti-trust lawsuits at bay.