Next up...

ipEAGLE

Vince will be in the league.

We have our own version of Mike Vick, now. Be very scared vomit orange fans!

Woodrow for  Heisman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  biggrin.gif

If he's back, I think we should let Joey Byerly start. At 6'4", 260 lbs, he's the most durable QB we could possibly hope for and, against a defense like Texas, that is very important.

Whether or not he actually wins the starting QB spot is irrelevant, he'll give us the best chance of a respectable game against UT because he can take a hit.

If he's back, I think we should let Joey Byerly start.  At 6'4", 260 lbs, he's the most durable QB we could possibly hope for and, against a defense like Texas, that is very important.

Whether or not he actually wins the starting QB spot is irrelevant, he'll give us the best chance of a respectable game against UT because he can take a hit.

Its a good punishment for poor grades. Maybe that can become our new compliance aid.

If he's back, I think we should let Joey Byerly start.  At 6'4", 260 lbs, he's the most durable QB we could possibly hope for and, against a defense like Texas, that is very important.

Um, I dont think we should pick a QB based on how he can take a hit. I think I would rather have a guy who can throw the ball with some accuracy

The odds of FSW taking it are good.

The results from showing the game are AWFUL. I don't really see how any of you think it's good that we play the national champs next year from a publicity standpoint. Frankly, we might as well not get publicity as I can tell you right now, that anything about NT in the broadcast will either be condescending or just plain mean. FSW is the lapdog of the BigXII, we all know that for a fact.

We'll hear:

1.) Anti-SBC talk. It's bad enough our league gets slapped around, but now we have idiot officials who are too slow to ref "real football".

2.) How the 2006 team went 2-9 last fall and how the 8-4 team that went 77 or something at the last NT/UT meeting was far better than the team going against UT now.

3.) That the UNT hype this fall was all for nothing.

4.) And probably some snide-a$$ remark about how the SBC teams should possibly go back to I-AA.

That sounds mean, but it's FSW. The BigXII practically owns them. Heck, any media outlet that carries or mentions the game will undoubtedly mention how the 2004 Longhorns were far better than our team back then, and that the UT team now is FAR better than that Longhorn team, etc. etc.

I'm really, really hoping for an upset game. I'm hoping that DD has his lucid moments in coaching that game, and coach to win, not to avoid injuries or whatever. If that game gets TV time and any sort of media attention, we'll be laughed at by the nation unless the media outlets downplay NT being there, or UNLESS WE WIN.

Anything else short of a stellar game is going to make our school a joke of D1 football.

The odds of FSW taking it are good.

The results from showing the game are AWFUL. I don't really see how any of you think it's good that we play the national champs next year from a publicity standpoint. Frankly, we might as well not get publicity as I can tell you right now, that anything about NT in the broadcast will either be condescending or just plain mean. FSW is the lapdog of the BigXII, we all know that for a fact.

We'll hear:

1.) Anti-SBC talk. It's bad enough our league gets slapped around, but now we have idiot officials who are too slow to ref "real football".

2.) How the 2006 team went 2-9 last fall and how the 8-4 team that went 77 or something at the last NT/UT meeting was far better than the team going against UT now.

3.) That the UNT hype this fall was all for nothing.

4.) And probably some snide-a$$ remark about how the SBC teams should possibly go back to I-AA.

That sounds mean, but it's FSW. The BigXII practically owns them. Heck, any media outlet that carries or mentions the game will undoubtedly mention how the 2004 Longhorns were far better than our team back then, and that the UT team now is FAR better than that Longhorn team, etc. etc.

I'm really, really hoping for an upset game. I'm hoping that DD has his lucid moments in coaching that game, and coach to win, not to avoid injuries or whatever. If that game gets TV time and any sort of media attention, we'll be laughed at by the nation unless the media outlets downplay NT being there, or UNLESS WE WIN.

Anything else short of a stellar game is going to make our school a joke of D1 football.

I think you waaaaaaaaay overrate how much anyone in the media will care about it. Think of how ULLAF, Indiana St. and many others got blown out early on in the season by big schools. People look, nod, maybe chuckle or make a joke, and move on.

Don't stress, we'll have a "roll over" game plan and it will be over quickly - but painfully. It may be the closest we get to a title game for decades, so we got that going for us....

I really am, but you should read how people are swearing that game is going bring publicity and press for our team. Only if its carried on FSW, and if it does, it'll be a really mean broadcast. I'm really hoping it isnt televised unless NT pulls a big upset.

You are way over sensitive, our first game would be a pounding no matter what with DD at the wheel. This game gives us an opportunity to get our name out there, no one in the general public expects us to make a game of it. And now when we get killed its at least it is by the defending National Champion which is much better than getting embarrassed at home by Tulsa for the worst home lose in history.

MeanGreenDork... from what I remember in 2003 we opened up with #1 OU and the game was broadcasted on Fox Sports (nationwide).

They praised our program and how we are making strides to get were we want to be.

Just imagine them showing a video of our new practice fields/athletic complex and the rendering of our 'new' stadium.

MeanGreenDork... from what I remember in 2003 we opened up with #1 OU and the game was broadcasted on Fox Sports (nationwide).

They praised our program and how we are making strides to get were we want to be.

Just imagine them showing a video of our new practice fields/athletic complex and the rendering of our 'new' stadium.

In 2003 we won the New Orleans bowl and had gone 9-3 the previous season. This time we ... uh ... beat Middle Tennessee again ... and barely won against FIU.

Do you honestly think FSN is gonna show one second of our stadium and facilities? laugh.gif FSN-SW == Big 12.

If our Athletic Dept does their job they will show something.

JaMario is also back and if he is healthy... watch out. I'm very excited about this game.

Another subject: I know Bylery failed... but honestly he is the only QB we have that I would even remotely feel good about being on the field with Texas. Byerly is a Big12 calibur athlete.

Say what you will about him failing... but Byerly is the best we have at the QB position unless Woody Wilson turns out to be a world beater.

Edited by ipEAGLE

If our Athletic Dept does their job they will show something.

JaMario is also back and if he is healthy... watch out.  I'm very excited about this game.

Another subject:  I know Bylery failed... but honestly he is the only QB we have that I would even remotely feel good about being on the field with Texas.  Byerly is a Big12 calibur athlete.

Say what you will about him failing... but Byerly is the best we have at the QB position unless Woody Wilson turns out to be a world beater.

What play has Byerly made that would make you say this?

IP eagle:

Vs. #1 OU:

-We were 9-3 that year or the year before.

-OU was nowhere as good as UT is now.

-The following year, we also had a good season.

Vs. #1 UT:

-We were 2-9 last year.

-UT is better, by far and in comparison to OU, it actually earned and really proved it deserved the NCAA championship title.

-We still have questions at key positions, especially at QB and on both Lines.

Him running OVER our defensive lineman and linebackers in practice is a start.

How can you go wrong with someone who is 6'4 260 and throws better than Meager.

Please review the discussions on another thread about Vince Young being able to consistently run over NFL defenses.

I watched Byerly in the spring of 05 and saw him run over a few defensive players. I also saw him get a mild concussion during at least one practice, and heard about him getting another one at another practice. Now, if the 05 North Texas defense gives you a mild concussion, then imagine what would happen if you try run over the Texas defense.

I think that a nationally broadcast game would give us great publicity if we play tough and smart.

It is also a good opportunity for us to show that our fan base is both growing and loyal. For that game we need to sell out our allotment of tickets and EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHOW UP WEARING GREEN. And I mean ALL GREEN, not some shirt that has a green stripe on it.

The Green Bridage needs to be VERY LOUD and at their musical best, and the dancers need to have their most "noticable" outfits on.

Believe it or not, it's the fan base and their lack of spirit that has the bad reputaion. Moreso than the football team.

THAT is what we on this board REALLY have control over.

Edited by SilverEagle

You are way over sensitive, our first game would be a pounding no matter what with DD at the wheel. This game gives us an opportunity to get our name out there, no one in the general public expects us to make a game of it. And now when we get killed its  at least it is by the defending National Champion which is much better than getting embarrassed at home by Tulsa for the worst home lose in history.

Man, that Tulsa game...........hmmm, still in mend mode over that one (and LTU, of course).

On the upside, it sure can't hurt any non-BCS school's recruiting when you have the current NCAA FB NC on your schedule no matter how that (OOC) game will be approached from our coach's standpoint.

Write off the Longhorns, put the check in the bank and look forward to what SMU will be dishing out to us the next week after we play UT in a Metroplex matchup. }:>(

Folks, when you have one program (UT) that has about a $60 million athletic budget versus our (approx. $14 million?), you are going to see some tremendous talent differentials. Like one of you once posted, it will be our All District recruits versus their Parade All American or 1'st team Texas All State football players.

The part of all this that bothers me much more than losing a game to a Top 10 football program is how the gap between the BCS and non-BCS is getting even wider as the days goes by. Check out your state top 100 lists for verification of that.

All this another reason UNT must do things to keep our hands in play at the NCAA D1-A table. We are famous for being "snail-like" slow on doing all the necessary things that could better our football program (with most of our attempts to get in better conferences such as CUSA as a prime example of that--among others that have been thoroughly discussed recently on this forum).

Still, our most essential need is to find some way to build a new major college football stadium that we will also be able to put a solid and bonafide Top 50 NCAA D1-A football program in once finished. I fear (and have since its beginnings) that the UNT-Dallas campus and their local "DFW donor" financial needs with such DFW donations that may have (ordinarily) found their way to our main campus in Denton with its many needs (both academic and athletic). So, this may be a problem with our meeting that 2009 time-table to finish a new FB stadium at UNT; but hopefully, that will not be the case and something is in the works.

We will also have to have NT leadership who (themselves) go to the next level with all this by going even further outside the usual box at UNT while making key decisions that will give our alma mater a realistic chance to become (at least) a Top 50 NCAA football program.

Ex NT head football coach Jerry Moore was absolutely right on when he said he didn't want Appalachian State to even think of going to NCAA D1-A unless its leaders dedicate themselves to provide the facilities and budget to (at least) get in the Top 80 of the other 117 or 119 official members of NCAA D1-A. (Anyone know if its 117 or 119 because I've heard both, but ABC TV's Keith Jackson said 117 the other night on the UT/USC telecast0.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen