Interesting concept from Rice

NTEagle08

WOW! That is a fascinating idea, but with huge challenges

First, I don't see how you can do a baseball game with just 3 cameras. You need one in the outfield, just past 2nd base and just past 1st base. That means never have a picture of your announcers, nor a picture of the pitcher facing the hitter. And don't even think about a replay tape deck!

Second, the lens on cameras for baseball games need incredible zoom lens. It is not uncommon for the LEN to cost $35K, not counting the camera, or the view finder, or the tripod, or the cabling. Yet Rice is using an entire system that costs $20K. People who build remote trucks spend more than that on the cables!

Still, the University will completely control the broadcast and thus most of the ads. I'm sure the cable company is getting some of the ads in exchange for giving them the channel, but most of the add will be theirs. And after they tape a game, they can re-run it over and over for a week or so.

It will be interesting to see their viewer numbers. I don't think they'd get many casual fans because of the lower quality of the broadcast, but a Rice alum who can't get to the game can watch it - or buy the DVD for $10. Sound like a great way to tie back in their fans to what's going on.

We could never undertake such an experiment to have an actual North Texas Television channel. I mean, its not like we have a good RTVF dept ph34r.gif Last time I saw NTTV, they were running a repeat of some little hippes sitting in a circle, eating, whining about the start of the Iraq War. That was earlier this year.

Last time I saw NTTV, they were running a repeat of some little hippes sitting in a circle, eating, whining about the start of the Iraq War.

Sure you weren't watching MSNBC? wink.gif

It would be nearly impossible to pull off sports broadcasts on a regular basis with student volunteers. Unless you are an announcer, you really can't work the game and watch it at the same time, so you need volunteers who don't want to watch. Then, the need to be willing to give up prime relaxation time as that is games tend to happen.

The First Methodist Church of Dallas has around 50 people who have volunteered to help with their Sunday TV recording. They have 3 cameras and it takes 9 to 10 to do the broadcast. They have a hard time some weeks finding enough people from their pool - and that's once a week on Sundays!

Last time I saw NTTV, they were running a repeat of some little hippes sitting in a circle, eating, whining about the start of the Iraq War.  That was earlier this year.

You're a conservative, we get it already. I'm sure there are boards on the RNC website if you wish to discuss politics.

Edited by Coffee and TV