much more school spirit at

gamebreaker

Our games remind me of a 3A high school football game. Ive been watching TSU the past couple of weeks and the atmosphere there is just unbelievable. We never come close to that. people are excited about texas state football, unlike here at NT. im sure they would have kicked our butt this year and im sure they are getting some of our recruits as well.

lets see, would you rather play in front of 30K+ every game and compete for a national championship or play in the sun belt "door-mat" conference and get creamed by anyone with a pulse??? not a tough decision.

lets drop to 1AA and compete again! if not, we will always be a door-mat...plain and simple

Our games remind me of a 3A high school football game. Ive been watching TSU the past couple of weeks and the atmosphere there is just unbelievable. We never come close to that. people are excited about texas state football, unlike here at NT. im sure they would have kicked our butt this year and im sure they are getting some of our recruits as well.

lets see, would you rather play in front of 30K+ every game and compete for a national championship or play in the sun belt "door-mat" conference and get creamed by anyone with a pulse??? not a tough decision.

lets drop to 1AA and compete again! if not, we will always be a door-mat...plain and simple

30K ? You obviously are watching the wrong game. Texas State's stadium only seats ~14,000 (my high shcool's stadium is larger).

We had 19,000+ show up to see a 2-6 home team in October. Think TSU could do that? Were you at the NMSU game a couple years ago at Fouts to clinch the Conference title? That was atmosphere!

NEVER back to 1-AA! mad.gif

30K ?  You obviously are watching the wrong game.   Texas State's stadium only seats ~14,000 (my high shcool's stadium is larger).  

We had 19,000+ show up to see a 2-6 home team in October.   Think TSU could do that?   Were you at the NMSU game a couple years ago at Fouts to clinch the Conference title?   That was atmosphere! 

NEVER back to 1-AA!   mad.gif

Tap the brakes on I-AA - but their crowd noise puts ours to shame. They must have killed off the anti-standing faction we have kept around for so long.

Edited by Michael Scott

Tap the brakes on I-AA - but their crowd noise puts ours to shame. They must have killed off the anti-standing faction we have kept around for so long.

Strange comment about crowd noise. We went 2-9 and we lost every home game this past season. They are in the playoffs. I can see why they would want to be louder than we would. huh.gif

By the way, what is this playoffs thing they speak of and how does it work? You mean you don't have to be in a Bowl Championship Series doohickey to be the best team in the nation? blink.gif

Strange comment about crowd noise.  We went 2-9 and we lost every home game this past season.  They are in the playoffs.  I can see why they would want to be louder than we would.  huh.gif

By the way, what is this playoffs thing they speak of and how does it work?  You mean you don't have to be in a Bowl Championship Series doohickey to be the best team in the nation? blink.gif

I was referring to my whole experience of games - including bowls. I have never been to a bowl game without being asked to sit down so someone can see or to quiet down.

You guys are right though, NMSU and Baylor were great- I just cannot wait until they are not the exceptions but the rule.

1-AA come on man!!!!!!!!

OK, it was a hard year to be a NT fan, and TSU would have beaten us. But let's not get crazy.

In a good game, our crowd noise is pretty good considering the acoustics of the stadium. TSU has steep bleachers with upper deck(s). Their game looked great on TV.

Our average attendance in a 2-9 season wouldn't have FIT in their little stadium.

They had a good year, we had a bad year. That's all there is to it.

Gamebreaker...You have evidently never attended a west Texas high school Class 3-A football game. You may never see as much school spirit in your life as was exhibited by the entire city when my Class AAA high school team made the playoffs. Every downtown store closed at 3:00 PM so the store owners could travel to the out of town games.

so f'ing transfer there already. Jesus some of you need to detach your lips from a certain part of TSU's anatomy, and I don't mean their rear ends.

Absolutely, so SWT (excuse me TSU) can put 15,000 in the stands during a playoff run. Most of the time (and I have attended several), they are lucky to put 7-8 k in the stands and most of them leave by the 3rd quarter with little yelling. We've had noisy crowds at our big games and the fans have been pretty boisterous at our bowl games.

As for Scotties opinion on the other board that TSU is getting more publicity than North Texas got for its bowl games. That's absurd. He obviously doesn't read many newspapers. Both the Houston and Galveston newspapers ran big stories on North Texas bowl games, including photographs and we got big kudos from all over after the Cincinnati win. Also, San Antonio, Corpus, and Austin papers covered our bowl games well and normally we don't get much print in any of these.

Anybody who thinks 1-AA is great should transfer to one of those outposts of the athletic world. We've been 1-AA and it sucked big time.

Anyone arguing for I-AA is a moron. Yes TSU would beat us this year, odds are they wouldn't next year.

The point of my posts were to put a watch on them and show that we need to act fast. They are building attendance (they are live 4-5K) behind us and either have the same or more donors as us unless something drastic happened after this season. They are doing it right and could be another in a line of I-AA schools that were behind or with us to pass us by. Also, they have connected to the entire community and the student base in a way we never seemed to pull off. They raised 500K in new donations during football season and seem to be slowly building the program. They may not have as nice a stadium yet, but their in zone complex is very nice and they are currently in the middle of campaigns for a new baseball stadium and ultimately football.

The questions are is this a fluke season or the beginning of something on the field for them. I did not mean to facilitate a Texas State love fest and that it turned into some kind of Bobcat cheerleading camp kind of sucks (the I-AA comment still shocks me), but to sit there and think another school cannot pass us by is stupid. Its happened all the time for 10 years.

There is no reason they should pass us unless we continue to crap up the field like this year, lose OOC games, miss on big donors, and not grow the MGC base. Of course, there's no reason schools like FAU, Boise St., Marshall, UCF, Tulsa, La Tech, etc. should have ever passed us either.

GMG

(This is my last post on the topic unless anyone wants to call me out or just PM me - I never imagined TSU getting 3 threads here. Although the Longhorns, Aggies, etc. are always on here once or twice a day....sensitive topic maybe?)

I came to UNT long after it became IA and got my degrees from BCS schools so I honestly do not know the answer to this question: what was horrible about being IAA? Was support and interest really low or was it the quality of play or something else? I have read people talk about being IAA like it was a form of pergatory for UNT, but I have never known why. Some schools (like Montana) seem to have done well as a IAA and maintained fan support, but perhaps they are an exeption.

Tx State won as many playoff games as North Texas State won the entire 2005 season.  Hard to figure why some still can't get the name right.

You're right. Tx State win ZERO playoff games and North Texas State won ZERO games the entire 2005 season.

Texas State University-San Marcos won 2 1-AA playoff games, while the University of North Texas went 2-9 in Division 1-A football.

I came to UNT long after it became IA and got my degrees from BCS schools so I honestly do not know the answer to this question:  what was horrible about being IAA?  Was support and interest really low or was it the quality of play or something else?  I have read people talk about being IAA like it was a form of pergatory for UNT, but I have never known why.  Some schools (like Montana) seem to have done well as a IAA and maintained fan support, but perhaps they are an exeption.

For myself, I watched NT when we were on the brink of joining the Southwest Conference (mid-late 70's), then to be demoted to 1-AA was a major setback in the early 80's. And it was simply because paperwork didn't get filed in time to the NCAA (yes, we met the qualifications for 1-A but the AD back then, Andy Everest?, misplaced the forms to keep us in 1-A).

1-AA was/is a glorified D-II league; the players, rosters, stadiums, and fan support were all smaller. Media bypassed us except when we played the 1-A schools or made the top of the 1-AA polls or playoffs. Outside of Montana (stuck in 1-AA because of Montana St.) and maybe Ga. Southern, the best 1-AA schools like Boise and Marshall all wanted to go 1-A.

Go see a SFA or Sam Houston game sometime, not bad football but you'll see a big difference in quality and game atmosphere from a USM or Memphis type program. NT used to be in a conference with the Tulsas, Cincys, Louisvilles, and Memphis's (early 70's) and we're still trying to recover back to that level from our drop to 1-AA. dry.gif

For myself, I watched NT when we were on the brink of joining the Southwest Conference (mid-late 70's), then to be demoted to 1-AA was a major setback in the early 80's.  And it was simply because paperwork didn't get filed in time to the NCAA (yes, we met the qualifications for 1-A but the AD back then, Andy Everest?, misplaced the forms to keep us in 1-A).

1-AA was/is a glorified D-II league; the players, rosters, stadiums, and fan support were all smaller.  Media bypassed us except when we played the 1-A schools or made the top of the 1-AA polls or playoffs.  Outside of Montana (stuck in 1-AA because of Montana St.) and maybe Ga. Southern, the best 1-AA schools like Boise and Marshall all wanted to go 1-A. 

Go see a SFA or Sam Houston game sometime, not bad football but you'll see a big difference in quality and game atmosphere from a USM or Memphis type program.  NT used to be in a conference with the Tulsas, Cincys, Louisvilles, and Memphis's (early 70's) and we're still trying to recover back to that level from our drop to 1-AA.  dry.gif

A lot of people tend to forget that we played 1A football before we had our little dark age period from roughly the mid-80's to the mid-90's. We have generally played at the top level of football since we began competition in the early 1900's.

San Marcos has NEVER in their HISTORY been even close to playing at the top level of collegiate football. Unfortunately, most of our current conference mates are newbies to the 1A level themselves.

Not that I'm trying to offend our conference mates, but I wish we could find a way to separate ourselves from the newby pack. Unless it looks like Rice and Tulane are going to hang it up, I SAY GO WACKY!! Sorry I just can't help myself! smile.gif

I do hope that all in the Mean Green Nation start casting our sails (again) in bigger waters than a 1-AA Texas State will ever do and also immediately cease all stinkin' thinkin' that merely being back at the top of the SBC is the best we can ever do anymore.

I don't know whats happened at UNT the last few years to have created such low self esteem and low expectation (well, I sorta' do, but I have put myself on a moratorium on that subject until recruiting is over in February); but the sooner the MG Nation gets back to thinking in the mode of getting to (at least) the Top 50 of the 119 schools in NCAA 1-A, the better. Hopefully time and events will take care of all that in Mean Green Country sooner than later.

We really deserve no less than (minimum) Top 50 at a school the size, the scope and the potential of the University of North Texas. I believe our population explosion on campus and Denton County is finally beginnning to show itself at the Fouts Field turnstiles and a 2 win season with the crowds we had this season seems to have proven that. But as far as even next season is concerned, I can't believe that many on this forum are now at the level of wondering just how bad SMU will beat us. sad.gif

Enough of Texas St. U, they will lose their head football coach (with the disciplined style of his football team) to some other school in NCAA D1-A soon enough. I was duly impressed with how the Bobcats looked against Texas A & M earlier this Fall. I felt back then that we would have had a difficult time staying on the field with the Bobcats. We will now be up against TSU (moreso than ever) in recruiting in the next few weeks. wink.gif

I OFFER UP A TOAST FOR BRIGHTER MEAN GREEN TOMORROWS....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Tx State won as many playoff games as North Texas State won the entire 2005 season.  Hard to figure why some still can't get the name right.

Not really all that hard to figure.

SWTSU-SM has never had the size that a lot of the other colleges in texas have.

They are still in D1-AA, many folks don't pay attention to them.

SWTSU-SM is a feeder school to UT, isn't it?

A name change didn't occur until the last 2 years right?