I went to the Texas State game today.....

bflan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If NT doesn't stop its myopic thinking, San Marcos is going to blow right past us in stature. As I originally thought, the NAME CHANGE (which we blew!!) has invigorated that school in a big way and that is only going to snowball. For the first time, the students there seem to think that they are on scale with the "States" of the world, and with a little success, that is going to lead to dynamic changes for their athletic program. 

NT has to get extremely agressive in many ways, or I guarantee you that we will be left in the dust by another upstart right here in our own backyard. I wouldn't be surprised if they join the Belt in a couple of years and then immediately take off for the WAC. We need to move up NOW to the next level!! The WAC may only be a half a notch up but it IS something! This 1AA conference caliber stuff has got to stop!  We've been around too long for this! SCREW THE GEOGRAPHICAL AND FINANCIAL BS! Let's do it in football only and that argument is irrelevant!

NT didn't blow the name change. Hayden Fry presented it in 1976 to the

legislature and they turned us down. Fry wasn't popular with some of the old

SWC members after he left SMU. It was talked about and presented and

turned down. It wasn't that NT didn't try for the name to be changed from

North Texas State University to Texas State. The legislature, at that time,

said it "would take away from UT's name recognition. The time wasn't right

in 1976.

Guest JohnDenver

Even if every other school in the TSUS changed their name, the San Marcos campus would still be the only one known simply as "Texas State" because it owns the copyright to that name and all the associated logos and marketing rights.

Not so sure. We would end up with Monroe/Lafeyette type fight on our hands... LaLa copyrighted the Louisanna name... but it didn't turn out so friendly.

---A lot of us at North Texas during the 60's and 70's did not want the name "Texas State". What usually happened is that inside of every state is that that college is often just refered to as "State".

---I was also a grad student (TA) at Texas Tech for a year and the name was being discussed there also... The Alums there did not want the "Texas State" name either. The result there was the official name Texas Tech University... instead of the Texas Technological College. A&M now stands for nothing either... just A&M. They did not want the name either... Oklahoma A&M, Kansas A&M, New Mexico A&M and others went to State name. Texas Aggies did not want it. Most even changed the mascot from Aggies (Cowboys etc) but NMSU did not.

---This State is large enough for us to use the North Texas name.... maybe not if we were in Conn, Rhode Island or some of those.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Even if every other school in the TSUS changed their name, the San Marcos campus would still be the only one known simply as "Texas State" because it owns the copyright to that name and all the associated logos and marketing rights.

No, the State of Texas owns the copy and other rights. I simple majority vote of the legislature would strip these from TSUSM.

They are and will remain Texas State University AT SAN MARCOS. Some will shorten the name when talking about them to Texas State, just as other schools get their names shorted to Texas, Tech, A&M and North Texas.

They won't get their name shortened to just State as there are too many other "States" in Texas. And no one is going to just call them by the initials TSU as that is what Texas Southern is already known as.

No, the State of Texas owns the copy and other rights. I simple majority vote of the legislature would strip these from TSUSM.

They are and will remain Texas State University AT SAN MARCOS. Some will shorten the name when talking about them to Texas State, just as other schools get their names shorted to Texas, Tech, A&M and North Texas.

They won't get their name shortened to just State as there are too many other "States" in Texas. And no one is going to just call them by the initials TSU as that is what Texas Southern is already known as.

I thought TSU was Tarleton State University... They also use TSU. ..Then there is TWU... Texas Wesleyan University or Texas Womens University.

I don't that is really an barrior to using TSU.

Both schools seem to have that covered.

That was the joke, I didnt understand the initial comment. Up until recently (when some guy died at a Teke party in 98 or '99), the Texas State admin let the greek system run wild... now they have clamped down on everything they do, understandably. Its really made it difficult for fraternities to do much. (This info from a friend who spent 5-6 years in school there in the greek system, and no he doesnt have a masters rolleyes.gif )

Edited by Eagle1855

• 1 month later...

Greetings, Gomeangreen posters.

This is my first post on your board, they're won't be many from me as I feel I am invited guest. After all, I don't like it when non-Bobcat fans come to www.bobcatfans.com and flood the message board with skewed opinions.

However; that being said, the Bobcats did have a fantastic year. And, as a Texas State alumnus I sincerely believe it's only going to get better. Texas State, like UNT, has many things to be proud of both from an academic perspective and an athletic perspective alike. As I reside in North Texas (and even attended UNT...back then it was North Texas State University..for a couple of semesters) I found myself drawn to your board just to catch up.

I've perused many posts on your website, from all different topics (ranging from our name change to athletics and I would like to taket this opportunity to chime in.

First:

Bflan, you're right...Barrick Nealy wasn't "good enough" for Division I-A. However; he is going to be good enough for the NFL.

See http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sp...blog-index.html

In addition, we have seven newcomers who are transferring from Division I-A programs for our 2006 program. This speaks well for our program and the ability for us to recruit excellent student athletes.

See http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sp...ootbl-body.html

Our head coach, David Bailiff, is a Texas State graduate and was a player himself when we won two Division II titles. He's an avid Bobcat, and unless someone has deep pockets he'll be around for a while.

Second:

Many posters have commented on the cost of our school's name change. Believe it or not, 90% of the cost was defrayed by a single donation from an alumnus who sadly enough is no longer alive.

Third:

I was originally opposed to the name change, but now I like it.

Fourth:

The final catalyst for the name change was instigated by the outgoing student president. He simply got in his car one day, drove to Austin and said "I want to change the school's name". There's more to it than this, obviously, but it was as simple as that.

In closing, IMHO, I don't think Texas State is ready for Division IA football....yet. I suspect that in 4-5 years (conservatively) we'll be there.

Would like to hear your feedback.

Respectfully submitted,

Boko Dweller

Welcome Boko.

I have to disagree on Nealy, he was easily a 1-A talent and could have started for many teams last year. And I agree that Bailiff is a fine coach and I have reminded many here throughout this past year what an amazing job he has done so far considering this past season was with his first full recruiting class.

I too would like to see TxSt go 1-A and join the Belt when your able to do so.

Rick

I learned the ol spring break puppy trick from some fellow greeks from SWT.

Buy a cute pup, take it to the beach, instant IN with the Ladies.

The world was a better place when we were playing SWT. They would bring up a good crowd for games, we would have huge parties...life was good.

GMG

Each fraternity had a tent and was having a blast tailgating and partying.

Just curious,  but just what do you think our frats need to learn from the boys at Texas State??

Piss on Texas State! Like we need any more fractionalism in regional recruiting.

Sorry to disappoint you Aquila Viridis....there was some "fractionalism in regional recruiting" this go around but not too much. Case in point, for 2006, some of our marquis recruits include the following:

- Texas Tech wide receiver Jake Brown

- Arkansas wide receiver Rick Culbert

- Utah State wide receiver Cameron Luke

- Purdue quarterback David Ramirez

- Arizona State defensive linemen Mark Washington

BokoDweller