Attendance Turnout

NT91

I read on yahoo sports that the turnout was 14,153 for the ULL game last night, pretty disapointing..I was expecting more.

Why?

We haven't won a home game and until Saturday hadn't scored a first half TD.

I'll be thrilled if we have 15K for homecoming.

How would expect more than that? I was happy to know it was just above 14k. So many of our students that were here for the 1st 2 games are freshmen, so while they bought the talk from RV (who wouldn't?), they still have a tenuous loyalty to the program. But now that the team has given up 3 consecutive home losses, a lot of those same kids who didn't have an opportunity to really build a loyalty are just turned off.

Heck, I would be too.

I'm scared out of my brains for the post-Thanksgiving game. The timing, even for a winning season isn't good. Back before things got nasty, I figured 15k would be the numbers for that game. Now I'd be ecstatic for 15k for that game.

tongue.gif

you can also add in zero pub for the game around campus and in the dorms where the freshmen are.

Outside of individual halls doing small promoting there was nothing at all from the Athletics Department.

Not to flip this around - well, actually it is.

Have you ever walked around and seen posters and table tents shoved in a trash can in Bruce Hall? Have you ever gone to the student organization mailbox and seen 50-100 posters shoved aside on the floor?

I'm for volume promotions here - but its not like the student body is sitting on their thumbs waiting for someone to hand them paper or a flyer - they are generally decided on going or not waaay before that.

Until we bankroll mean green joint night, we probably need to let this fish camp promotions/ build it to the younger underclassmen thing slowly keep building the student support up. The posters and flyers are probably more effective around the community.

At most other schools it is not just waiting for the AD to tell you to do something - the individual groups, dorms, and others work to make this happen too. I do not know how much things have changed in the last few years, but I had several defeated RA friends who did not enjoy having their hall laugh in their faces when they tried to organize a group for the game when I was there.

I think theirs plenty to criticize the AD department for without blaming them for a still largely apathetic student body (but hey, its improving.)

Its not just NT sports: The only group on campus that seems to consistently pull a crowd is College Life activities. Maybe we can have "Bread of Life" tortilla night?

tongue.gif

Promotions are going on for the games...

But it doesn't do attendance one lick of good if the team isn't going to win. We can paper the campus, run commercials, but it doesn't matter if the team isn't winning. The dorms DO get postered-out, but no one cares if the team isn't winning.

Most people make their decision on going to a game LONG before the gameday. At this point, many students feel like the team is just going to blow every game, and for those just getting to UNT, I don't blame them. There are the hardcore, die-hard fans who will be at every game, but those are also the students who have been here for the last year or two or three.

Kudos to those fans, and to those who just got started- have faith. The Mean Green have started from behind before, and the team has had to rebuild before. The program fought its way out of the D1AA limbo, and it WILL come back from one season of inexperience.

Starting with the students as they come into freshman orientation, etc is a very smart thing to do, but it only goes so far if the teams aren't winning.

To have a little over 14K show up to see a 2-5 team this past weekend was very surprising to me considering just a few of the other options people had for their entertainment dollar:

Opening day hunting season weekend.

Bush/Nascar race weekend(125,000 attendance reported for the Nov 5th race).

Mavericks opening night vs current NBA champions.

TCU winning their first outright conference championship in over 50 years(36,284 in attendance).

If you think 14K was a poor showing, wait until November 26th. Some of you who are new to the program and were not around in 2000 are in for an eye opening experience for sure.

God bless Patrick "The Emerald Express" Cobbs.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Next year we have to make the promotions "younger." There is plenty of time to do that for the 2006 season, but giving away Ipods, plasma tv's, yearly food credits...Future alums need to tell us what makes them tick and then load up on promotions of that nature - beginning December 1, 2005.

GMG

SMU had 15K for H.C. last Sat.

I was surprised by the turn-out... the alum side was very full. The end-zone was sprinkled. The students stayed for a half and filled up 2 sections. And then Rice had about 250-300 fans.

Boxes and club sections were very full. I thought about 15,000 was actual attendance -- so was surprised when was announced at 15,239. I figured it would be around 17,500 or so announced.

I just hope a 27-7 win over 0-8 Rice doesn't keep Bennett around...

Yeah we will be lucky to get 15,000. Especially when we have really unprofessional stuff like what happenend with RF and that fan, thats real classy for a D1 coach. Makes us look like a laughing stock of the Nation. Its usually between a coach and the OPPOSING teams fans... The big issue someone mentioned about starting with new freshman at orientation is simple. We have these loser frat guys that go to all the new students and tell them "we only tailgate and leave" < pathetic. so these pretty much high school students are easy to manipulate when nascent on campus.

Yeah we will be lucky to get 15,000. Especially when we have really unprofessional stuff like what happenend with RF and that fan, thats real classy for a D1 coach. Makes us look like a laughing stock of the Nation. Its usually between a coach and the OPPOSING teams fans... The big issue someone mentioned about starting with new freshman at orientation is simple. We have these loser frat guys that go to all the new students and tell them "we only tailgate and leave" < pathetic. so these pretty much high school students are easy to manipulate when nascent on campus.

Don't worry about being a national laughing stock - not many beyond this board care... wink.gif