I'm proud of the team

ADLER

The whole team played hard and was able to hold their own against one of the most talented teams in the nation yesterday. LSU had every possible advantage, yet the Mean Green still played their best game of the season.

The Mean Green were able to orchestrate 4 drives deep into LSU territory even though they only accumulated 3 points. Likewise LSU was held to 28 points until late in the 3rd quarter.

After the game the team held their heads high and departed the field as dignified men. The vast majority even went out of their way to thank the fans and families that came down to support them.

They may have been outscored, but they never lost their dignity. I'm very proud of them.

The whole team played hard and was able to hold their own against one of the most talented teams in the nation yesterday. LSU had every possible advantage, yet the Mean Green still played their best game of the season.

The Mean Green were able to orchestrate 4 drives deep into LSU territory even though they only accumulated 3 points. Likewise LSU was held to 28 points until late in the 3rd quarter.

After the game the team held their heads high and departed the field as dignified men. The vast majority even went out of their way to thank the fans and families that came down to support them.

They may have been outscored, but they never lost their dignity. I'm very proud of them.

Well said...

Is this game the turning point for the remainder of the season? unsure.gif

Is this game the turning point for the remainder of the season? :unsure:

I think so. Even though the outcome was really never in doubt, the team played well against insurmountable odds. It was very similar to last season's game against Colorado. We got soundly outscored, but there was enough fortitude displayed to show that this team is going to be all right.

Speaking of fortitude, freshman center Chad Rose played a hell of a game, especially considering that he was playing with an elbow that had been dislocated in practice this week. The team doctors reset the elbow, but told Chad sit out this game if the pain was unbearable.

We needed him, and he came through for us and not only played the whole game, but together with his OL teammates didn't allow a sack to a vaunted LSU defense.

Edited by ADLER

if holding our own is losing by 50+ then we are in REAL sad shape....

The part of all this non BCS business that should keep us all (somewhat) excited and from going into full clinical depressioin is how many of our non BCS teams can look real bad one year and then look real good the next. For example, just look at Tulsa U and Univ. of Houston this Fall.

Remember how badly TCU got beat by Texas Tech last Fall? The Red Raiders running up 70+ points againt the Horned Frogs in what had to be the Frogs worse defeat of all time? Now just look at TCU? blink.gif

TCU was a team-in-development about this time last Fall and if most will recall, the Frogs didn't go to a bowl game last year, either.

GMG!

rick-

I saw the game and I actually thought we played pretty well. The pass defense was soft...but for the first 3 quarters we did a pretty darn good job of stopping the run. The offense was original and clicking at many times. Through 3 quarters we were running and passing quite efficiently. Getting stuffed at the 1 was very diheartening for the team. I was proud.

Did you see the game?

Rick

Of course not. It's become en vogue on this board to look at point differentials and pay no attention to what occurs on the field. Throwing around catchphrases like "lowered expectations" allows you to paint anyone who sees improvement or even a positive side of things as "apologists" or having "green tinted glasses."

It amuses me in no small way that getting 56 hung on us by a team that many consider to have more talent than USC is "very sad." There is no logical way to spin this in a negative light. You have start with the assumption that this year's NT team is vastly talented and of quality to then grouse about the loss to LSU...but if you do you have to say this team doesn't really "stink." Or, you look at the fact that this team gave up 54 to Tulsa early in the year and then gave up only 4 points more than that to LSU, again only giving up 28 until into the 3rd quarter, and have to see that as improvement as the year progressed. I guess, though, your third option is to be a box score analyst and make asinine statements. dry.gif

I am sorry there may have been some improvement in this game, of course that begs the question why didn't we try some of this stuff earlier in the season??

Is DD softening some realizing that his ground and pound style will not cut it right now? We did lose 56-3 and in OOC games we were outscored 50-6, that is obviously nothing to be proud of right now, unless we are excepting the norm of losing every OOC game and trying to squeak thru the Belt.

If we continue to see the play in the upcoming games then maybe some of us "Haters", no different than others being called "Apologists", might be able to come around, but right now it will take 4 impressive showings to close the season before any sense of happiness will be found.

Edited by untbowler

Of course not.  It's become en vogue on this board to look at point differentials and pay no attention to what occurs on the field.  Throwing around catchphrases like "lowered expectations" allows you to paint anyone who sees improvement or even a positive side of things as "apologists" or having "green tinted glasses." 

It amuses me in no small way that getting 56 hung on us by a team that many consider to have more talent than USC is "very sad."  There is no logical way to spin this in a negative light.  You have start with the assumption that this year's NT team is vastly talented and of quality to then  grouse about the loss to LSU...but if you do you have to say this team doesn't really "stink."  Or, you look at the fact that this team gave up 54 to Tulsa early in the year and then gave up only 4 points more than that to LSU, again only giving up 28 until into the 3rd quarter, and have to see that as improvement as the year progressed.  I guess, though, your third option is to be a box score analyst and make asinine statements.  dry.gif

Why look at numbers that show a seven year trend when you can feel good about a highlight reel of 7 or 8 drives this season? If as few people watch these games as you think we really are in trouble - because this one of the few gathering areas of people who care about NT football.

I agree with you, not watching games and running your mouth is not the way to go. But to argue that the numbers do not help capture a story is just as asinine. No matter how many good feelings the team may give you and I love them as much as you do, looking at the numbers says there is a lot of work to do and perhaps not as much progress as we think. Since we think of this team a lot like we think of family, we love them and their warts but we still want to see them succeed and not enable bad habits or characteristics if possible. Watching them get skunked in OOC year in and year out is embarrassing and has held back people from seeing our program alongside the star mid-majors of the world.

This is an unfortunate reality for all mid majors (which we are not even truly one yet) - look how many jumped off the Toledo and Boise State bandwagons after they tanked in OOC? We need to find a way to be more consistent and drive the program forward - thats something we should all want and we should not resort to name calling if people do or do not think Dickey is the answer. If we suck next year, then we can start the name calling tongue.gif .

There are some personal attacks and stances on both sides of this debate I do not want to be a part of. For the record, I think getting rid of Dickey after this year is not the right move (unless someone huge comes available to us) and I do not consider anyone who sticks up for the program an apologist. I see the points of both sides and it is a pretty good debate both ways until everyone brings their personal feelings into it. If only Dickey could fire up this team the way he fires up so many on this board.

The team has progressed you are right, but I think, as I stated yesterday, the best way to measure this is for them to win out and get a second crack at Tulsa.

That's what I am rooting like hell for now so we can finally answer some questions one way or the other - no matter what, having a path to the NO Bowl and failing to get there would be devastating. Lets go show the Belt what 106 can do!!! wink.gif

Or, you look at the fact that this team gave up 54 to Tulsa early in the year and then gave up only 4 points more than that to LSU, again only giving up 28 until into the 3rd quarter, and have to see that as improvement as the year progressed.  dry.gif

I see improvement, but the first part of your statement above is what bothers me. Why is it acceptable to give up 54 to Tulsa? Does not being accepting of that make me a bad fan or assinine, as you put it?

I was glad to hear the improvement while listening to the game Saturday evening. Georgio and Hank mentioned that Meager looked like a different QB. I hope this is a sign of things to come. I also hated to see us give up the late 14 points and not capitalize on a couple of good drives, because the score doesn't tell the entire story. On the other hand, we still got beat by 53.

no I didn't watch the game because I can't get it where I live (CA)...but guess what...WE GOT BEAT BY 53 FREAKING POINTS! i don't have to watch the game to know that sucks. tell me mean mag, was the final score different in the game you watched than in the box score that I saw, because that is the only way I could see it being relevant

no I didn't watch the game because I can't get it where I live (CA)...but guess what...WE GOT BEAT BY 53 FREAKING POINTS!  i don't have to watch the game to know that sucks.  tell me mean mag, was the final score different in the game you watched than in the box score that I saw, because that is the only way I could see it being relevant

As Tommy Boy taught us all: ""You can get a pretty good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it"

As Tommy Boy taught us all: ""You can get a pretty good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it"

That's pretty good. But likewise, you can put a dress and lipstick on a pig, but it is still a PIG.

Call it what you want, even improvement, if that will make you sleep better, but a 56-3 loss to any team, anywhere is not acceptable, NEVER will be. DEMAND BETTER! tongue.gif

You can demand all you want.  Unless you are willing to put up what is needed, it won't do any good.

I agree with this, seems like lately the attitude has been if we as fans all hold hands and DEMAND better, an OOC win will manifest itself simply because we as fans DEMANDED it.

money is not the answer here.  we all know what is needed.  it just takes someone with the guts to do it.  retire Dickey.

No one can say that the OOC record is something a school of our size should find acceptable.

No one can say that our athletic endowment, booster club numbers, or season ticket numbers are something that a school half our size should find acceptable.

I agree with this, seems like lately the attitude has been if we as fans all hold hands and DEMAND better, an OOC win will manifest itself simply because we as fans DEMANDED it.

you can praise a 50 point loss as devine too and hide the fact that any other school fans would be embarrassed. wake up sheep Bah bah bahhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by LoveMG