Sunbelt Related Article

good_ken

From ESPN:

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Arkansas State's leading returning scorer is sitting out because he refuses to wear adidas shoes, which Indians players are obligated to wear because of a school contract.

Jerry Nichols, a 6-6 outside shooter who averaged 9.6 points per game last year, has had two knee operations and said he was wearing adidas shoes when he first hurt the knee. The school says Nichols has to dress by its rules.

"We have a contractual agreement with [adidas], and it's not any different than any number of other contracts with other schools. There is not any stipulation or any research that shows any shoes are worse than any others," Arkansas State athletic director Dean Lee told The Jonesboro Sun newspaper.

Nichols, who last year shot 41.8 percent from 3-point range, practiced over the weekend while wearing Nike shoes, placing tape to cover the brand's insignia. Nichols met with Lee on Monday, and Nichols was told to wear adidas shoes or sit. Nichols sat.

Nichols said he was wearing adidas shoes when he suffered a knee injury in 2001 while playing for Walters State Community College.

"I tore my ACL in adidas in junior college back in 2001, and I'm not comfortable wearing adidas," Nichols said.

Nichols has had two surgeries on his right knee, including one in late March following last season. ASU's basketball team wore Nike shoes last year but that contract has expired.

"Adidas shoes are part of our uniform," Lee said.

Lee said there is no room for compromise and that the school is obligated to put adidas shoes on the feet of athletes football, men's and women's basketball, baseball and track teams, along with several other sports.

"This is not picking on any one student athlete. This goes for all student athletes that are under that contract," Lee said.

Nichols said he may seek relief in court if the university does not change policy.

"If I have to miss this whole senior season for some shoes, why wouldn't I [sue]?" Nichols said. "I have done too much this summer, working out, staying up here all summer to waste a year. So if it has to come to a legal issue then I will."

ASU coach Dickey Nutt said he wants Nichols on the court, considering the team has its first exhibition in less than three weeks.

"I need all my players to be at practice, but it's out of my hands. That matter is in the administration's hands, so I'm just referring all questions to them," Nutt said.

here comes another frivolous lawsuit.

This damn kid should be happy to be getting his education paid for by the taxpayers and alumni at Arky St. This more or less selfishness, I highly doubt it was the shoes that tore his knee up. Hell I should blame Prince for my bum shoulder and knees from years of tennis and wearing/playing with their equipment. mad.gif

I don't know that I'd call this lawsuit frivolous (if it becomes a lawsuit). Rightly or wrongly the kid wants to wear the shoes he prefers. If he's willing to pay for the shoes himself and the school says no way, what other alternative does he have? I'm surprised this didn't happen to a track athlete a long time ago (they tend to be very particular about their footwear).

As a matter of law I have a question. When a student athlete signs a scholarship contract is there usually a clause that defines what the uniform is? I guess what I'm asking is, do these athletes agree in writing to wear this stuff?

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!