Fan Support

BIG DAWG

One of my best friends (a UNT alum) was, through spring of 2004, head football coach at Arlington Grace Prep HS...he has since moved to Illinois.

ULL had a QB two or three years ago who came from one of the Arlington private schools. Had a hell of an arm but ended up quitting college after starting for them one season. Is Grace Prep the same school? Maybe I'm thinking of Pantego Christian? And who is your friend coaching for in Illinois for now?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ULL had a QB two or three years ago who came from one of the Arlington private schools.  Had a hell of an arm but ended up quitting college after starting for them one season.  Is Grace Prep the same school?  Maybe I'm thinking of Pantego Christian?  And who is your friend coaching for in Illinois for now?

Rick

he is in Galesburg, which is his home town.....head JV coach for now, he'll soon take over the varsity

Can this thread get any more off track? Past recruits now coaching JV ball?

The fan base is growing. Blaming Dickey's five-yard and a cloud of dust strategy isn't the problem either. After all we've been doing it for 6 years and the fan base is still growing.

Do we need better recruiters? Probably.

Have we been able to make up for assistant coach turn over? No.

Are these things the responsibility of the fan base? No.

Its our job to go to the games, and give money.

Can this thread get any more off track?  Past recruits now coaching JV ball?

The fan base is growing.  Blaming Dickey's five-yard and a cloud of dust strategy isn't the problem either.  After all we've been doing it for 6 years and the fan base is still growing.

Do we need better recruiters?  Probably.

Have we been able to make up for assistant coach turn over? No.

Are these things the responsibility of the fan base?  No.

Its our job to go to the games, and give money.

Quoting shaft: Have we been able to make up for assistant coach turn over? No.

I agree.

GMG!

I hate to throw gasoline on this bonfire, but what the heck, since the (recent)    subject is recruiting.......

One of my best friends (a UNT alum) was, through spring of 2004, head football coach at Arlington Grace Prep HS...he has since moved to Illinois.

But while coach at Grace, he had several players he thought could play for the Mean Green. He always called the athletic dept. when he had a possible recruit for us. The last one he called them about was a smallish RB who he thought would be a star for the Mean Green. But he never even recieved a return call. That player's name is Justin Forsett (sp?).....he now splits time at RB for the UCal Bears, and he's damn good.

I know at least one other player my friend called UNT about, when he was at Tyler St. Christian in Dallas -- Jacoby Reinhart, who ended up at SMU, and then the Cardinals of the NFL......once again, no return call. There were different people in charge then, I should add, but it frustrated my buddy to no end watching Coby start at SMU as a freshman, become a star, then go to the NFL.

After Forsett, he said he'd never call them again and griped that even an alum can't get a return call. He knows I'm a life-long fan, so he asked me what's the deal? The only answer I could come up with was that we are deep at RB.

I guess the point is that, like Rick pointed out, we seem to miss on OBVIOUS recruiting opportunities. I wonder every year if there aren't a COUPLE of players from Denton that couldn't play for UNT, not the studs, but the overlooked FOOTBALL PLAYER type guys......seems it would help attendance to get some locals....not to mention the hundreds from the Dallas area.

3 years ago I thought we had the recruiting thing down, I loved what was happening....now I am not so sure....

In 30 plus years as a Mean Green fan, I've never seen UNT recruit a kid from Denton who brought thousands more of fan support to Fouts Field. Wish it really would work that way, but I don't think it really does from local recruits at any college town who would recruit from their local high schools.

We just need the Denton casual fans to come out even if half our team is recruited from Muleshoe, Texas, or wherever. FWIW, I've been impressed with what I've seen on the press box side of Fouts in our first 2 games and I think Dentonites had much to do with that success. I hope they will continue to support our young football team because a young football team needs all the encouragement it can get and 20K plus fans at Fouts Field is a major way of showing that sincere support.

We have some very bright days ahead for those who have forgotten that we've been down before and have risen from the desert sands just like the Phoenix. There can be a certain amount of fun in watching a team develop. After reading the Dallas and Fort Worth papers even today, it seems OU and TAMU are having to do the same thing albeit on a different level, but that just proves that times of rebuilding happens with some of the best programs in NCAA D1-A.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest Aquila_Viridis

You want to know what the root problem is? It's because UT and A&M get about twice as much state money PER STUDENT than UNT gets. It's an inequity that should be made very much in the open. We'll be stuck in second class status until that gets fixed, because until then it will be near impossible to convince anyone this is a big-time program.

"You want to know what the root problem is? It's because UT and A&M get about twice as much state money PER STUDENT than UNT gets. It's an inequity that should be made very much in the open. We'll be stuck in second class status until that gets fixed, because until then it will be near impossible to convince anyone this is a big-time program."

That can't be it. I'm sure it's because you didn't cheer hard enough.