WAC Expansion Talk - Coaches don't like schedule

MeanGreen61

From a Nevada Appeal article

COACHES DON'T LIKE SCHEDULE

The nine-team conference is a tough one to schedule, and none of the coaches are ecstatic about this year's schedule.

Because of nine teams and TV appearances, which means no travel partners, games in the WAC are being played on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

In the past, WAC teams would play a traditional Thursday-Saturday schedule for the most part, and you would either be at home or on the road for both games. The new schedule does call for split weekends for teams, meaning they could be at home on a weeknight and away on a Saturday or vice versa.

"It's tougher," Fox said. "The travel is brutal. We play Boise on a Thursday night, and Hawai'i will come into Reno before we do."

Boise State's Greg Graham agreed.

"We have five split weekends; the most in the conference," he said.

Louisiana Tech's Keith Richard was much more politically correct. The Bulldogs are the Eastern-most school in the conference, and all of their trips except to Las Cruces will be lengthy.

"We knew this four years ago when we got into the conference," he said. Previously, the Bulldogs played in the Sun Belt Conference.

Benson knows that the coaches are frustrated.

"We knew it would be a challenge going in," Benson said. "We'll continue trying to work with it. Adding a 10th team will always be on the radar. There is an advantage to a 10-team league."

Benson said that he's had two or three inquiries about future openings in the league. The University of Denver has shown some interest.

"We are doing everything we can to build the WAC and make it a better league," Benson said.

Obviously, if the WAC is going to jump at a 10th school, the conference would like it to be in close proximity of another member, which would make it easier for basketball.

Article

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200510...PORTS/110130063

Utah State thread

http://mb4.scout.com/futahstatefrm3.showMe...cID=13875.topic

WAC thread

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/wac/invision...=ST&f=18&t=1390

It is my sincere hope that we NEVER join the WAC, and I dont think there is anything that will change my opinion of that, short of the WAC becoming a BCS conference (which will follow the freezing of hell and flying of monkeys)

I agree completely. Besides...I can just hear the excuses for losing WAC games...besides the typical "we've got a lot of young players" excuse we could add the following: we've got jetlag, Hawai'i has been a D-1 school for a LONG time and it's easier to recruit players to play in Hawai'i, we don't have the passing mentality to beat a WAC team, the travel expenses are killing our recruiting budget, etc, etc.

The funny thing is...I would have to agree with most those...we are not geographically suited to play in the WAC and we would have much to lose and very little to gain. We need to get back to dominating the SBC and really separate ourselves from the rest of the league before we even think about being invited to another conference. So far this year, I'd have to say we're headed in the opposite direction.

Louisiana Tech's Keith Richard was much more politically correct. The Bulldogs are the Eastern-most school in the conference, and all of their trips except to Las Cruces will be lengthy.

"We knew this four years ago when we got into the conference," he said. Previously, the Bulldogs played in the Sun Belt Conference.

Really? I thought when La.Tech got into the conference they were counting on short trips to Tulsa, Dallas and Houston to balance out the long trips.