Letter to Student Body

PerryG2480

This is on a full page in the middle of the NT Daily today. Great job, RV!

user posted image

"Students,

On behalf of North Texas Athletics, I would personally like to thank the student body for your tremendous support of the Mean Green football team on September 17th. The amount of pride and spirit shown throughout the day was overwhelming. I was so proud of the University of North Texas family.

But, we need your support now more than ever.

Today, we will take on the Troy Trojans before a "national" audience on ESPN2 televised to over 82 million homes. This is the first time in North Texas football history that ESPN2 has broadcasted a nationally televised game from Denton, and we don't want it to be our last. Come to the game and show the country what MEAN GREEN spirit is all about! Paint your faces, make your signs and most of all wear green. With your help and support, we can make tonight a milestone in North Texas history.

GO MEAN GREEN

Rick Villarreal

Director of Athletics

University of North Texas

P.S.- The first 3,000 students will receive a FREE North Texas t-shirt. Wear your green loud and proud so that people watching all over the country will know about the Mean Green!"

Regardless of whether or not he likes RV, I don't see how he can say RV doesn't support football. The man attends every single football game, and at home games even steps in to help sell or check tickets at the gates (I know how some of you feel about this, but please save that for another thread.) In addition, he walks around during tailgating, talking to any fan who wants to bend his ear, encouraging them to enjoy themselves and show their school spirit.

How is that not supporting football?

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't he once a football coach himself? RV supports all North Texas athletics with the same enthusiasm and spirit as many on this board - and more than some. dry.gif If you don't like some of RV's policies, fine. But don't accuse him of not supporting football unless you've got a leg to stand on.

Ask RV why he tells the players to get a parking pass “P” and they cannot park in the lot next to the practice field with out getting a ticket.

Ask RV why they do not have the new color unis when he told the players that the color was going to be Michigan State colors in Jan.

Ask RV why he would not support the new turf until it became an issue on this board

Ask RV why he told you that the players would be avaible for autographs but neither he nor Capper told the players or the coach about this (you know if Cobbs and JoMo knew anything about this they would have been there for the kids)

Ask RV why the player’s lounge is not finished three months after the start of 2 a-days

Ask RV why the field is blank

Ask RV why he waited until the day before the game to let intramurals know that their games would be canceled

Ask RV why he spends 40-45 mins to tell all recruits how great he is and what he is going to do and nothing happens

This is just the start I could go no for hours

Ask RV why he tells the players to get a parking pass “P” and they cannot park in the lot next to the practice field with out getting a ticket.

Ask RV why they do not have the new color unis when he told the players that the color was going to be Michigan State colors in Jan.

Ask RV why he would not support the new turf until it became an issue on this board

Ask RV why he told you that the players would be avaible for autographs but neither he nor Capper told the players or the coach about this (you know if Cobbs and JoMo knew anything about this they would have been there for the kids)

Ask RV why the player’s lounge is not finished three months after the start of 2 a-days

Ask RV why he waited until the day before the game to let intramurals know that their games would be canceled

Ask RV why he spends 40-45 mins to tell all recruits how great he is and what he is going to do and nothing happens

Tailgating was a non-entity before RV.

Student giveaways at games were a non-entity before RV.

ESPN never even thought about NT before RV.

The new Athletic Center.

The new Womens Athletic Facitlity.

The Purchase of Liberty Christian.

The new soccer field.

The new Softball field

The new tennis facility.

Winning the bid for the SunBelt BB tournament.

Plans for the new football stadium.

This is just the start. I could go on for days.

Edited by Eagle-96

As Far as the intramural comment....I am sure RV had a few more important things to deal with last week and this weekend...but guess what...He made the call...the games are cancelled...and honestly calling all the people yesterday wasn't stressful at all....24+ hours is MORE than ample time to call 75 people....so thats a bogus reason to be hating on RV....

THis cat wants to throw it back to the glory days!!! HELL YEAH! lets sucks again!!!! rolleyes.gif (almost forgot that smiley thing....lol)

90% of those complaints of your's is all about funding. RV does not have unlimited resources, and to be quite honest, I am absolutely amazed he has accomplished what he has. This stuff costs money...lots of money...money that UNT doesn't have. How about some props to RV for squeezing 10 dollars out of every penny????

Regarding the parking...do you honestly believe RV has ANY control over the parking over there? You must not have attended or worked for UNT...otherwise you know that the Parking Office seems to have autonomous power to do whatever they want. This is the same parking office that gave me a ticket one night....because the idiot parking ticket writer guy couldn't see my pass hanging in my windshield because a cold front had come in earlier and the condensation fogged up all my windows making it impossible to see through them....so since he couldn't see through the window at all, he wrote me a ticket for "failing to have a parking pass in view/displayed". I don't think even President Pohl himself has very much control over what parking does. Lay off RV.

And if our students can't figure out that intramurals won't be played on the practice field that is used for tailgating the night of a game on their own, then our problem is with admissions and not with RV. If we are admitting students too damn dumb to figure out that the intramural field won't be available the night of a home football game, then maybe we should rethink our admission standards. [/tongue-in-cheek for you students out there].

Lay off RV. He is doing a remarkable job considering what he has to work with here.

I think the rest is pretty much self explanatory. But the criticism about the color of the uni's and having logos painted on the field goes back to the URCM department. They didn't even tell the athletic department what logos they were going to be allowed to push until May, nor what the correct color would look like, university wide, until April. Orders for any new equipment go out much earlier than that which is why we are still in the darker green. The fact that there was anything to buy with the new logos on it before the start of the season was surprising.

The positives very much outweigh the negatives.

Rick

And if our students can't figure out that intramurals won't be played on the practice field that is used for tailgating the night of a game on their own, then our problem is with admissions and not with RV.  If we are admitting students too damn dumb to figure out that the intramural field won't be available the night of a home football game, then maybe we should rethink our admission standards. [/tongue-in-cheek for you students out there]. 

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

RV has done, and will keep doing a ton for the program.

The only thing I would have liked to see in that letter is him talking about the parking passes, money for books, and oh yeah tuition being paid that is being given away at the game tonight. Other then that, nice letter.

That info is printed at the top of an article on the front page so most everyone that sees a copy of the Daily will know about it.

What started as a good thread turned into one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this board. If anyone thinks that NT is not much better off since RV has arrived, then they are delirious. We are lucky to have him...and fortunate that a program that can afford to pay more hasn't stolen him from us yet.

---I have seen some threads take strange directions but this is the record one. Some comments here came out of left field and have absolutely nothing to do with anything. This not a gripe place. Go to whoever is in charge if you have a problem. If you don't go then you lack the courage to speak face-to-face or there is no big problem. I have no idea if ANY of it makes any sense There are always problems everywhere.. The big one is we face is the lack of BIG money to do a lot of things..

---Michigan State colors?.... Who cares, we are not MSU.......Why is that a problem?... That statement tells volumes about your complaints if that is an issue.....and last----- Are you sober today?

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66