FFR you out there?

GreenFlag

So what the hell is that suppose to mean. mad.gif ..my son could have went to a big 12 or an SEC school but chose UNT because of the new facilities and the commitment to becomming a top 20 program. My other son Brent (who is getting looks from many schools)was sitting with the other recruits at the 50 (right at the bottom of the stadium which is kind of stupid because we couldn't see the game over the head of the other players) Along with Brent were recruits from places like Tulsa Union and these kids had 2 6A state championship rings on their fingers which is a pretty good indication of their abilities, so UNT is attracting better and better talent (my sons are a testiment to that).

One of the things the people on this board and other MG fans have to realize is freshman talent does not mean automatic winning seasons. I was at the game saturday and the game was not as bad as the score indicated. The offense had success moving the ball but shot themselves in the foot time after time after they crossed the 50 yard line with stupid penalties (4th and 55 at one point due to stupid penalties). The penalties are a direct result of a young team. The defense played great ball till the end of the 1st half and part of their total let down in the second half was due to the offenses inablity to generate any kind of points (again because of mistakes made by a young team). But one game does not mean the end of life as the MG know it. You can bet that DD and company will work hard on correcting these mistakes this week. Yes they have to get the passing game going. When TU started putting 9 men in the box to stop the running game one way to counter that is with quick hard passes over the middle to the TE or A back. this way the QB does not need hardly any time to pass because he takes 2 steps back and chunks the rock. But as bitter as the loss to TU by so many points is, it is not the end of the season. Keep a stiff upper lip everybody and keep supporting the players and coaches. They don't desearve to be ripped because of one loss to a team that nearly took OU apart last week.

Edited by MeanGreenPOP

MeanGreenPop, I have been waiting for your comments because I figured this game had special meaning for you (you being from OK and all). The passing plays you mentioned at the end of your post is exactly what I have thought. I do hope DD and staff can work on that because until they do, I think everyone will do the exact same thing Southern Miss did last year in our bowl game. I have no doubt Tulsa watched what USM did.

This loss was more about stupid penalities and bad decisions.... not bad recruiting or even poor effort.

They can be somewhat corrected.... show some restraint and self control, and also THINK more.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The biggest play of the game was the run PC had down to the 1yd line in the 1st quarter ony to be called back due to holding. It would have put us up 9-0, you never know what would have happened from there.

---The holding penality was result of what happened on the side opposite of where the ball went (at least that is where the flag was thrown) ..... What was the point of holding?..... it had nothing to do with the result of the play which made it a really stupid penality..... THINK..... As I posted earlier..... Football is as much mental as physical.... Make good decisions.

You are right... the result could have been very different without that penality (and several others) .... I think the score then was 2-2.

A score by our team when we had the run down to the one instead of the hold could have deffinately changed the look of the entire game. As one pointed out above those penalties can be corrected.

As far as Brent goes, yes he is still very interested in UNT (his wanting be with Charley is a big factor)

He is being looked at by several schools but I cannot comment any further that that because recruiters frown on parents releasing information about recruitment and I don't want to damage the close relationships I have with them. Though UNT will have the upperhand on Brent because of Charley the decision is up to him as it will affect him for the rest of his life.

I don't think FFR was taking a shot at the players that where recruited. It was a very good class.

I think FFR was making a comment that some people in the coaching staff seemed to have interviewed for head coach positions else where over the offseason, and he was worried they may not have spent as much time recruiting as they usually would have.

I don't think FFR was taking a shot at the players that where recruited. It was a very good class.

I think FFR was making a comment that some people in the coaching staff seemed to have interviewed for head coach positions else where over the offseason, and he was worried they may not have spent as much time recruiting as they usually would have.

ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Well if that isn't a shot at the players then what the heck is it? If he's saying that they didn't spend as much time as they should have recruiting then he's saying the player's recruited arn't as good as they could have gotten. That sounds like a shot to me. biggrin.gif

I think POPs falls in line with the majority of who post on the board!!

*It is just one game.

*DD has won 4 SBC championships.

*What I understand from Harry et. al. is that this UNT team is one of the deepest in talent than what we have had in the past.

*Our freshmen QB's will be improving.....if ya'll remember most of you were giving high kudos to the QB's.

*Our entire team will be improving this season.

*DD was classy enough to report to everyone that he was out coached. Happens to everyone. Look at the position that Stoops is in at OU.

*Support DD & RF for what they have done to our athletic program even though they both came from SMU laugh.gif They have both brought a program that was one of the bottom feeders of D-1 to where we have been placed (like last week) in the Top 10 of Non BCS schools. THAT TAKES TALENT AND RECRUITING BY OUR COACHING STAFF!!

*Support DD and all his coaching staff for what they have done and will do in the future. They will not let you down!! They will not let themselves down!!

MG POP, this is absolutely no "shot" at any of our players, but this was one of the worst losses ever for North Texas. Why? All of the hoopla over Cobbs and Thomas, continued success in our conference, a great crowd with MANY NEW FACES IN IT TO SEE WHAT THE HOOPLA WAS ABOUT, and we laid an egg. This will have negative effects on the future attendance, recruiting because we recruit the same kids that Tulsa does and on the future fundraising.

No offense to Tulsa, but we should never lose to them by 52 points or in the fashion that we lost to them. I was utterly embarrassed, and I have been following North Texas football since the late 60's.

MG POP, this is absolutely no "shot" at any of our players, but this was one of the worst losses ever for North Texas.  Why?  All of the hoopla over Cobbs and Thomas, continued success in our conference, a great crowd with MANY NEW FACES IN IT TO SEE WHAT THE HOOPLA WAS ABOUT, and we laid an egg.  This will have negative effects on the future attendance, recruiting because we recruit the same kids that Tulsa does and on the future fundraising.

No offense to Tulsa, but we should never lose to them by 52 points or in the fashion that we lost to them.  I was utterly embarrassed, and I have been following North Texas football since the late 60's.

Ok, so it wasn't a shot at the players, I just think we should give these guys (including the coaches) a chance to overcome this without all the bashing....I get a blow by blow discription of the practices and It's my opinion that all the coaches do a great job. Coach DD has assembled a very quality staff and each one cares deeply about the players and winning. Yes the TU game sucked, for the fans, coaches and players...but I know they are putting it behind them and moving on and they are working hard on correcting the mistakes that were made in the game and preparing a solid game plan for KSU. Lets all get behind the Coaches and the players and show a winning spirit despite the loss to TU..Believe me it was just as horrible for the coaches and players as it was for the fans..remember, they are young but talented lot of players and they are building something for the future not just the present!

Ok, so it wasn't a shot at the players, I just think we should give these guys (including the coaches) a chance to overcome this without all the bashing....I get a blow by blow discription of the practices and It's my opinion that all the coaches do a great job.  Coach DD has assembled a very quality staff and each one cares deeply about the players and winning.  Yes the TU game sucked, for the fans, coaches and players...but I know they are putting it behind them and moving on and they are working hard on correcting the mistakes that were made in the game and preparing a solid game plan for KSU.  Lets all get behind the Coaches and the players and show a winning spirit despite the loss to TU..Believe me it was just as horrible for the coaches and players as it was for the fans..remember, they are young but talented lot of players and they are building something for the future not just the present!

I believe a very large portion of GMG.com would concur especially with the last sentence of your post, MeanGreenPop.

Visit often--post even more! cool.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen