Mean Green- soon to be "has been"?

mdmeangreen

A quote from Richard Cirminiello @ CFN: "One day in the not too distant future, a program other than North Texas will win the Sun Belt, and that team will play its home games in the Sunshine State. No offense to the folks of Denton, Tex., but it has to be infinitely easier to recruit kids to Miami and Boca Raton, respective homes of Sun Belt first-timers, Florida International and Florida Atlantic."

Folks, I can understand his position but is he forgetting Denton happens to be located in Texas? We're North Texas NOT North Dakota!

---One thing that I observed is that until lately there has only been only THREE division one schools in Florida splitting up the Florida talent. Now there is a bunch of new ones that have appeared.... CFU, USF, FIU, and FAU., so now there are 7. Miami does a lot of out of state recruiting in addition.

--- Texas has always had a lot more division colleges (10) than Florida plus Texas gets recruited by about everyone. Personally I think the rankings of the big-3 Florida schools are about to sink some with all of the newer schools appearing and taking quite a bid ot the talent from them. You can bet Spurrier will hit the state big as well. California only has 5? division I schools which helps them.

--- I doubt that the Florida schools will be able to outdo us much plus we are now recruiting better in Texas since the breakup of the SWC, going back to D-I, and our recent run of success. We now need to get a better stadium situation and more name opponents at home .

A quote from Richard Cirminiello @ CFN:  "One day in the not too distant future, a program other than North Texas will win the Sun Belt, and that team will play its home games in the Sunshine State.  No offense to the folks of Denton, Tex., but it has to be infinitely easier to recruit kids to Miami and Boca Raton, respective homes of Sun Belt first-timers, Florida International and Florida Atlantic."

Folks, I can understand his position but is he forgetting Denton happens to be located in Texas?  We're North Texas NOT North Dakota!

FAU Coach Howie, Smellin'berger probably sent the sportswriter a $100 bill just to write that! laugh.gif (just kiddin'--sorta) rolleyes.gif BUT......have any of you noticed that even at the SBC Media Day (and other times) that Coach Howie' hardly even recognizes that anyone outside his school in the 'Belt exists? I cannot yet remember him giving NT any semblance of plaudits for our accomplishments. All I have read about was how he was going to build a new domed stadium and would one day get FAU out of the SBC for a better league...................Well, Coach Howie, make sure you are drinking from Ponce DeLeon's Fountain of Youth somewhere in the Sunshine State because YOU AIN'T NO SPRING CHICKEN, COACH! (I know, yet another idiotic statement from a GMG.com poster). tongue.gif

Said it before, but all these newest Florida D1-A football programs seem to put quality football programs together with warp speed. FWIW, we have yet to beat any of those schools starting with FAU last year and USF a few years ago.

Honest to goodness, I would have preferred to take a more senior-laden Mean Green team to our, uh, "2" blink.gif trips to Florida later this season to play FIU and FAU. And briefly on that subject, how the hell did that schedule quirk happen, SBC officials? NT should only have to go to Florida 1 time a year. Duh?

Yet this is the most out-of-sync football schedule I can ever remember at NT the almost 4 decades I've followed Mean Green football. Even rescheduling the LSU game has made it even more out-of-sync, but for half a million dollars, we all know that had to be done.

I know one particular year when Hayden Fry was in Denton, we only had 4 home games (and I even think 2 of those may have been at Texas Stadium which is IMO the main reason we didn't construct a new stadium when Coach Fry was in Denton. TS didn't work for NT just like it didn't work for SMU. SMU took care of their FB stadium shortfall, we are raising monies now to take car of ours.

Anyway, I feel it was NT's continuous dillly-dallying with Texas Stadium as a so-called home stadium all those decades that was the main reason NT "AD" Hayden Fry didn't use his enormous wealth of DFW/Texas high roller contacts to raise monies to build a new stadium; BTW, a stadium that would have probably been 1/4'th the cost of what our new stadium at Eagle Point will end up costing us here in this new millineum. But we are North Texas, we do take our time on some things now don't we? wink.gif

I think a well-placed email to the Italian sportswriter at CFN with all the photos/renderings of what is now going on at NT & our Eagle Point Campus might be in order and (who knows) may even completely alter his thinking to what he seems to think is our imminent downfall.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen