Campus bulding Question.

Ken14

Just a question for all the NT old timers...back in 1968-69 my Dad did his graduate work in the summer.. we would get an apartment and spend both summer terms up there...there was a bulding on campus called the Union Bulding...I remember it well as my parents went for coffee there and there was almost always a band or someone playing music when we were there. Does the bulding still exist?? I have only been on campus to Fouts for games....just thought I'd ask.

0-10 or 10-0 GREEN is the only way to go!!

Just a question for all the NT old timers...back in 1968-69 my Dad did his graduate work in the summer.. we would get an apartment and spend both summer terms up there...there was a bulding on campus called the Union Bulding...I remember it well as my parents went for coffee there and there was almost always a band or someone playing music when we were there. Does the bulding still exist?? I have only been on campus to Fouts for games....just thought I'd ask.

0-10 or 10-0 GREEN is the only way to go!!

Yes, the Union Bldg is still there but you would not recognize it as you last saw it.

Back when I arrived at NT in January of 1972, the Union was undergoing a dramatic re-make and expansion using the shell of the Union you knew as the main part of what would become (basically) the new NT Union.

Inside the new and improved 4 stories Union is also a runnning stream of which the water moves rapidly over polished rocks, a post office, a very large bookstore which includes Mean Green Gear/NT CD's from many College of Music ensembles including the NT Green Brigade marching band, UNT stuff/school supplies/graduation supplies/class rings can be ordered there, too, etc, etc, etc.

On the 3'rd floor is the Silver Eagle Suite where many banquets relating to campus and athletic activities have been held in the past. Many of those have now been moved to the newer Gateway Center near Fouts Field.

Ken14, most of our Mean Green Nation might be curious about what is happening now with you and family? The Mean Green Nation welcome all of you back to campus, but you'll need a map of the NT campus--I all but need a map of campus as it has changed very much since I was a student in the 1970's; but you would still see many familiar sights on campus, too.

Anyway, load up the family and show them where your NT Ex dad did his graduate work. If yall are able to come to Denton, this September 17'th might be a great day because that is our home football season opening Game Day as the Mean Green will play the Tulsa Golden Hurricane at Fouts Field. smile.gif

Ken14, you can get NT football tickets and Game Day info by calling 1-800-UNT-2366. They will also put you on their mailing list if you so request.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Union Building was referred to as the "U.B." in those days. Great coffee cake upstairs. The post office and the "University Store" (not the UNT Bookstore) are still located in the same place, by the way, but my post office box, 11667, is no longer there due to remodeling.

Edited by Ibleedgreen

What was the first residence hall on campus?

Bruce Hall is the oldest dorm on campus that is still functioning as a dorm...not sure if it was the first or not. Perhaps there was a dorm before it that is no longer a dorm or has been torn down.

Edited by hope24

Bruce Hall is the oldest dorm on campus that is still functioning as a dorm...not sure if it was the first or not.  Perhaps there was a dorm before it that is no longer a dorm or has been torn down.

The first dormitory building built on the campus was Marquis Hall, followed shortly by Terrell Hall. Both were later converted to office/classroom uses (Chilton Hall, Kendall Hall, the Music Practice Buildings are other buildings that were once student housing that have now been converted to other uses. Also, a portion of the Music Building was also student housing at the time it was built - most of this information comes from "The Story of North Texas" by James Rogers [any mistakes are from my memory!]).

Bruce Hall is the oldest residence hall still being used for that purpose.

The current music building was never a dorm. I was a Green Jacket in the late 60's, early 70's and we had to memorize all of the dorms. I lived in Chilton Hall, which housed the sororities. Yes, Chilton, Marquis, Terrell, Oak Street Hall, Kendall and Bruce were dormitories. The current music practice buildings on Avenue C, and Bain Hall were three of four halls that made up the Quadrangle, also called the "Quads," which were student housing. The athletes lived in the Quads for a while. Clark Hall was the newest in the late 60's, then Kerr was built.

The current music building was never a dorm. I was a Green Jacket in the late 60's, early 70's and we had to memorize all of the dorms. I lived in Chilton Hall, which housed the sororities. Yes, Chilton, Marquis, Terrell, Oak Street Hall, Kendall and Bruce were dormitories. The current music practice buildings on Avenue C, and Bain Hall were three of four halls that made up the Quadrangle, also called the "Quads," which were student housing. The athletes lived in the Quads for a while. Clark Hall was the newest in the late 60's, then Kerr was built.

As I mentioned in my post, the information I based my comments on came from "The Story of North Texas". In it, I clearly remember a section about how the Music Building included student rooms on the second floor of one wing. This had something to do with the way the money for the building could be raised at the time. I'd have to look in the book again (it's in my office) to give more details.

By the way, I had forgotten about Oak Street Hall (easy building to forget about since it is so far off the main campus!) Another bit of trivia - Oak Street Hall is located where it is because the college needed to expand, and Dr. Bruce happened to own that plot of land.