Getting denton ready for football season

eppy4life

You might want to consider major retail outlets, such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target.

Major restaurants such as Hooters, Johnny Carino's, Rudy's, and Outback Steakhouse might also be good places.

Of course, I think the best place to make sure there's plenty of advertising is right around the North Texas campus. Hooya already has a new "Think Green" poster and would probably be willing to put up more. Katz might put something up, as well as Chicken Express, Cool Beans, and the like. Most of those places already support North Texas in some way, shape or form, but it can never hurt to ask. smile.gif

Back during the Corky Nelson era, SUMG and I used to hit Denton Center, Carriage Square Shopping Center and the Denton courthouse square (among many spots).

We really had interesting conversations with some of the older Denton nestors at many of the stores on the courthouse square. One old timer we spoke to as we put an NT football poster in his store remembered when NT was in the PAC 10 (the PAC 8 back in the day he was alluding to). blink.gif We just looked at each other with the proverbial sh-- eating grin.

Most Denton merchants will be very cordial to you, but every once in a while you'll run into an Ebenezer Scrooge-type.sad.gif

Are the 2005 NT Mean Green football pocket schedules out yet? If so, many stores will also let you put those near their cash registers, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would avoid Wal-Mart and major chain retail stores b/c they will tell you what they have told me many times in the past..."We aren't run locally and we'll have to ask our national office..." Which will turn into one of two things: A "no" answer or never hearing from them again. Also, banks that aren't Wells Fargo are generally not very receptive because the posters say Wells Fargo.

Places to DEFINITELY hit. Rudy's, JT's dugout on the square, Beth Marie's, any and every bar you can find, all of fry street, up and down university drive and, though I've never tried it before, the high schools wouldn't be a bad idea.

When do you plan to do this? I'll help if it's next week Tues, Weds or Thurs during the day.

The residence halls are kept stocked with all sorts of posters. You won't need to worry about them.

Moe Clouse does a great job of making sure everyone knows about the athletic events. Remember those bracelets last year? Those were her idea.

The residence halls are kept stocked with all sorts of posters. You won't need to worry about them.

Moe Clouse does a great job of making sure everyone knows about the athletic events. Remember those bracelets last year? Those were her idea.

Good to hear that, thanks.

Lets start with the campus.  The dorms are fine but how about every classroom?  At the very least a spirt organization should leave a note (green marker/chalk) in every classroom the week of home games.

Now that's a great idea. Every now and then, I see a poster or announcement on the classroom boards, but not very many. I think if we can get the students' interest early, our season attendance will improve as we go along.

Does the Athletic Dept still recruit a few crazy fans to go driving around campus advertising the game the Friday before?

promotions people are paid to go around handing out pocket schedules, posters, etc. The new FB poster will be all over campus just like our basketball posters and last years football posters were. They go to most of the sponsors....Outback, Tomato, Rudy's, Riprocks, Lucky Lous, Cool Beans. I'm sure they have already been hit up for sporting a poster or two.

Edited by greenmean

Maybe we can be a little more pro-active than the promotions department and put this board to use.

Is there anyone out there who is part of the different service/spirt organizations on campus that can carry out this "tagging" campaign? Talons, NT40, student goverment, student chapter of NTexecs?

Be careful "Tagging" the campus. Back in '91 the team played Northeast Louisiana (UL-Monroe) in the last game of the season. If the team won they would make the I-AA playoffs.

Some friends & I chalked the campus, with "WE WIN, WE'RE IN" and the campus cops busted us. We didn't get in too much trouble, because it was just chalk. But it would be smart to clear it with the campus cops before it's done.

im thinking of taking some of the new football schedule posters to places in denton to see if they'll put them up in there stores.  where should i take them that would generate the most success?

Our message board did something similar a couple of weekends ago. Good luck!

We were fortunate enough to get some of our football players to come with us (around 30 or 40)

Here is the link on our board for the businesses that did put up a poster. We got a lot of "it is corporate policy" bullshiite.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/mtraiders/m...ges?msg=33095.1

Our message board did something similar a couple of weekends ago. Good luck!

We were fortunate enough to get some of our football players to come with us (around 30 or 40)

Here is the link on our board for the businesses that did put up a poster. We got a lot of "it is corporate policy" bullshiite.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/mtraiders/m...ges?msg=33095.1

Here's a list of our football players that went out to businesses with message board fans (and some non-board members):

Joe Craddock

Matt King

John Marc Stephens

Quinton Stanton

Patrick Jackson

Chris Anderson

Stephen Chicola

Walt Bell

Clinton Corder

DeMarcus Green

Josh Harris

Dennis Burke

Taron Henry

Willie Hall

Christopher Sapp

Germayle Franklin

Clint Marks

Jay Robinson

Marcus Gates

Bobby Payne

Damon Nickson

Kyle Turnbow

Luke Paschall

Roy Polite

Tanner Graham

Cleannord Saintil

Darrell Howard

Devarick Scandrett

Anthony Glover

Pierre Ingram

Kyle Ringley

Mike Cannon

Tavares Jones

Sean Mosley

Dana Stewart

Alex Suber

Eddie Brown

Jordan Wilson

Frank Royal

Dale Galvin

Brandon Perry

Bradley Robinson

In the past, have the players gone out with others to put up posters? This sounds like a good idea. I wonder if the non-participating businesses will still say "No thanks, corporate policy" when looking up at one of the BIG football players. Could make a difference.

We had several places that said their policy was not to hang the posters, but when they looked at our players, they said "go ahead and put it up".

I'm pretty sure if it was just me they would not have allowed this.

We specifially hit high-traffic businesses and those with marquees. Most of the marquee business said that they would work with us to place gameweek messages, etc. We shall see.

We had about 40 volunteers and 40 footballers.

We hit over 450 businesses.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

In the Memphis area, the UM football posters are everywhere. Posters should be going up in establishments all over the Metroplex, not just in Denton. I live in Collierville, which is 30 miles from UM, and there are a lot of UM posters out here. UM is drawing big crowds, well, at least by our standards.

In the Memphis area, the UM football posters are everywhere. Posters should be going up in establishments all over the Metroplex, not just in Denton. I live in Collierville, which is 30 miles from UM, and there are a lot of UM posters out here. UM is drawing big crowds, well, at least by our standards.

Back in the day, many of our group put NT football schedule posters (and pocket schedules) as far as Keller, Roanoke Krum, Ponder, Justin, Little Elm, Aubrey, Celina, Pilot Point and Lewisville (still NT's virtually untapped gold mine) and I believe some took a few to Gainsville. It was a concerted effort and well organized. If we just had alums from each of those cities volunteer to put the posters out now then we have all those areas covered again.

I think NT needs to draw a circle around the area it really should focus most of its marketing and then blitz he hell out of that territory. We might be fighting our war on too many fronts thinking Dallas County would be a prime fan market to place large numbers of posters because I think we would run out of posters very quickly. rolleyes.gif

We have 500,000 citizens in Denton County that gives us plenty to draw from if we just get aggressive more than anytime in our history to just go out to get these new fans/new faces.

At a Metroplex college, those of us who have been around this market for a few decades might suggest that you need to market your college football program as if the fans have completely forgotten what the football team did the year(s) before record-wise. If you don't do this, then you will find some empty seats in your football stadium in the Fall. ph34r.gif

I believe NT is building its future fan base with students who have witnessed Mean Green football teams that have gone to bowl games the last few years and have seen their team on TV many, many times. This is the group I believe we will get back to campus in record numbers once they graduate.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I think NT needs to draw a circle around the area it really should focus most of its marketing and then blitz he hell out of that territory.  We might be fighting our war on too many fronts thinking Dallas County would be a prime fan market to place large numbers of posters because I think we would run out of posters very quickly. rolleyes.gif 

I agree. Some zones could be intelligently selected over others, and those should be pelted. What is the school waiting for?

When I fly in over McKinney I see all those homes being built and think 'all those people will have to go to school somewhere'. There is so much potential, but they have to go out and get it. I can't even get a regular banner flag to hang off the house. We shouldn't be having to think about making our own stuff. In promotions, all they have to do is copy what has been successful for others. I guess it's the same old thing, there's apparently a weighty faction that does not want NT to be associated with athletics. WHAT is the downside? Maybe we're just being kept down by THE MAN.