Women's tennis signs 3 great recruits

SUMG

(All three of these ladies have very impressive credentials. Story from meangreensports.com):

DENTON (5/16/05) -- North Texas women’s tennis head coach Dawna Prevette has announced that Tyler Junior College standout Ina Wieding has signed a National Letter of Intent to play with the Mean Green next season.

Originally from Willich, Germany, Wieding has played No. 1 singles for the Apaches the last two seasons and earned All-America recognition. She recently led the Apaches to the NJCAA Division I national championship and was 18-5 in singles during the 2005 season at the time of her signing. Wieding was ranked No. 4 in the nation in the 2004 Fall NJCAA Division I ITA rankings and Tyler Junior College was No. 2 in the team rankings after finishing third in the nation the previous season.

"I am very excited about Ina coming to North Texas," said Prevette. "She has a complete game and I expect her to play at the top of our lineup. She will bring maturity to our team as well and I think she is going to be a huge asset next season."

One of the premier junior college players in the country, Wieding finished her freshman season ranked No. 2 in the final NJCAA ITA rankings.

Wieding achieved a 161 ranking among all adults in Germany before joining the TJC women’s tennis team. She won regionals in juniors four years in a row and was an adults doubles regional champion. She also finished in the final in adult singles in 2001.

North Texas wrapped up its 2005 signing class, which also includes Lynley Wasson of Tempe, Ariz., and Samantha Moreton of Winchester, England. Both players inked with North Texas in the early signing period.

Since Wasson signed with the Mean Green, she has gone on to win her third consecutive Arizona 5A state championship and was recently featured on the cover of School Sports magazine.

Moreton started playing tennis when she was seven and participated in a national tournament in Wimbledon after being named the best player in her country. Moreton attends Kings School and was the team captain for both tennis and basketball.

The signing of the three key additions will play a part in the tennis program’s growing success. Not only has North Texas registered double-figure wins each of the last four seasons for the first time in school history, it is in the process of building a new multi-court facility.

Lets hope they turn out as good as they sound. The British girl is supposed to be awesome, the German is a solid player who finished 3rd at NJCAA nationals and the AZ girl is ranked #1 in SW Region.

I also heard though that the courts will not be ready by the Fall, which sucks since the Tennis teams hosts a fall tourney every year.

Holy crap, the number 1 player in England and the number 1 player in AZ possibly the whole SW according to untbowler! Not to be critical of our school but that is a lot of talent coming here over other schools ranked better in tennis, why is my question? If the courts did it, I can't wait to see what we get when the FB stadium opens...

You can look at the rankings both ways.

The AZ is ranked #1 in SW, but around 80 or so in the nation, if I remember right. Tennis is a tough sport to recruit for because by the time a player reaches the end of high school, many times they are burned out. I know I only lasted one semester in college because other things became more important, so I decided to help coach and had fun for the 3 years.

Not familar with the English girl, I am hoping she is comparable to Laura Peaty, who was recruited by Sam Houston State, 3 years ago and has turned into an awesome player, now at Armstrong Atlantic (2005 D2 national Champs).

The German girl should step right in also and comes from a great JUCO program. Sounds like all 3 girls should step into the Top 3-4 slots which will make the team much stronger.

The team loses their #1, 4, and 7 so this is a very nice recruiting year for Dawna.

Here are some quick links:

Ina Weiding

http://www.collegetennisonline.com/view/re...S&prtcpId=36269

Lynley Wasson

http://tournaments.usta.com/Tournaments/Ra...d=119217&p=1177

Could not find any information on the Brit.

Edited by untbowler

Looks like Ina dominated one our players last year also 6-1 6-0, so that will improve 1 spot that we can see off the bat. It looks like Lynley is ranked about right at 73 after looking at her results. She is still a great grab and if she continues to improve during college should turn into a great player for NT.