Band Question?

MeanGreenNation

Why do you take your uniforms off during the game? Do you know how stupid we are going to look if you do that on National Television? I seriously hope you guys don't plan on removing those uniforms when we play Idaho. I've never seen a televised game where the Band removes there uniforms!!! I think it makes us look bad.

MGN.... your freakin crazy! I'll take looking bad on TV for a couple of people that actually notice the band in the background over having the flute section carted off from heat stroke any day. (BTW, just this week we had to call the EMS again for another heat related problem.. that was with out our WOLLEN jackets on!). Try to find something better to complain about.. here's one.. Dickey's an idiot!

I dare anyone to wear a WOOLEN uniform the ENTIRE game. It got hot especially at the first part of the game when we were in the direct line of the sun. I think that the band's health is a little more important than "looking good" on national tv. And what bandgeek said was right. We had to call EMS AGAIN this week for a heat problem and we weren't even in our uniforms!! That is #5 for calling EMS this season and we are only a month into it.

I don't want this post to be negative, but wearing our uniforms while it is warm to hot is not easy. You guys had the comfort of shorts and t shirts. Why else do we have beverages after pregame and halftime?

When the weather gets cooler, you can guarntee that the band will have our uniforms on the entire game, but asking us to wear our uniforms while still at least this warm is silly.

I will leave it at this-Would you rather see us in full uniform carrying someone off to the hospital or without our jackets playing in full strength?

I am sorry if this came off kinda negative!

TO HOT???? Well every college game I have seen on TV when the camera goes to the band they all have there uniforms on. I'm sure they are hot too, but you don't see them stripping down!!! This may sounds stupid or silly, but UNT needs to improve its immage, and this is just one way to do that. Granted the summer is almost over next time you watch a televised game pay attention to the shots of the band, you won't see them with there uniforms off. Not one game can I recall the band had their uniforms removed.

As I said, we take them off for our health. If you noticed, TCU took their uniforms off too. I understand the point of wanting to look good, but at what at cost should we look good? For the Idaho game, we will be in full uniform because it will be November and a lot cooler. Once fall and winter hit our uniforms will be staying on.

AGAIN, what's wrong with the band wearing tan shorts and GREEN shirts during hot games? The crowd will understand. It was OK for the UT band on Aug.31, I didn't hear anyone whining about them not wearing uniforms. And no, it's not a money issue either, everyone can afford shorts and green shirts.

Yes, I noticed them. Hopefully the next time you fly green flags, they will be much more in line with the school colors.

And before someone else mentions it, I also notice the flags that the TCU band was flying.........and I don't care!

TCU doesn't have school pride issues and we do. I still content that we need to fly the school colors until such time as that (school pride) is NOT an issue any longer.

By the way. The Green Brigade absoultely kicked-ass last night. Way to go guys!!!!

Hey Mean Green Nation, here's a thought. Next time we play, sit in the sun in 80 to 90 degree heat, wear wool pants, a tee shirt, a wool jacket, and a band hat. On top of that get up and down numerous times and see how you feel. I have never played in a band, but I certainly understand taking their jackets off in the first half. I was sitting near them, thank God not in the middle of them like some of you, wearing shirts and a t-shirt and was sweating.

"Walk a mile in their shoes before casting your stones"

BTW, great performance Green Brigade. Trust me, you bring much credit to our university.

I have been in a band and I am completely sympathetic about the uniform issue. Texas weather and "traditional" band uniforms are a formula for a potential disaster. I think that Green polo-type shirts and tan or gray shorts is more appropriate for early in the football season, than the traditional uni's. And to complete the outfit, maybe even some caps with "NORTH TEXAS GREEN BRIGADE" embroidered on them.

We need to start talking about this again in early spring. I think the weather is getting more fall-like. rolleyes.gif

I have a Question...Why doesn’t the Music Department foot the bill for new uniforms? It seems logical that most members of the band are probably students in that department (I could be wrong thought...correct me if I am wrong). NOW...Before anyone in the Band or Music Department goes crazy on me...This question is serious and not meant to be sarcastic...I just would like to know.

I think the Music Department does foot the bill when we get uniforms. But the uniforms are very expensive and are not bought very often. The uniforms are in a heavy material because they generally last longer and can take the beating the uniforms usually go through each year. The College of Music's budget is not massive. And this makes the Green Brigade's budget just that much smaller. But we work with what we have. The uniforms are about 500 dollars PER uniform and when you are buying about 350 uniforms, it turns out to be a very expensive venture.

I am not trying to complain about the size of our budget. It is more than sufficient in years we don't have to buy uniforms. But when you add in the purchase of the uniforms, it becomes a whole new ball game!! I think that our current uniforms will be around for a little while longer because these uniforms came to us in the Fall of 1995.

I hope this answers your questions NTSkull. Let me know if it didn't.

GMG!

Hey NTSkull... just thought i'd give my the little info i have on the budget of the GB: Even though most (90-95%) of the GB are music majors of some kind, their budget, and the basketball band's, comes out of the athletics budget. Not only does athletics pay for our uniforms and travel arangements for away games, but also pays for the tubas, other rented brass instruments, and the flags.

As for why the music department doesn't pay for us, my take is that the athletics have always paid for it, so moving such a big budget from one department to another would impact too many other things to be worth while. (remember, that's just my thoughts... not fact!)

Thanks for the info...I am for you guys being able to wear green shirts with a collar during the summer months...it is ridiculous to wear those heavy uniforms. The band should talk to the director (or whoever makes the decision) and let him/her know that it is way to hot in Texas for those uniforms.

As a side note, did any one see the color of flags we used yesterday?

I saw them and I thought it was great!!! I really don't care what shade of green it is........just let it be green (or white). The GB is doing a great job this yr and I hope that the fan support of them shows it.