Mean Green Beat East Carolina, 84-69

DENTON – The UNT men’s basketball team won its second straight game with an 84-69 home win over East Carolina on Sunday at the Super Pit.

The Mean Green (16-12, 9-7) honored senior Rubin Jones prior to tip-off on Sunday for becoming the program’s all-time winningest player earlier this season. Against the Pirates (14-15, 7-9), Jones led North Texas to its second straight 80-plus scoring performance and win as he poured in a game-high 18 points and dished out a game-high six assists.

This is the first time since 2012 the Mean Green have scored 80 or more in consecutive conference games.

“We have a ton of respect for (ECU) coach Michael Schwartz and his staff,” said North Texas head coach Ross Hodge. “So, for us it started there with respect. I thought our guys played well, especially offensively sharing the ball. We crashed the glass well and played unselfish basketball and were tied into winning.

I can’t put into words what Rubin (Jones) means to this program and means to me personally. To know his heart and how much he’s about winning and to be honored before the game as the all-time winningest player and play like he did and has been, I’m really happy for him and his family,” Hodge added.

Jones, who missed 11 of the first 13 conference games due to a hamstring injury has averaged 17 points and six assists per game over his team’s last two.

On Sunday he was one of five Mean Green players to score in double figures.

Jason Edwards and John Buggs III combined for 33 points versus East Carolina and hit eight of their team’s 13 total 3-pointers. The duo sparked a second half run that saw UNT’s lead grow from 10 points to 20 and more.

Also scoring in double figures was forward Robert Allen who scored a season-high 16 points and grabbed a team-high seven rebounds. CJ Noland was the fifth Mean Green player in double figures as he scored 11 points. It’s the fifth straight game Noland has scored in double figures.

North Texas remains home as they host (RV) Florida Atlantic on Wednesday at 7 p.m. CT at the Super Pit. The Owls reached the Final Four of the 2023 NCAA Tournament. Wednesday’s game against FAU will be broadcast on ESPN+ and the Mean Green Sports Network, presented by Learfield.

After Sunday’s win, UNT has just two regular season games remaining before the 2024 American Championship in Fort Worth. Tickets to the 2024 AAC Championship can be purchased here.

For more information on UNT men's basketball tickets, contact the Mean Green Ticket Office at 940-565-2527 or at ticketoffice@unt.edu. Fans can visit the UNT Athletics Ticket Office located at Gate 2 of DATCU Stadium between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

14 minutes ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

I have been noticing the (RV) ahead of the Florida Atlantic name in articles recently and have no idea what that means.  Can someone enlighten me?

Receiving votes for top 25.