Bonnie Brae widening and realignment project

I know some enjoy the country feeling of Bonnie Brae's current state by The Stadium Formerly Known as Apogee. But I personally am excited to finally see the road be expanded to four lanes.

My question is, does anyone know if the Bonnie Brae/Airport Rd. intersection is going to be reconstructed and give both the north and southbound Bonnie Brae traffic the right-of-way?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

My question is, does anyone know if the Bonnie Brae/Airport Rd. intersection is going to be reconstructed and give both the north and southbound Bonnie Brae traffic the right-of-way?

From the drawings it appears yes, Airport Rd will become a turn off Bonnie Brae, with a traffic signal...

BBPH3 –PROJECT OVERVIEW Widen & reconstruct the 2-lane rural road to a 4-lane divided urban street between FM1515 and Parvin, continuing same along new alignment between Parvin and Roselawn.  Project includes both water and wastewater improvements as well as street lighting and a sidewalk/sidepath on either side of the street.  Traffic signals will be installed at Roselawn, Willowwood, and FM 1515/Airport Rd.

PROJECT SCHEDULE

August 15, 2023:  Council Award project to contractor

October 16, 2023:  Begin Construction \

April 15, 2026:  Estimated Completion (weather dependent)

Enlink gas line relocations and lowering may also affect construction schedule

63ac46e19ce25a9d28d54c2f98b508a7_BB_3_PR

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

They should have done this 15 years ago before the stadium opened.  That tiny rural road going in there is pitiful.

Amen… It’s about time !!   I can’t tell you how many times over the years my car nearly slid off into that gutter ditch while reaching for a Bud.  GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, NT80 said:

From the drawings it appears yes, Airport Rd will become a turn off Bonnie Brae, with a traffic signal...

BBPH3 –PROJECT OVERVIEW Widen & reconstruct the 2-lane rural road to a 4-lane divided urban street between FM1515 and Parvin, continuing same along new alignment between Parvin and Roselawn.  Project includes both water and wastewater improvements as well as street lighting and a sidewalk/sidepath on either side of the street.  Traffic signals will be installed at Roselawn, Willowwood, and FM 1515/Airport Rd.

PROJECT SCHEDULE

August 15, 2023:  Council Award project to contractor

October 16, 2023:  Begin Construction \

April 15, 2026:  Estimated Completion (weather dependent)

Enlink gas line relocations and lowering may also affect construction schedule

63ac46e19ce25a9d28d54c2f98b508a7_BB_3_PR

Nice, thanks! Couldn't find a more detailed realignment layout like this.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

Should have been done when the stadium was being built. 

WHAT????   Plan ahead for traffic? Are you kidding? That's not the Texas way. Build those mega-housing editions first, then maybe......just maybe, worry about the traffic impact. Not to mention the stress on an over-stressed grid and water resources.....or the lack thereof.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

WHAT????   Plan ahead for traffic? Are you kidding? That's not the Texas way. Build those mega-housing editions first, then maybe......just maybe, worry about the traffic impact. Not to mention the stress on an over-stressed grid and water resources.....or the lack thereof.

On a serious note, it is crazy to me that Waco just finished expanding I-35 to eight lanes while it forever for Denton to get to six, and Fort Worth to Denton is still only four.

Meanwhile I never have to exit there, but seeing all the development in Argyle and Robson Ranch area makes me mad for the people who have to suffer a two-lane FM 407 everyday.

• Upvote 3

On 3/1/2024 at 12:30 AM, UNTLifer said:

Makes sense. Start this project in the middle of the season instead of waiting a month. 🤦‍♂️

You must not deal with government or construction projects often, much less government construction projects. They’ll be luck to start in April 2025. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Moobs said:

You must not deal with government or construction projects often, much less government construction projects. They’ll be luck to start in April 2025. 

So true. 

Makes sense. Start this project in the middle of the season instead of waiting a month. 🤦‍♂️

The project already started last October and will go for 2 1/2 years...

October 16, 2023:  Begin Construction 

April 15, 2026:  Estimated Completion

I hear ya but does it even matter when the project is going to take 2 years to complete? Gonna suck either way

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

The project already started last October and will go for 2 1/2 years...

October 16, 2023:  Begin Construction 

April 15, 2026:  Estimated Completion

Anyone familiar with road construction projects inside Denton city limits will know that "Estimated Completion" date is entirely feasible, but without a doubt will not be met.