LSU-Shreveport (12/30/23)

CMJ

LSU Shreveport is a Top 10 NAIA team, that was undefeated until their last game in which they lost to #2 Langston.

I am normally the optimist. Obviously this team can compete with anyone. Only one of our five losses was a blowout, and we led by double digits in that game.

I was also a fan of the Hodge promotion. But after a full nonconference slate, I am very curious where the focus is at in practice:

We still blow leads.
We can't run an offense that reliably gets us close looks at the basket or open mid range shots. (Kudos to LSU-Shreveport, they've got some guys who can shoot)
When we turn it over, they dogpile.
We have difficulties finishing easy opportunities.
NIT Sissoko has yet to show up this season.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't understand how anyone can catch fire when everybody gets subbed out within 5 minutes. I wish Hodge would let guys get going, and sub accordingly to how the game's going, not how he planned out his rotations the day before.

In those losses we've needed a closer, and I thought Edwards could be the guy, but in my opinion he's not getting enough shots, especially not enough consecutive opportunities.

• Upvote 7

48 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

LSU Shreveport is a Top 10 NAIA team, that was undefeated until their last game in which they lost to #2 Langston.

I am normally the optimist. Obviously this team can compete with anyone. Only one of our five losses was a blowout, and we led by double digits in that game.

I was also a fan of the Hodge promotion. But after a full nonconference slate, I am very curious where the focus is at in practice:

We still blow leads.
We can't run an offense that reliably gets us close looks at the basket or open mid range shots. (Kudos to LSU-Shreveport, they've got some guys who can shoot)
When we turn it over, they dogpile.
We have difficulties finishing easy opportunities.
NIT Sissoko has yet to show up this season.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I don't understand how anyone can catch fire when everybody gets subbed out within 5 minutes. I wish Hodge would let guys get going, and sub accordingly to how the game's going, not how he planned out his rotations the day before.

In those losses we've needed a closer, and I thought Edwards could be the guy, but in my opinion he's not getting enough shots, especially not enough consecutive opportunities.

What’s going on with Sissoko? Only 2 pts? 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Big Z said:

What’s going on with Sissoko? Only 2 pts? 

I don't know. We need to some ex-NBA big man in here as an assistant because I thought Abou would really struggle with where he was in relation to the basket. Not only do we wildly miss turnaround hookshots, but I felt a lot of guys, not just Sissoko, had weak layups or putbacks that were easily deflected by LSUS.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Edwards is clutch at free throws.  He is our Perry at the line this season.  When the plan is to draw fouls and get to the line then Edwards needs to be in the game!

• Upvote 2