HBCU Commissioners Challenge White House, Congress On Proposed NIL Legislation

Jonnyeagle

HBCU commissioners met with Congressional and White House officials to discuss pending NIL bills that negatively impact HBCUs.

HOUSTON —  The major historically black colleges and universities (HBCU) athletic conferences are led by commissioners Jacqie McWilliams (CIAA), Sonja Stills (MEAC), Dr. Anthony Holloman (SIAC), and Dr. Charles McClelland (SWAC) —  also known as the "4HBAC."  The four sports conferences' leaders traveled to Washington, D.C. to engage in critical discussions at the White House and in Congress about pending NIL legislations that could cripple sports programs at HBCUs.  Fortunately,  prominent figures like Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Sen. Maria Cantwell, Rep. Alma Adams, and Rep. Colin Allred, as well as Chiefs of Staff and staffers were willing to listen and take action on behalf of the black college sports leagues and their member institutions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I'm not sure how this ends up in a way that is "fair" to everybody. Unless a system is put in place with revenue sharing that requires minimum investments and maximum budgets by division, I'm not sure what can be done. I do not doubt that with the government being involved, they will look at some form of compensation provided to these schools. The problem is who will subsidize them; most likely, whoever it is will have no say.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm not sure how this ends up in a way that is "fair" to everybody. Unless a system is put in place with revenue sharing that requires minimum investments and maximum budgets by division, I'm not sure what can be done. I do not doubt that with the government being involved, they will look at some form of compensation provided to these schools. The problem is who will subsidize them; most likely, whoever it is will have no say.

The government started the problem when the Supreme Court made a completely insane decision

I wonder if they even realized the effect of this decision on amateur sports?  Did they believe that this would only lead athletes to picking up a few dollars signing autographs and making appearances at the local auto dealership?  I doubt they saw this facilitating the open buying of players.  

The essence of sports is to maintain as fair as possible competition,  This was obviously ignored in favor of individual rights. 

I believe this will be changed, but it will  be after most of us old fans are long gone.  NIL drifting down to the high school level and title 9 implications should be factors that demonstrate to everyone how foolish the current NIL rules are.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The government started the problem when the Supreme Court made a completely insane decision

I wonder if they even realized the effect of this decision on amateur sports?  Did they believe that this would only lead athletes to picking up a few dollars signing autographs and making appearances at the local auto dealership?  I doubt they saw this facilitating the open buying of players.  

The essence of sports is to maintain as fair as possible competition,  This was obviously ignored in favor of individual rights. 

I believe this will be changed, but it will  be after most of us old fans are long gone.  NIL drifting down to the high school level and title 9 implications should be factors that demonstrate to everyone how foolish the current NIL rules are.  

Yes, NIL has become the wrong term for what is happening now.  Pay-for-play is more appropriate.  Amateur sports have been diluted by players lured by money over just their passion for the sport.   Fans are left to cheer for only the school, never the player again!

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1