Mid-season review of North Texas women’s soccer team

Skipper

NT in a tough game as I predicted with Tulsa.  Watching the 2nd half.  We are definitely the aggressor yet Tulsa has had some good shots on goal.  2-2 with 33 min. remaining. 

AND they have new section for teams across field ... thank you ... so much better.  keep it coming !!

7 hours ago, untbowler said:

mid-season review: The same team and results different year. Beat the teams they should, lose with little offense to teams above them. 

Same story different year. 

🤦‍♂️Well how many programs do we have that are ranked #27 nationally out of 350 DI schools! Keep it going ladies, we’re proud of you!

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, blurbeard said:

🤦‍♂️Well how many programs do we have that are ranked #27 nationally out of 350 DI schools! Keep it going ladies, we’re proud of you!

that's fantastic, but they just tied and under .500 Tulsa and got blown out by Tx Tech and did not score a goal against Memphis, so again where am I wrong? I admit they have the conference championships, but it would nice to actually win an NCAA game and even better score a goal for once. 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:00 AM, Skipper said:

The North Texas soccer team’s record is currently at the best it has been since 2015, taking into consideration only the first 10 games played so far. While it is

View Full Article

Season is really more than half over with only 5 games to play! At 8-2-1, ranked 2 in the region, 27 RPI and RV for top 25 I would give the ladies a grade A at this time. With Tulsa having several of their starters back and now tying SMU as well this past week, our ranking should not drop too much. Hard to compare this team to 2015 team, that team I believe won both titles and looks like #9 in the country Memphis will win the regular season title right now…only wish Wesco our top forward was available for that game! Tough road weekend coming up, playing the two Florida schools that are playing well! Looks like the number 2 seed could come down to the last game against SMU at home! Hope we get a big crowd for the girls, they deserve it!

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 2

On 10/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, blurbeard said:

Season is really more than half over with only 5 games to play! At 8-2-1, ranked 2 in the region, 27 RPI and RV for top 25 I would give the ladies a grade A at this time. With Tulsa having several of their starters back and now tying SMU as well this past week, our ranking should not drop too much. Hard to compare this team to 2015 team, that team I believe won both titles and looks like #9 in the country Memphis will win the regular season title right now…only wish Wesco our top forward was available for that game! Tough road weekend coming up, playing the two Florida schools that are playing well! Looks like the number 2 seed could come down to the last game against SMU at home! Hope we get a big crowd for the girls, they deserve it!

Tulsa tie dropped us to #41 in RPI rankings. Somewhat of a big drop but looking at the +/-10 surrounding teams I’d say we are positioned properly, top 50. We need to run our remaining schedule to make a soft landing into NCAA tourney. Then pray our RPI is high enough to get a favorable seeding, unlike years past.

One game at a time…

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this thread did not age well. Ladies have 2 ties and 2 losses to show since.

We had a fantastic first half tonight against Conference USA foe Charlotte, disappointing 0-0 to end the half. Fought back after going down 1 in the 2nd half. Beautiful shot from senior Flannery for the equalizer. She brings tremendous energy to the attacking third (all season long). Gave up a heartbreaking goal towards the end resulting in ONLY our second home conference match loss since 2007!

We need to shrug this one off and get after a traveling East Carolina team who grabbed a 1-0 win against SMU tonight. We still have a chance to make the conference tournament which is always exciting because of its knockout bracket. I’m saying there’s still a chance..GMG

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Shotshagger said:

Unfortunately, this thread did not age well. Ladies have 2 ties and 2 losses to show since.

We had a fantastic first half tonight against Conference USA foe Charlotte, disappointing 0-0 to end the half. Fought back after going down 1 in the 2nd half. Beautiful shot from senior Flannery for the equalizer. She brings tremendous energy to the attacking third (all season long). Gave up a heartbreaking goal towards the end resulting in ONLY our second home conference match loss since 2007!

We need to shrug this one off and get after a traveling East Carolina team who grabbed a 1-0 win against SMU tonight. We still have a chance to make the conference tournament which is always exciting because of its knockout bracket. I’m saying there’s still a chance..GMG

Sad going from an NCAA lock to fighting to even make Conference Tournament is not a good look. 

• Upvote 1

**From a soccer novice point of view**

Stupid system Hedlund runs.  It works when you have a talent advantage, but USF made us look silly controlling the ball with a much better technical game.  They controlled the ball and worked their way down the "pitch", but ever time we got the ball, we went for the home run.  We end up having trouble controlling those balls we get to and don't get off good shots.  Really frustrating because I think we have the talent to run a better system.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I would assume they did the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Stupid system Hedlund runs.  It works when you have a talent advantage, but USF made us look silly controlling the ball with a much better technical game.  They controlled the ball and worked their way down the "pitch", but ever time we got the ball, we went for the home run.  We end up having trouble controlling those balls we get to and don't get off good shots.  Really frustrating because I think we have the talent to run a better system.

Can’t disagree with your assessment. Athleticism and speed up top has always carried us, up until the past several yrs. Other teams, including Conference USA, have recruited and transitioned to possession. The dump it in hockey-style, unfortunately, is not as effective but I can see a movement in the right direction for UNT. Transfer portal acquisitions this yr and last have trickled the style to us. I see this trend continuing so Hedlund may not have a choice but to jump on board.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Shotshagger said:

Can’t disagree with your assessment. Athleticism and speed up top has always carried us, up until the past several yrs. Other teams, including Conference USA, have recruited and transitioned to possession. The dump it in hockey-style, unfortunately, is not as effective but I can see a movement in the right direction for UNT. Transfer portal acquisitions this yr and last have trickled the style to us. I see this trend continuing so Hedlund may not have a choice but to jump on board.

Agree! Top teams in this new conference are international players, period! Just pull up the rosters/stats of Memphis, USF, ECU, top goal scorer for SMU and even the kid that scored last night for Charlotte! JH will have to get out of his DFW comfort zone on recruiting to win another title! Second, this team that was on a role hit a flood of injuries starting with losing their best defender to an ACL at the end of the UTSA road win! They have never been the same team since! Last night I think I counted six injured on the sideline including their top forward from last year who is now out for the year with a fracture! It’s unfortunate and injuries are apart of the game but this is too many especially to key players! Last night I saw the score of Rice tying USF 1-1…NT blew out Rice 6-0 earlier in the year!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This is kinda like saying, hypothetically, that NT football runs a dumb offense because the Air Raid is not like other teams’ ground game, ball-control offenses.  

The longball is deadly when you have a good defense & lethal forwards… which is exactly what NT has been strong in over the past few decades.  You can bypass the midfield when you see an opportunity.  
Not having Burnell hurts bad.  Think like if Maclin went down with injury.  That’s a huge weapon that really stretches the field & puts pressure on the opponent’s safeties (or, in soccer, the center backs).  Sure, you can change your style to more dink/dunk/quick throws, but that’s tough to implement mid-season.

And, as Blurbeard mentioned, losing a bright young defender in Renfro hurts the back line.  You have to be able to win the ball before you can send it!

All that to say, you must have extremely high standards to call out the winningest coach in NTs history (regardless of sport).  Be sure to keep that same energy for the gridiron coaches (who routinely struggle to reach .500)!

• Upvote 1