Austin neighbor booms as 4th fastest-growing U.S. college town, report says

cousin oliver

Austin might be one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., but there's one Central Texas city that's outdoing the state capital. A new study by university scholarship website BrokeScholar has deemed San Marcos the No. 4 fastest-growing college town in the country.

San Marcos' population in 2000 was 36,120; in 2023 the population has nearly doubled to 70,372. For scale, U.S. News and World Report says Texas State University had an undergraduate enrollment of 33,175 in the fall of 2021. 

It's not just a university or its enrollment that attracts newcomers, the study says, but the "cultural oasis" that the college towns maintain.

"These collegiate strongholds benefit from an influx of new residents eager to enjoy a good football game and an existing mix of music, culture, and young energy," the report's author wrote.

San Marcos is a hub for cultural growth, with its community of local artists and countless recreational activities. A popular kayak tour along the San Marcos River won a Texas Travel Award earlier this year for the best outdoor activity.

BrokeScholar estimates the city's population to expand to over 86,000 people by 2030, and nearly 154,000 people by 2050.

read more: https://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/popular-college-towns-san-marcos/

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

NO MORE TEXAS SCHOOLS IN THE AMERICAN, PLEASE.  DON’T WE REMEMBER HOW THAT WAS A PROBLEM WITH SOME IN THE SWC?  

UT-AUSTIN DROPOUTS & FLUNK OUTS NEED THE SAN MARCOS SCHOOL—THE AAC DOES NOT.  

IF WE GET THE BLACK KNIGHTS, ARMY WILL BE MORE THAN ADEQUATE & YOU WHO WERE IN APOGEE (DATCU) ON A BEAUTIFUL NOVEMBER FALL DAY A FEW YRS AGO WILL PROBABLY AGREE.

gmg!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

The whole I-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio has exploded in population over the last 20 years.  Kyle, just north of San Marcos, is the 3rd fastest growing city in the whole US.   Austin has gotten too expensive and the schools crummier, so folks keep moving outward.

Yes I figured.   I just was seeing about how Texas State might be an option for the American and figured the article would be topical given their consideration.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 9/20/2023 at 1:42 PM, cousin oliver said:

Yes I figured.   I just was seeing about how Texas State might be an option for the American and figured the article would be topical given their consideration.

The AAC already has UTSA in nearby San Antonio.  TSU-San Marcos (their real school name) would not be a better choice than Army, or other new media markets.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

They had no problem picking us when they already had SMU.

AAC Commissioner Aresco probably knew once we were invited SMU probably already had one of their social-climbing queen’s leg out the AAC door & he for sure did not want the MWC grabbing UNT to have a Texas presence. 
I liked the NCAA better when it was not all about politics & amateur-killing NIL & the “too easy to transfer” portal.  
QUESTION:  How are the 6 UNT lost to the portal faring thus far in 2023 (even though the season is still young)? 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2