Happy birthday coach mac

Dannymacfan

6 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Coach Mac is at a minimum in the top 5 of all time football coaches

Not a chance.  He had the 13th best winning percentage of NT coaches, and had driven the program into the ground by the time he left.  The 2013 season was great, no doubt about it, but his legacy and UNT's football program would have been left in far better shape if he he had left right after that season.

But sure, I have no problem wishing him a Happy Birthday.

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

I was just thinking that Coach Mac is at a minimum in the top 5 of all time football coaches and should be given consideration to the HOF.  Before someone throws water on it, remember Darryl Dickey made the HOF and other less deserving coaches.

You talking about our HOF or the College Football HOF?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I was just thinking that Coach Mac is at a minimum in the top 5 of all time football coaches and should be given consideration to the HOF.  Before someone throws water on it, remember Darryl Dickey made the HOF and other less deserving coaches.

As far as I'm considered, thank him for his contributions but ban him from HOF consideration for his negligence in recruiting, and a record breaking loss to Portland State that embarrassed us on a national level and completely erased any and all positives he had established.

Darryl Dickey is less deserving.  I've thought before, you might be on crack but, holy balls you are off your rocker wrong on this.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not a chance.  He had the 13th best winning percentage of NT coaches, and had driven the program into the ground by the time he left.  The 2013 season was great, no doubt about it, but his legacy and UNT's football program would have been left in far better shape if he he had left right after that season.

But sure, I have no problem wishing him a Happy Birthday.

I think you’re right.  Love and appreciate him.  He changed our culture for the better, got us tougher, won a bowl game.  Plenty to be grateful for.  Also, couldn’t recruit in the modern era here, had some personal/health issues that probably didn’t help and by the time Portland St rolled into town he was just empty.  I admire the man and respect and appreciate his contributions.  He ran out of steam here and his style didn’t adjust to modern day college football (I also think our fundraising situations were guilty of that then (and now) which didn’t help).  Forever grateful for that super green happy day in the cotton bowl on 1/1/14 though. 

• Upvote 1