Softball Series with FAU

Last night UNT beat FAU by a score of 2-1 in 8 Innings. Simon had a monster game. She hit a homerun in the top of the 8th to give UNT the lead, and then snagged an incredible line drive in the bottom of the 8th to get our 3rd out and secure the win. If she doesn't make that catch, FAU's runner on 1st may have scored and tied the game up. Just an incredible night for Simon. Smith also had a good night. She provided the other half of the scoring hitting a homerun earlier in the game. Petters had another solid outing and got the win. 

Here is the article about the game.

Simon Lifts Softball to Victory - University of North Texas Athletics (meangreensports.com)

This is the quote most of us have been waiting to hear from this team......

"Tonight's win meant everything for us," Simon said. "We've had our struggles this season but last week we talked about not waiting until the conference tournament to play with urgency. We came into today's game with the mindset that we can't be beat, and we will do whatever it takes to win."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT offense shows up big today. Wagoner pitches a great game and gets a pair of RBI's too. The Mean Green are now up 2-0 in the weekend series. Game 3 starts at noon tomorrow. 

UNT 5

FAU 1

Final

I think most of us fans feel it’s about winning the conference tournament now especially with 20+ losses on the year! Still can’t wrap my head around getting swept by Mizzou…says a lot about CUSA! Tournament champion will be the only team sniffing post season this year!

Edited by blurbeard

Great new. Not trying to rain on the day, but the thing about this team that has driven me crazy all year is how we're not good at the basics and doing the "little" things -

See if you can sport it - 

I might be nitpicking, but with a player in scoring position, especially a player on 3rd, you never leave your bat in or near the basepath 

• Eye Roll 2

Nice sweep....Ashley pitches a 9 inning shutout........

She won two games down there....Wagoner won one. 

And the star of the position players: Cierra Simon. Key hits....and a huge defensive play to end game 1

And suddenly at 14-7.....our gals our only one game out of first (behind UAB)....with a 3-game conference series, at home......next weekend. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We need to sweep and have Charlotte win 2 of 3!

Yup. I don't think either Charlotte or UAB can pull a sweep against each other next weekend. But it's going to go down to the wire to see who gets the regular season title. If UNT can play mistake free ball against MT, I like our chances.

This is another regular season title that will be heading to the AAC. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe

17 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yup. I don't think either Charlotte or UAB can pull a sweep against each other next weekend. But it's going to go down to the wire to see who gets the regular season title. If UNT can play mistake free ball against MT, I like our chances.

This is another regular season title that will be heading to the AAC. 

I am still unclear on how Charlotte playing one less game (due to a cancellation of a game against MTSU) will come into play if we end up with the same number of wins or losses. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am still unclear on how Charlotte playing one less game (due to a cancellation of a game against MTSU) will come into play if we end up with the same number of wins or losses. 

I'm sure they'll go by winning percentage in conference. 

5 minutes ago, SUMG said:

I'm sure they'll go by winning percentage in conference. 

So we need Charlotte to win 2 of the 3. Any other outcome assuming we sweep, puts us in 2nd

If we sweep, we will be at 17-7 = .7083
If UAB wins two or more, they have the head-to-head and win the conference
If Charlotte wins 2/3, they will be 16-7 = .6957
If Charlotte wins 3/3, they will be 17-6 = .7391

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1