Big 12 ready to expand?

El Paso Eagle

Don't get me wrong, if we had the opportunity I am sure we would jump at the Pac 12 and I am sure SMU will, but there is more talk the Big 12 will now focus on expanding. I think they end up at 16. 

Expansion is the 3rd of 3 goals that Yormark set for his 1st year in office:
1 TV deal
2 OU/Texas exit
3 Further expansion

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-2024

Many have speculated the Big 12 could make a play for the Pac-12's Four Corners schools (Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah) but, much like how the Big Ten initially targeted Missouri before acquiring Nebraska, the conference may talk itself into going after Oregon and Washington.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Don't get me wrong, if we had the opportunity I am sure we would jump at the Pac 12 and I am sure SMU will, but there is more talk the Big 12 will now focus on expanding. I think they end up at 16. 

Expansion is the 3rd of 3 goals that Yormark set for his 1st year in office:
1 TV deal
2 OU/Texas exit
3 Further expansion

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-oklahoma-joining-sec-2024

Many have speculated the Big 12 could make a play for the Pac-12's Four Corners schools (Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah) but, much like how the Big Ten initially targeted Missouri before acquiring Nebraska, the conference may talk itself into going after Oregon and Washington.

The Big 12 has already said it wants in all four time zones (ie targeting PAC teams).   Oregon and Washington really want to follow UCLA/USC to the Big10, and i think they will hold out for that option as long as the PAC stays viable. 

I believe the Big12 will target the four corner schools first.  That will happen when the Pac media $$ estimates are made known and the PAC schools can compare to the Big12's contract.

• Upvote 1

Notre Dame has no intentions of joining a conference because of their incredibly lucrative media deal. The BIG10 wants to lure Notre Dame into a scheduling alliance by possibly hoarding all of Notre Dame's traditional rivals outside of Boston College and the service academies.

The BIG10 doesn't have an urgent need to invite Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington, but they certainly don't want to see them go to the ACC and keep Notre Dame more comfortable there.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:33 PM, NT80 said:

The Big 12 has already said it wants in all four time zones (ie targeting PAC teams).   Oregon and Washington really want to follow UCLA/USC to the Big10, and i think they will hold out for that option as long as the PAC stays viable. 

I believe the Big12 will target the four corner schools first.  That will happen when the Pac media $$ estimates are made known and the PAC schools can compare to the Big12's contract.

Would the Big 12 really want Utah if they already pulled in BYU?

14 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Whoever Notre Dame goes to will have it all, really. Big XII and PAC 12 are in a position to offer enough, but likely won't win, even over independence. 

LOL.   Notre Dame would never join a declining Big12 or Pac12.  They are in the footprint of the Big10 and have many natural rivals there.  They will join them if access to the CFP is limited for an independent, and/or they want an all-sports conference.